Filipino Counter-Strike Gambling Leaves One Dead

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Filipino Counter-Strike Gambling Leaves One Dead

Seven dollars can't buy much these days, but apparently one Manila resident felt that the sum was worth killing over.

Police in the Filipino capitol of Manila have arrested a suspect they believe murdered a man following an argument over a game of Counter-Strike. The two men, along with a group of others, were playing the popular Valve shooter in one of the city's many internet cafes. A 300 peso (roughly $7 USD) bet was placed on the outcome of the match, but when it came time to pay up the losing team began arguing the result.

The alleged murderer then followed Eric Cristobal back to his home, where police say Cristobal was stabbed to death.

"He [Cristobal] did not start the quarrel. He just got caught up in it. But they all had long been betting on Counter-Strike," said police investigator Noel Ibanez, following the unnamed assailant's arrest.

There's no punchline here, boys and girls. A man is dead over a petty dispute and an even more petty amount of money. Sometimes the world is a swirling ball of terrible.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.citypress.co.za/International/News/Man-murdered-in-video-game-row-20120321]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's just messed up. I doubt $7 was the real cause. They were probably arguing and provoking each other the whole time. I play CS. I know what CS players are like when they play. They're always trying to provoke each other to make the other team reckless and emotional. You need a clear head to win in this game.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
The punchline is that they were playing Counterstrike. It's like one of those tabloid scare stories where they try to implicate an old game that was notorious ages ago because it's the only one they've heard of, only it actually happened like that.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
tmande2nd said:
I dont want to live on this planet anymore.
Good, leave...

Anyways, this was some kind of messed up. I doubt it was over just money, but still, doesnt change the fact that this was as pointless as any number of murders based off of videogame arguement.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I dont know whats worse: the events that unfolded, the fact that 7 bucks is worth killing a man over, or the fact that when I saw they title my first thought was "inb4violentvidjagaymes".

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
Why? Just why?

Why would you kill someone over the outcome of a game?

Absolutely messed up.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah, i doubt a $7 bet is the sole reason behind this murder.

Dont really know what to think of the guy though. Ive certainly seen lesser reasons for murder.

Hell, on the news this morning i saw that some guy tried to burn down a hotel with a hundred or so people inside including his wife, friends, parents and in-laws (it was just after his wedding) and causing over £5m in damages just because the bar there wouldnt let him start a tab.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
WanderingFool said:
tmande2nd said:
Good, leave...

Anyways, this was some kind of messed up. I doubt it was over just money, but still, doesnt change the fact that this was as pointless as any number of murders based off of videogame arguement.
Is it your time of the month or something, or are you just naturally rude?

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
tmande2nd said:
WanderingFool said:
tmande2nd said:
Good, leave...

No, I imagine he's fed up of people like you making comments like this - as if it's new, clever or funny.

Additionally; there is no way this is just about Counter Strike. To be in position for betting, I'd imagine there's a long term relationship along with some extraneous factors outside the game.

A sad tale when anyone is murdered in cold blood, but poor taste to hang the shawl on the shoulders of gaming.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
tmande2nd said:
WanderingFool said:
tmande2nd said:
Good, leave...

No, actua...

Electric Alpaca said:
No, I imagine he's fed up of people like you making comments like this - as if it's new, clever or funny.
Oh, somebody already answered for me. Thanks.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
gigastar said:
Hell, on the news this morning i saw that some guy tried to burn down a hotel with a hundred or so people inside including his wife, friends, parents and in-laws (it was just after his wedding) and causing over £5m in damages just because the bar there wouldnt let him start a tab.

(this is my reaction to the news and also your story)
What is wrong with people?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
There's no punchline here, boys and girls.
I understand that this is a tragic piece of news and it shouldn't be turned into a joke, but it involves Counterstrike and a knife. The punchline is right there.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
This probably has next to nothing to do about the game. More than likely it was about the sheer amount of trash talk that happened before, during, and after the game.

If you're going to hurt a man's pride, better watch your back.

And who says only women are spiteful?

beniki

May 28, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
This is one of the reasons why my country sucks.

another fodder for those fox news assholes.
Don't worry about it dude. Koreans have been killing each other over Starcraft and MMOs for years. At least in the Philippines you have some nice beaches.

Tragic, and a waste.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
This is just sad, gaming is supposed to be a release, an escape port from real life.