New Mod Blends Team Fortress 2 With Bomberman

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
New Mod Blends Team Fortress 2 With Bomberman

Classic action title meets modern multiplayer king in Demomen.

What do you get when you combine the explosive, corridor-exploring gameplay of Bomberman with the modern physics and charming characters of Valve Software's Team Fortress 2? "Nostalgic excitement for twentysomething gamers around the world" is a solid answer, but more accurately, you get Demomen, a new modification created by modders "Mecha The Slag" and "Lefonna."

As you can see from the footage above, the game is pretty much exactly what you're imagining. In place of the kawaii Bomberfolk that originally populated Hudson's classic with their explosive, homicidal antics, we see Team Fortress 2's cyclopean Demoman tossing bombs at walls, ducking for cover and hoping against hope that no one remembered to program in Bomberman's collection of sadistic power-ups.

Seriously, roller skates? How did that ever seem like a good idea?

Those of you hoping to experience this thing first-hand can find the map on rotation in the modders' TF2 server via Valve's in-game browser. Those of you who can't be bothered have obviously lost whatever sense of childish glee we humans derive from things that go boom.

You have our condolences.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/12/team-fortress-2-mod-recreates-bomberman-with-demomen/]

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
From the video this looks slightly broken as of now, but the mod has potential I guess...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I wasn't a fan of Bomberman in the first place, I only played Bomberman 64, it was pretty good, but nothing remarkable, but it had a really fun multiplayer. After watching that video, I want to make things explode once again :)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Mecha_the_Slag? The dude's a goddamned guru with the Source Engine. He's made popular gamemodes like TF2Ware (I think there was an article before), Zombie Fortress, Parkour Fortress, and Advanced Weaponizer. Really, every TF2 player should try out at least one of these gamemodes, they add a breath of fresh air before you start tasting something you don't like about them.