A Closer Look At the World of Dishonored

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Closer Look At the World of Dishonored

A pile of Dishonored concept art and screens, plus a brand-new video preview, show off the gloriously sleazy underbelly of the game's neo-Victorian world.

Some of these screenshots may seem familiar thanks to last week's first preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116292-Arkane-Unveils-First-Dishonored-Preview] of the upcoming Dishonored but they're still well worth another look, and there's plenty of new stuff in here, too. The city of Dunwall appears suitably steampunk but it's more interesting, I think, that it also looks pretty seedy; most of these images come from just one section of the game but the fact that Arkane and Bethesda decided that a house of ill repute was the foot they wanted to put forward first is absolutely fascinating to me.

[gallery=672]

A closer look at what's in store in Dishonored can be had by way of Gamespot's latest video preview, "Creating Steampunk Beauty," which touches on the game's "painterly" art style and focused level design. "Rather than going in a big span, covering miles with a vehicle, one building is so meaningful that it can play through it as three different levels, because you can explore it in completely unexpected ways," said Visual Design Director Viktor Antonov. "It's about depth and density of experience."

Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332189203&sr=8-1] will be out later this year for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I want to start off with a, "I haven't been this excited about a game since" comment but there have been some really awesome games in the past year. (Thanks a lot 2011, in your awesomeness you have failed me.)

I generally shy away from steampunk, particularly given the "just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk" mentality that has followed its rise in popularity. I don't find it offensive, just not interesting, so initially I just ignored this and got excited about the open level design and the stealthiness. But I have to say I really enjoy the aesthetics in this video. I'm not seeing lots of extraneously bells and whistles, which I guess is what usually puts me off.

Still not sold on the psychic abilities though.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Yep, still by far the best looking game on the horizon. Hopefully it's a success for Bethesda/Zenimax, they took a big bet on Arkane Studios and Harvey Smith with this one, and I hope it finally pays off for them. They've hired a lot of talented devs over the last few years, and not one of them has delivered so far. Fingers crossed for this one!

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Hmmmmm, gotta admit. Everytime I read or see something new of this game, I find myself feeling more optimistic concerning it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Dishonoured and Prey 2 are the two games for 2012 that I am most interested in, and Bethesda has a hand in both? I'm not a big fan of Bethesda as a developer but they certainly are great publishers.

2012 is a funny year for me games wise, with not a lot on offer that I am excited about. Sure one day I'll buy ME3, but I don't feel a burning desire to play it (ME2 dampened that enthusiasm), and I'll check out Max Payne 3, GTAV, and Hitman: Ablutions, but I'm not holding any hope that they will be any good. Oh and I was never a fan of Bioshock, and I have difficulty relating to a protagonist who is a soulless, black hearted, bully who is only motivated by hate and money ie. a Pinkerton.

Dishonoured on the other hand looks to be interesting, sort of Thief meets Arcanum meets Bioshock. Plus it's a new IP and I find that exciting. Similarly from what I have read of Prey 2 it isn't so much a sequel as a game set in the same universe as the first game. Space Noir is the vibe I get. I hope they both deliver.