Hoth Goes Live in Latest Star Wars Galaxies Update

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Hoth Goes Live in Latest Star Wars Galaxies Update

In which we dare you to name an original trilogy title where the ice planet does not appear.

For a planet that's supposably devoid of human life, the Greater Javin ice cube sure loves playing host to epic battles. In the latest update to Sony Online Entertainment's Battle of Echo Base [http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/index.vm] has been added as a new battlefield for the Galactic Civil War. Rebel players will be tasked with evacuating the fabled base while those in the Imperial army will do what they do best, killing Rebels.

What would a battle on Hoth be without giant AT-AT vehicles and enough snowspeeders and tow hooks to dismantle them? The Echo Base area features controllable vehicles for both sides of the conflict, as well as appearances by Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and R2-D2. This is starting to sound a lot like a dream I've been having every night for the past twenty years.

It's surprising to think that a Star Wars MMOG that takes place during the original trilogy didn't receive its obligatory Hoth level until five years into its life span, having been featured in just about every single Star Wars game that includes events from "The Empire Strikes Back." To that point, Factor 5 managed to sneak it into not one, not two, but all three of their Star Wars: Rogue Squadron titles. Do you still get excited when you think of the Battle of Echo Base? Which games have best handled the Hoth experience and do you think there's more that can be done to improve upon it? I think if they could just add a Hoth segment to Star Tours [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Tours_%28real-world%29], they'll have done all that is possible.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Id forgot SWG was still active. Glad they finally got the kewlest battle of the films to play in again...& again...& again

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Id forgot SWG was still active.
Same, actually. I quite liked the Battlefront incarnation(s?) of Hoth personally. Not my favourite map from the games but certainly one of the best versions of Hoth I've played.

Stringytank

Oct 8, 2008
Used to play this game a long time ago, but as my friend tells me, their is pretty much no one on anymore.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok i might be about to make a big star wars mistake but aren't those big walkers AT-ATs? With AT-STs being the two legged ones.

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Ok i might be about to make a big star wars mistake but aren't those big walkers AT-ATs? With AT-STs being the two legged ones.
Nope, you're right. Thanks.

Also, I played SWG for a good two years, I'd say. I quit around the time the New Game Experience went live because while SWG combat was slow and boring, now it's fast, broken and totally awful. I'd rather have slow and boring, but reliable.

Feb 13, 2008
Jared Rea said:
Also, I played SWG for a good two years, I'd say. I quit around the time the New Game Experience went live because while SWG combat was slow and boring, now it's fast, broken and totally awful. I'd rather have slow and boring, but reliable.
The NGE turned SW:G from a nerd's paradise into a ghost zone. The knock on effects killed every single aspect of the gameplay right from character creation.

It'd be like including Doc Manhattan in Team Fortress 2.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
I thought that this game was a corpse since a few years back

Why even bother releasing it now?

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
So Vader, Luke, and R2-D2 appear on the map? This means that the NPC's officially outnumber the amount of people that are playing the game still. Besides, if I was playing Galaxies the last place I'd want to go to is Hoth. Thanks to all the Star War games, I now hate Hoth with a passion.

jyd

Jan 15, 2005
This game is not only alive it is getting more and more members. If you have never played it might be worth your time to try it and if you did and quit back at NGE come back and give it a try again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Id forgot SWG was still active.
Active is a relative term, supposedly it's still got a few tens of thousands worth of players but Star Wars: Ghost town would be a better description for most of the player inabited areas.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think of it more like an update. That made every player class the Scout, with 10 health, Force-A-Nature only and the maps were all 2Fort.

Feb 13, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think of it more like an update. That made every player class the Scout, with 10 health, Force-A-Nature only and the maps were all 2Fort.
When level 1 Jedis were running around one-shotting level 10 critters, I thought it was time to leave.