Telltale Unveils The Walking Dead Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Telltale Unveils The Walking Dead Trailer

If you're not sick of zombies yet, you might as well check out the debut trailer for Telltale's upcoming videogame adaptation of The Walking Dead television series.

The more pedantically uptight among you might be tempted to point out that The Walking Dead [http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Season-One/dp/B0049P1VHS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1332278860&sr=8-8] upon which Telltale's new game is based actually began life as a comic book, to which I would respond that you are correct, but you didn't see anyone rushing to make it into a videogame until the television series became a big hit. So let's just skip all that and get to the part where I don't really care either way, because the whole zombie thing is already a little overdone for my liking. But a lot of other folks obviously dig it, so let's have a look and see what's what.

Telltale's YouTube page [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RtkkHAmgYWs] says the game will follow the "untold story" of Lee Everett, a convicted criminal "given a second chance at life in a world gone to hell." What ol' Lee was convicted of is a mystery, but his road to redemption sees him charged with protecting an orphaned girl named Clementine from the horrors of the ravenous undead. "Experience events, meet people and visit locations foreshadowing the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes in this extension of Robert Kirkman's award-winning universe," it says.

The trailer looks like pretty standard zombie fare: scared people in the American midwest, yelling, shooting and bashing putrid brain-suckers in the head with axes. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's been the bread and butter of one of the most enduring supernatural horrors of all time, after all - but I'm still not seeing anything that makes me think that there's any kind of original twist on the whole undead thing here. On the other hand, it's bound to be better than Telltale's Jurassic Park [http://www.amazon.com/Jurassic-Park-Game-microsoft-xbox-360/dp/B005N64U52/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1332279075&sr=1-1] train wreck, right?

The first episode of the five-part Walking Dead videogame will be out later this year. To learn more, check out thewalkingdeadgame.com [http://thewalkingdeadgame.com].

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well, nothing bad can go wrong here.... right?

It's not like The Walking Dead fans are a shambling horde of mindless zombies, slavishly devoted the comics.... or anything bad like that...... right?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
My question is, I can't tell what type of game it is. Is it a third person shooter like Resident evil? Is it full of QTEs? I don't belive it would be a point and click game.
hmmm... just watched gameplay for Jarrasic Park the game, cause I'm not gonna play it myself. Reviews dictate it's arse. But it has a QTE function where choices can be made at times. My feeling this game is going to be like that. So it's basically a choose your own adventure movie.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, graphically, it certainly looks better than Jurassic Park and the style is very reminiscent of Borderlands and although I love The Walking Dead (even with it's above average second season), I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Also:
dragongit said:
My question is, I can't tell what type of game it is. Is it a third person shooter like Resident evil? Is it full of QTEs? I don't belive it would be a point and click game.
hmmm... just watched gameplay for Jarrasic Park the game, cause I'm not gonna play it myself. Reviews dictate it's arse. But it has a QTE function where choices can be made at times. My feeling this game is going to be like that. So it's basically a choose your own adventure movie.
I think they mentioned it was going to be an adventure game emphasizing upon drama with some action bits, wether they're going to be glorified QTEs or not is yet to be seen.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
I have to admit I actually enjoyed the Jurassic park game though I can definitely see what other people are complaining about. Maybe I'm just a sucker for dinosaurs :p

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
a convicted criminal given a second chance at life in a world gone to hell.
A little cliche don't you think?

Anyway I think we all need a bit more information before we break out our wallets.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
dragongit said:
I had the same concern. There was leaked footage of the 360 version that already got pulled from Youtube. I had an opportunity to watch it though. It's still a point and click adventure with some QTE's during the action scenes. It actually looked really awesome. There were some puzzles that seemed to have a time limit on them because zombies were heading your way. It even managed to feel tense while I was watching it.

I am a Walking Dead fan though. So my views on the subject are skewed a bit. I also love the point and click genre of adventure games though. I'm looking forward to this game personally. I was a fan of some of Telltale Games other stuff though such as the Sam and Max, as well as Back to the Future. The only unsuccessful property they seem to have going for them is Jurassic Park.

Edit: Also, Lee is convicted of murdering his wife. Something he presumably didn't do, or perhaps he did, which would be up Kirkman's alley.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
as long as its not as bad as there last game, and not just QTE out the ass, then i might get it

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, I don't watch the show, but, two things. One, looks good, this game, don't know anything about the show. Two, I want that music, what is it? It's really cool.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Why is Andy Chalk's opinion married to what is nominally a news article?

SupahGamuh said:
Well, graphically, it certainly looks better than Jurassic Park and the style is very reminiscent of Borderlands and although I love The Walking Dead (even with it's above average second season), I'm cautiously optimistic about this.
Did you mean to say "below average second season"? I'm not trying to be snide, it's just that the rest of the statement doesn't really make sense in the context that you liked it and the second season sees a lot of vitriol from otherwise dedicated fans - myself included.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well my problem with this is confliction. If the game is built around the TV series (which I think is great) even being a point and click style adventure instead of a typical zombie fps is that if you watch the TV series that the tv series rarely ever even shows a zombie. Typically with the exception of the season opener or finale you get like 95% screen time for human drama and people talking and the rest of the time is zombies. I dont really see that translating well into a big budget game, and if it bypasses what the tv series is in order to make a more enjoyable game, people will not be as forgiving because its centered around the tv series but fails to be faithful to it.

Its a complex set of problems that when its all said and done seems like its going to end in a very dissapointing manner

but heres to hope! /crosses fingers.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
StarCecil said:

SupahGamuh said:
Did you mean to say "below average second season"? I'm not trying to be snide, it's just that the rest of the statement doesn't really make sense in the context that you liked it and the second season sees a lot of vitriol from otherwise dedicated fans - myself included.
Maybe I chose the wrong words, but what I tried to say is that, in my opinion, the second season wasn't bad, it definitively had it's moments, but it also wasn't as great as the first season, and I meant just that, "above average", at least in my opinion.

I liked it, but it definitively could've been better.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
StarCecil said:

SupahGamuh said:
Maybe I chose the wrong words, but what I tried to say is that, in my opinion, the second season wasn't bad, it definitively had it's moments, but it also wasn't as great as the first season, and I meant just that, "above average", at least in my opinion.

I liked it, but it definitively could've been better.
Ah, I get it. I personally think that without Frank Darabont to helm the process, the whole house is falling apart. That creative charm of the first season just wasn't there for me.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I'm getting sick and tired of zombie apocalypse stories. What I want is to slaughter a bunch of walking corpses for the sole reason to sate my necrocidal instincts. I don't need a deep, philosophical story about the nature of humans. If I want that, I'll read a goddamn book.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
How to ruin a good thing: Make a rushed X adaption of it.

The Walking Dead is intersting due to it's handling of morality, it's different characters, it's role playing potential and primarily it's discussion vaule with others due to these things.

If they acutally manage to make it any good I will be both suprised and will gladly print out and eat my words.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Holy shit! That cutscene to gameplay transition was SEAMLESS. and those 2 seconds of gameplay WOW!

I'm looking forward to the inevitable unskippable episode

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Well the visual style is cool, but I hold NO hope for the actual game.

KIRKMAN YOU SELLOUT! He could have at least waited for a better developer to contact him.

I'm not a fan of QTE games. If feels like I'm waiting on hold while calling my bank.

IF YOU WANT TO KICK A ZOMBIE PLEASE PRESS 1.
IF YOU WANT TO STAB A ZOMBIE PLEASE PRESS 2.
IF YOU WISH TO RUN AWAY PLEASE PRESS 3.
TO REPEAT THE OPTIONS PLEASE PRESS 4.

I'd prefer a REAL survival horror game. Zombies which are tough to kill. Limited weapons.
The need to eat. Think STALKER but in a suburban area with your barricaded house as a base.
You'd have to venture out in the day to get supplies and be back before dark.

That's one thing STALKER did well. I was always trying to get to safety before darkness came.