Tribes: Ascend Trailer Works Some Dead Island Mojo

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tribes: Ascend Trailer Works Some Dead Island Mojo

The new Tribes: Ascend trailer is a touching, heart-wrenching, reverse-slo-mo cinematic experience that might strike you as just a wee bit familiar.

Remember that sorrowful Dead Island trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2773-Dead-Island-Trailer] that made the rounds last year, the one with the little girl who falls to her death after her father can't save her from a zombie apocalypse? It's okay if you cried when you first saw it; it's one of the most uniquely moving videogame promotional trailers ever made.

Now imagine all that sadness with the added tragedy of almost having the flag and then BOOM! Some jerk pastes you from behind and suddenly you're doing a ragdoll swan dive off a 50-meter platform, and it's respawn time.

Is it the most original trailer ever? No. Is it awesome? Absolutely. Remember, kids: "Friends don't let friends llama. Gotta go fast."

The PC-exclusive, free-to-play Tribes: Ascend [https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/] is currently in open beta and set to go live on April 12.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I would think of a smart reply but i need to play more tribes ascend.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I wonder if they've mentioned how expensive classes are yet... Cause they ain't cheap I'm telling ya.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Kinda funny how almost everyone seem to miss the real tradegy. The guy going for the flag at speed, just to have mr. llama take it RIGHT in front of him and immediately die.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Feriluce said:
Kinda funny how almost everyone seem to miss the real tradegy. The guy going for the flag at speed, just to have mr. llama take it RIGHT in front of him and immediately die.
That's the best part. You just see the capper in slo-mo just about to get the flag, and the llama just takes it right before he gets to it. That would piss me off so much.

Hilarious trailer.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
That was hilarious. Some tears may have escaped my eyes during the duration of this trailer.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Played the closed Beta, nope this is boring. Played the open Beta, still boring. The game is free to play? maybe third time lucky!

Although I seriously doubt it, the battlegrounds look like they're from Mass Effect 1's Mako sections, and who liked those desolate places?

gee666

One Sad Act
Nov 10, 2009
The tragidy was the guy that nearly got the flag only for slow ass lama to ruin the day

(Butcher got what he deserved if you ask me)

Diamond sword all the way

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
lol is it just me or did they steal some of the voice acts from unreal?? mwahaha still i think this game might end up soakin up much of my time - unless firefall pulls their rather bizzare concept off

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I only have one question about this game. Can players run servers and what are the player # limits? If its still up at 128 or 256 player capable. I'll definately be getting it. If its 64 or 32 .. I'll let it pass.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I love it, and I really like Tribes ascend. Though, I don't have a good enough computer to run it well :(

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I know that it won't be cool to admit this, but I've never heard the term "llama" used in this context. Is it only used in tribes or have I just been playing the wrong games?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
endtherapture said:
Shazbot is the best fictional swear word ever.
This man beat me on the first post.

OT:Cool, I loved Aerial Assault.