Alphabetically or Chronologically?

Andrew Hayward

Feb 10, 2009
Alphabetically or Chronologically?

Gamers and industry members discuss keeping their collections perpetually tidy ? and why they do it.

Read Full Article

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
I don't really collect cartidge games, so I usually just chuck the boxes and put all my games in a big cd case. That reminds me,all 120 sleeves of my case are almost full...

Also, I prefer to organize my games arbitrarily in terms of genre. I tried alphabetically and chronologically, but for some reason those didn't work for me. One time, when I still used the game cases, I organized my games by the color of the cases, because sometimes I'd skip over playing some games because the color of case was too similar to the adjacent cases.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I simply put my hardcopy games where i can see them. It has always served me well, until i ran out of shelf space, in which case i got another shelf or started stacking.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I wish I was as obsessed as you. I spend a good 10 minutes going through all my cases finding where I put a particular disc.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
A person who shares my love for boxes! Sweet!
Everyone from my environment doesn't share my love for boxes though :(

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Sounds like my organization for books:

Alphabetically by the primary author of the series, then by in-universe chronology. It gets complicated sometimes...

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I would absolutely love to have a gigantic collection of games. I plan on dedicating a room to gaming, once I own my own home. I am pretty obsessive about keeping my current collection organized... and also about keeping the cases in a good condition as possible. One of the worst things I ever did was get rid of all my PS1 cases.... WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING???????

*ahem*

Anyways, I also think I spotted a bit of a grammar error in the article...
Lin's comments home in on an important consideration...
Was that supposed to be "hone"? Because I'm pretty sure that "home" doesn't necessarily make sense.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Fleetfiend said:
Anyways, I also think I spotted a bit of a grammar error in the article...
Lin's comments home in on an important consideration...
Was that supposed to be "hone"? Because I'm pretty sure that "home" doesn't necessarily make sense.
You don't see it written down very often but "home in on" is actually a real phrase, for more information see here:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-hom1.htm

OT: I order my games (admittedly much fewer than these guys) by console and how good I thought they were, from best at the top to worse at the bottom. Can lead to some difficult decisions when comparing "apples and oranges".

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
alphabetically but each console has its own folder/storage space every where else gets organized by where ever i darn well left it

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Alphabetically by series, chronologically within the series.

I had a longstanding argument with my brother recently about whether "2010 Fifa World Cup" should go under F for Fifa (obviously the correct choice) or at the end with the numbers.

I won.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Stacked up as I buy them, wherever they will fit.

:is least organised man in the world.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Alphabetically by console, oldest consoles first. So my shelf goes PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii. DS games are on the bottom and I have so many of them that they're stacked every which way. It's really quite embarrassing. I'm thinking of giving them their own dedicated storage area.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Muahaha amateurs...

I have all(most, the ones I didn't steal from Blockbuster any way) games in their original box. They are separated in two main categories, PC and console. PCs' are ordered by genre,then alphabetically by series and finally chronologically.
The consoles games are divided by manufacturer, if its home or handheld and chronologically by console. Then, alphabetically by series and chronologically by title.

Its actually quit embarrassing, specially when the rest of my stuff is usually divided in "crap on the floor" and "crap on my desk". I also have a "if it does not smell its edible" and "if it has hair, through the window".

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
An article to warm the cockles of this librarian's heart! Back in library school, our Classification professor asked us how we organized our personal collections, and there was a similar variety of answers.

AnarchistFish said:
Alphabetically by series, chronologically within the series.

I had a longstanding argument with my brother recently about whether "2010 Fifa World Cup" should go under F for Fifa (obviously the correct choice) or at the end with the numbers.

I won.
I do what AnarchistFish does, only titles starting with numbers go at the beginning at the alphabet. For the record, I think you are right but the cataloguers here at work claim the rules favour your brother in our catalogue.

Big Bad Jon

May 21, 2009
I'm pretty much of a mind with the others here, with one more separation of Games I've done with go on a lower shelf. Eventually that pile goes into the storage with the rest of the archive. (a few hundred games and consoles going back nearly thirty years).

What does break the organisation in my mind is the PS3, which has one column for all games saved on the drive, arbitrarily organised by last played. I want to be able to sort it how I like. Bloody PS3.

KristofferAG

Mar 27, 2012
My newly started NES collection is not really big enough to sort, neither is my Xbox 360 or NDS collections, so I currently don't have a system. My CD's on the other hand, is alphabetical by artist, and then by year of release. I'm pretty sure I would sort games Alphabetically. I'll probably be sorting my NES games alphabetically when the collection grows large enough, which it definitely will. Eventually.