Senior GAME Execs Warned of Looming Administration

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Senior GAME Execs Warned of Looming Administration

Senior management at U.K. retailer GAME have been told to prepare for the company's entry into administration.

It looks increasingly likely that the Game Group's struggle to survive will come to naught, as senior executives were reportedly told today that if the company doesn't have its house in order within the next two weeks, it will be forced to enter administration, effectively bringing it to an end.

Game's best hope remains an acquisition by a rival company, which we all know means GameStop. Rumors of GameStop's reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116082-Australia-Hampers-Potential-GAME-Takeover] suggest that the U.S. retailer is giving a serious eyeballing to Game's 291 stores in Spain and Portugal, although neither company has confirmed the interest.

Game is also attempting to goose its revenue stream with an "fire sale" in its U.K. stores that MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/d-day-looms-for-game/092556?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2Fstream+%28MCV%3A+Home+Stream%29] says has resulted in "alarmingly low prices," in the hopes of bringing in enough cash to keep the lights on for a few more days while it tries to sort things out.

Game refused to comment on the report of looming administration, which is no great surprise, but it seems clear now that one way or another, the company's struggles will soon be over. In the meantime, if you happen to live in the vicinity of a Game outlet in the U.K., this might be a good time to pop in and score some deals. No sense letting a good bankruptcy go to waste!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Went into GAME yesterday to see if I could offload my reward points...still wasn't anything good.

Did however get CoD: WaW in the fire sale for free today... still though most of the stuff in their fire-sale was out of stock.

If they weren't so overpriced normally they could be doing well.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
As long as we have CEX, I do not care. Because CEX is awesome and cheap and awesome.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Fire sale you say? Hmmmm... Now I have to balance taking the long trip to the nearest GAME, or stay home and play ME3. It's a tough choice for sure. Though GAME never has a good stock of PC games anyway.

Zanethedamned

Oct 17, 2011
I did think something was up with the prices today, picked up 5 games for £13. Things like Gears of War 1 and 2 for £1.98 each and Infamous 2 for £7.98.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
thenumberthirteen said:
Fire sale you say? Hmmmm... Now I have to balance taking the long trip to the nearest GAME, or stay home and play ME3. It's a tough choice for sure. Though GAME never has a good stock of PC games anyway.
From what I've seen both in the stores today and in the online sale, PC games are still overpriced compared to Steam sales, Amazon.etc - it's the console games that have been massively reduced.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
VonKlaw said:
thenumberthirteen said:
From what I've seen both in the stores today and in the online sale, PC games are still overpriced compared to Steam sales, Amazon.etc - it's the console games that have been massively reduced.
Yeah looking on their website there are a couple of ok deals. The Old Republic Collector's edition is neat, and MSFSX is only a tenner. Though I've goten some of those games cheaper on Steam (like LA Noire). I'll save myself the money for the trip (plus lunch, plus however much I spend in CEX and Forbidden Planet).

SocchamZ

Pro Crastinator
Jan 5, 2011
I just nailed a collector's edition of The Old Republic for £49.99. Last one in the store :)

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Im going in tomorrow to unload my Reward Points and get Jak & Daxter HD Collection tomorrow and maybe Space Marine considering it is £2. I couldn't be happier that GAME is going under, they ruined a lot of independent game stores.

THESE PRICES ARE SO LOW IT'S LIKE THEY'RE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!

JasonKaotic said:
As long as we have CEX, I do not care. Because CEX is awesome and cheap and awesome.
Cex doesnt stock new stuff, they run on used sales and games make up a large portion of their revenue. If GAME goes under Cex will take a hard blow.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Toilet said:
Im going in tomorrow to unload my Reward Points and get Jak & Daxter HD Collection tomorrow and maybe Space Marine considering it is £2. I couldn't be happier that GAME is going under, they ruined a lot of independent game stores.

JasonKaotic said:
Cex doesnt stock new stuff, they run on used sales.
But still, they are awesome, cheap, and awesome. Also they are cheap. And awesome.
(They do occasionally sell preowned new releases though, they just get snatched before you get a chance to buy them)

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
JasonKaotic said:
Toilet said:

JasonKaotic said:
Cex doesnt stock new stuff, they run on used sales.
But still, they are awesome, cheap, and awesome. Also they are cheap. And awesome.
(They do occasionally sell preowned new releases though, they just get snatched before you get a chance to buy them)
Aye, they have really good prices. When I want to buy a game I always check in Cex to see if they have it in. A large majority of my physical game library is from Cex, the five games I am playing through now are from there.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The news doesn't surpise me, well I was expecting it sicne yesterday I got a email from GAMES Newsletter that they got thousand of games for sales and the local GAME over here were offering preown DSI for a very cheap price. I laught how the newsletter had a preorder link to the upcoming Pokemon Black and White 2, as if that's even possible to preorder!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Ahh, fun times. Ever since the crap they pulled with the Space Marine launch I've been hoping they would go under, even though I live in the US where they don't exist.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Went into GameStation and Game earlier today to check out the firesales, and Game is still more expensive. Anyway, picked up 5 Xbox 360 games for £10.40, so that's a good deal. Might pop up again tomorrow to see what I missed.

der freizutchs

Mar 10, 2012
whilst gaming is moving towards DD(digital distribution) its a shame people IRL are affect by it (alot of my buds work in game shops ) :(

Comando96

May 26, 2009
I have money on my Game card that I need to offload before its too late :eek:

Well if your house has burned down you may as well cook your dinner on it :)