Toronto Duo Aims For Gaming Marathon World Record

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Toronto Duo Aims For Gaming Marathon World Record

A couple of guys from Toronto are trying to set a new world record for the longest continuous videogame session ever.

"Toronto the Good" is a fine city, one of the finest in the world, and the pride of Canadians from coast to coast. It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League, a beacon of good governance and soon, if a couple of intrepid young lads named Christopher Gloyd and Timothy Bell can keep their wits about them, will be home to the holders of the Guinness World Record for the longest continuous videogaming session ever.

And how long is the longest videogaming session ever? 109 freakin' hours, which translates into more than four-and-a-half days of solid gaming. The pair were up to about 31 hours of 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Fall-Of-Man-playstation-3/dp/B000JLIXIG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331673401&sr=8-4] at last check, which means that around lunchtime tomorrow they'll have also passed the record for the longest continuous FPS session, which stands at little over 51 hours.

The "action" is taking place in the PlayStation lounge of EB Games' flagship store in Toronto, where the whole thing is being filmed for verification by the Guinness people and also livestreamed at ebgames.ca [http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/worldrecord/]. The clock currently stands at a little over 31 hours and at this point they appear a little bored but not actually delirious or functionally impaired. We'll see if that's still the case on Thursday; this gaming marathon began at 10 am on March 12 and, barring wuss-outs or spontaneous unconsciousness, will continue until noon on March 16.

Good luck, chaps - The Center of the Universe is counting on you!

via: GameFocus [http://www.gamefocus.ca/news/16318.html]

Ceratops

Jan 25, 2012
They are playing Resistance 3 as well. Wish I lived in TO to check it out, unfortunately I'm waterlogged in Newfoundland :p

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"Toronto the Good" is a fine city, one of the finest in the world, and the pride of Canadians from coast to coast. It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League, a beacon of good governance
As an Albertan, that strikes me as the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life.

OT: I wonder if "loading" time counts towards their gaming, like if they are changing games or waiting while a game loads. If they can change games, then this is just a matter of endurance and sleep timing. If they cannot change games, then this is a matter of how sane can they stay for how long.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Torrasque said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Toronto the Good" is a fine city, one of the finest in the world, and the pride of Canadians from coast to coast. It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League, a beacon of good governance
As an Albertan, that strikes me as the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life.

OT: I wonder if "loading" time counts towards their gaming, like if they are changing games or waiting while a game loads. If they can change games, then this is just a matter of endurance and sleep timing. If they cannot change games, then this is a matter of how sane can they stay for how long.
I'm from Ottawa and I concur with the Albertan. And respected Hockey Team? Boo, I hate the Leafs.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
"...host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League"

HAHA
wait...Did Toronto get another team?
Oh, you're just talking about the Leafs? Let me laugh harder then..
HAHAHAHAHAHA

No Cup since back when the NHL only had 6 teams. Yeah, they're just oozing respect. :p

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
They will be keeping the makers of Red Bull, 5-hour Energy and instant coffee in business for YEARS!!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
COME ON CANADA!

"Toronto the Good" is a fine city, one of the finest in the world, and the pride of Canadians from coast to coast.

It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League

Toronto is known over here as the wannabe New York of Canada. I remember reading an article [http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/14/torontos-war-on-fun/] about that 'beacon of good governance'.

Gaming for that long can't be healthy but hey, as long as the record is held by Canadians I don't care where they live! XD

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Torrasque said:
Andy Chalk said:

I'm from Ottawa and I concur with the Albertan. And respected Hockey Team? Boo, I hate the Leafs.
The Leafs are the most hated team in the NHL. Vancouver is trying to be #1 hated, but nothing compares to the ire we all have for Toronto.

Here's a good joke: Toronto, Stanley Cup Champions.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Torrasque said:
Andy Chalk said:

I live just north of Toronto, and no, most people here are not huge fans. It's alright, really. That's it.

OT: Hell, I may go check it out. Why the hell not? Good luck to them.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Redlin5 said:
Gaming for that long can't be healthy but hey, as long as the record is held by Canadians I don't care where they live! XD
I think a friend of mine and I can shatter this record by playing Halo for a whole week. That, or D2... D2 for a whole week would be awesome.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Torrasque said:
Redlin5 said:
I think a friend of mine and I can shatter this record by playing Halo for a whole week. That, or D2... D2 for a whole week would be awesome.
Do it, film it, live it. Then go nuts and double your own record! :D

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"Toronto the Good" is a fine city, one of the finest in the world, and the pride of Canadians from coast to coast. It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League...
Meanwhile, Toronto is the most mocked city in the country and their hockey team is the biggest joke (go Habs). Chalk's trolling is undetectable for the non-Canadians.

Also I kind of want to watch what happens when delirium sets in...just out of curiosity of course.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Hrmm, an admirable challenge. However, something I'd personally like to see: Some guys playing Noby Noby Boy for 103 hours straight? EPIC-LEVEL CHALLENGE!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I hope they don't suddenly drop dead from a deep vein thrombosis.

Deep vein thrombesei.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Redlin5 said:
Torrasque said:
Redlin5 said:
Do it, film it, live it. Then go nuts and double your own record! :D
I wonder what the specifications of this record are. Is the record for 2 people different from 3 people? 5 people? 4 people taking turns would be easy.
Does the gaming have to be on one console? Or can they play DS then PS3, and switch between the two?

De Bureau

Apr 21, 2010
"the pride of Canadians from coast to coast. It's host to one of the most respected teams in the National Hockey League"

Oh man, I lost it

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Torrasque said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Torrasque said:
Andy Chalk said:

The Leafs are the most hated team in the NHL. Vancouver is trying to be #1 hated, but nothing compares to the ire we all have for Toronto.

Here's a good joke: Toronto, Stanley Cup Champions.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Yeah, from Toronto here, and while I will say I love it here... we all know the Leafs suck. Well, enough of us do, anyways. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that Canada in general has a problem with us (though obviously I don't know why). Who wants to bet that holding the record for most consecutive hours videogaming isn't going to help?