Iran Overturns Death Sentence for KumaWar Dev

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Iran Overturns Death Sentence for KumaWar Dev

Judges have declared that the verdict in the case against U.S.-Iranian citizen Amir Mirzai Hekmati is "not complete."

Having been detained in Iran in August 2010, Kuma Reality Games designer and former U.S. Marine Amir Mirzai Hekmati was convicted of spying for the CIA and releasing propaganda through videogames [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115142-Iran-Sentences-Game-Developer-To-Death] by the Iranian Revolutionary Court in January of this year. The punishment for his crimes, by verdict of the Court, was to be death.

In view of various criticisms brought against the case, however, Iran's Supreme Court has now overturned Hetkmati's death sentence after finding that his verdict is "not complete."

This week judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei revealed the overturned verdict in a press conference in Tehran. According to the BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17261257], he gave the following brief statement: "There were objections to the verdict by the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court found shortcomings in the case and sent it for review by an affiliate court."

While this doesn't mean that Hekmati can expect to be released from custody in the near future (the U.S. government has been calling for his release since last August, and continues to do so), the verdict is seen as being a step in the right direction. Additionally, Hekmati's mother was reportedly allowed to visit both her son and state officials in Iran last month. Some analysts see this move as a sign that the judges will take Hekmati's family situation into account going forward, in particular the future of his young daughter.

The Supreme Court should further clarify its position soon. In the meantime, the U.S. will continue to apply diplomatic pressure for Hekmati's release. We'll keep an eye out for updates, but something tells me that Hekmati's family might be too busy at the moment to draft a formal statement for today's news.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17261257]

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Like they were really wiling to execute this guy. They just wanted to get some limelight in the news between all the stupid that's going on with the Republican primaries.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Seraj said:
I did say this would happen, it always happens.
Well, in cases you hear about there tends to be a happy ending or positive developments. It's rare that a lot of the more negative cases get covered in the mainstream media, which is one of the things people like me complain about, and why we refer to the media's "peace at any price" movement so negatively.

In this case if the guy really does work for the CIA, and it seems likely (you wouldn't expect them to admit it, but this is exactly the kind of psychological warfare that has been worked on for years) that actually gives Iran room to negotiate since if the CIA tosses someone like this to the dogs, it discourages other people from getting involved in this kind of operation which is differant from regular spycraft.

I wouldn't be surprised if the death threat was a matter of leverage, and somewhere behind the scenes The CIA is releasing, or loosening up on, one of their people in return, and for obvious reasons your not going to hear about that kind of thing very often (though it does happen).

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
Therumancer said:
Seraj said:
I did say this would happen, it always happens.
Well, in cases you hear about there tends to be a happy ending or positive developments. It's rare that a lot of the more negative cases get covered in the mainstream media, which is one of the things people like me complain about, and why we refer to the media's "peace at any price" movement so negatively.

In this case if the guy really does work for the CIA, and it seems likely (you wouldn't expect them to admit it, but this is exactly the kind of psychological warfare that has been worked on for years) that actually gives Iran room to negotiate since if the CIA tosses someone like this to the dogs, it discourages other people from getting involved in this kind of operation which is differant from regular spycraft.

I wouldn't be surprised if the death threat was a matter of leverage, and somewhere behind the scenes The CIA is releasing, or loosening up on, one of their people in return, and for obvious reasons your not going to hear about that kind of thing very often (though it does happen).
What I meant was, from when I read the original article - the very first thing that came to my mind was. Pffft, Iran isn't going to go through with this.

And wallah. So far, looks like I'm right.

Although why is anyones guess. You could be right, you could be wrong. My opinion is that Iran just wanted some time on the screen "Hey look at me, I'm spitting right between Uncle Sam's eyes!!!"

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
So wait, they're not gonna execute him... but they're still imprisoning him? Ugh... can't the US go to war with Iran already and stop them from pulling this kind of shit? I mean, it's gonna happen sooner or later, can't we just get it over it?

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
KILGAZOR said:
So wait, they're not gonna execute him... but they're still imprisoning him? Ugh... can't the US go to war with Iran already and stop them from pulling this kind of shit? I mean, it's gonna happen sooner or later, can't we just get it over it?
People like you scare me.

Look, I'm an American, and (relatively) proud of my country, but what in the world are you thinking asking for a war with country as turbulent and culturally divisive as Iran? Every single attempt at bringing peace and unity to Iran (and the rest of the Middle East, for that matter) has ended in utter disaster. There is no possible way for a war with Iran to end well. Didn't we learn from the failed War on "Terror" in Iraq and Afghanistan, both of which have lasted far longer than originally projected and produced almost no long-term positive results.

Even if you think we should (I personally don't, but its a sensitive issue and I don't want to argue about it), it didn't work when the British tried at the peak of their colonial power, and it sure as hell wouldn't work now, at least not the way we wage war nowadays.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ah, Supreme Courts, putting the metaphorical boot in the groin of anyones plans at total random.

Though its not as if this guys death is going to mean much between USA and Iran, i doubt one guys death is going to have the US Army trotting right back into the middle east. Especially against a (suspected) nuclear power.

Alrocsmash

Mar 7, 2011
KILGAZOR said:
And put the final nail in our economy's coffin? The USA is not the world police anymore. Why you ask? We cannot afford it. We need to stop blundering around 3rd world countries, which we really accomplish nothing ie see Iraq x 2, Somalia, Afghanistan, Libya( The UN bombed Libya, and we 100% finance the UN). The Middle East has been fighting over a 100 mile strip of land for over 3000 years. Do you think that the US bombing them....again....will change anything? We need to fix our home economy before we waste trillions of dollars playing in the sand somewhere.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Alrocsmash said:
KILGAZOR said:
And put the final nail in our economy's coffin? The USA is not the world police anymore. Why you ask? We cannot afford it. We need to stop blundering around 3rd world countries, which we really accomplish nothing ie see Iraq x 2, Somalia, Afghanistan, Libya( The UN bombed Libya, and we 100% finance the UN). The Middle East has been fighting over a 100 mile strip of land for over 3000 years. Do you think that the US bombing them....again....will change anything? We need to fix our home economy before we waste trillions of dollars playing in the sand somewhere.
This. A country that's at least 14 trillion dollars in debt and failed to produce lasting positive results in a decade-long war should not be trying to jump right into another war.