Canceled Mass Effect FPS Became Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Canceled Mass Effect FPS Became Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer

A team-based, cooperative Mass Effect FPS fell to the wayside as BioWare shifted its team and basic structure to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode.

If you think about it, it seems like Mass Effect 3 has largely deflected its criticisms by coming up with even more polarizing issues. The multiplayer had no place [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116308-Mass-Effect-3s-Ending-Was-Intended-To-Polarize] in the final installment of the space opera trilogy. Although the fanbase is much quieter about the Galaxy at War mode than it was a few weeks ago, it may get noisy again when it learns where the generally well-received multiplayer matches came from. An ill-fated spin-off called Mass Effect Team Assault would have brought competitive, class-based, first-person shooting to the series in the form of a downloadable game. Instead, as expectations for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer shifted, it slowly transformed into the coop skirmish mode we all know and love/despise.

META was in development for four months around the beginning of 2010, and got far enough in the development process to have video of gameplay footage that features very familiar locations and weapons. The game's central mechanics share some similarities with ME3's multiplayer: Squads of soldiers, human and alien alike, would take up arms with a number of different class-based weapons and abilities. However, matches were not entirely cooperative. While players may have been able to team up, fighting other players - an impossibility in ME3 - would have been a feature of META. In fact, the game would have been something more in line with Battlefield 3 or Unreal Tournament 3 than Gears of War's Horde mode.

After BioWare realized that the current Mass Effect engine made integrating cooperative gameplay into the single player all but impossible, it transitioned the META team away from the FPS title and into the core ME3 multiplayer. BioWare did not want to let cooperative play fall by the wayside, since it felt that a galactic war would be an appropriate time to ask players to team up. Would Mass Effect multiplayer have worked better in its original form? BioWare is probably not done with the series just yet, so the galaxy might find out someday.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.me3finalhours.com/]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god just wait until Zeel gets here. I don't know what his reaction will be but it cannot be good.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Oh god just wait until Zeel gets here. I don't know what his reaction will be but it cannot be good.
i see such posts a lot, and a must confess, he's not that amusing, or amusing at all really

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmm.. so instead of an extra cost wrapped up in a FPS we got a basically free excellent 3rd person team based multiplayer mode? I see nothing to complain about.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Hmm.. so instead of an extra cost wrapped up in a FPS we got a basically free excellent 3rd person team based multiplayer mode? I see nothing to complain about.
You must be a brave soul to say you are in agreement with bioware (Not saying you were, but with everyone going a bit out of hand now a days...yeah you get my point)

Anyways, just wait, some person will complain about this. Cause gamers are a greedy bunch. You can't please them all, and if you don't then you are the devil it self.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Indeed. Although I'm having some connection problems with the EA servers, so I can't really judge multiplayer beyond the first 5 minutes.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
from what I see, sounds like basically a L4D/Killing Floor styled FPS in the Mass Effect universe

somebody's gotta get on that

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Outcast107 said:
StriderShinryu said:
You must be a brave soul to say you are in agreement with bioware (Not saying you were, but with everyone going a bit out of hand now a days...yeah you get my point)

Anyways, just wait, some person will complain about this. Cause gamers are a greedy bunch. You can't please them all, and if you don't then you are the devil it self.
Gamers are greedy, though in this case it would seem that the greedy option would be to support the built in mode we got as it's more for less money. As you point out, however, if it's a decision made by EA and/or Bioware it might as well have been made by the devil himself.

Oh, and yes, I fully support Bioware. I haven't not enjoyed one of their games for a long time and, despite some level of less than love for the ending of ME3, I love it overall too. If soneone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Well, at least they didn't just throw it all away. If it's good, it's good. If not ...
Anyways, It would've been nice to have it known to be tapped on but this happens more than people realize.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Outcast107 said:
StriderShinryu said:

Gamers are greedy, though in this case it would seem that the greedy option would be to support the built in mode we got as it's more for less money. As you point out, however, if it's a decision made by EA and/or Bioware it might as well have been made by the devil himself.

Oh, and yes, I fully support Bioware. I haven't not enjoyed one of their games for a long time and, despite some level of less than love for the ending of ME3, I love it overall too. If soneone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't like EA very much at the moment. But it just seem like a lot of people are getting out of hand over this thing. Is the ending bad? of course, but hey its a game. Plus a lot are not acting so mature, spurting hate and wishing bioware would end at least this is a minority. Though anyways, if people actually acted mature they could probably solve this with ease. Just ask for a free epilogue DLC or patch. One that has closure to what happen to everyone. How they rebuilt or made their own hyber driver, mass relays, or whatever the fuck they want. What happen to all the choices you made like the krogan, geth, and qurians. To me this would be a lot better then a remade ending like everyone asking. Am I saying they want a happy ending? no, but to ask to have the ending remade is childish. What they need to do is just add on to it. At least thats my opinion.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
It would not surprise me at all if the first trailer for ME3 (the London trailer) was originally meant for this game.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
So they only came up with "Horde mode" for multiplayer? I hope Bioware releases more game-modes than just that... Which aren't paid DLC.

Dec 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Obviously it's cut content that should have been in the game, that fact it wasn't completed is irrelevant.

Bioware are just money grabbing corporate whores.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
hazabaza1 said:
Obviously it's cut content that should have been in the game, that fact it wasn't completed is irrelevant.

Bioware are just money grabbing corporate whores.
Also, grabble rabble frabble.

OT: Makes sense. The whole concept did feel sort of alien to the rest of the experience. At least it got integrated into something else instead of being canned entirely.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
If someone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)
you and me, bro
you and me

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Zeel said:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

They were trying to make an FPS spinoff. Who didn't see that coming? and instead of just canning that terrible idea they decided to slap it on ME3. Who works over at their HQ? The cookie monster?

terrible. Just terrible.
Hey now, the cookie monster is awesome, despite dealing with changing social climates.