Minecraft XBLA Release Date Revealed, Relatively Soon

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Minecraft XBLA Release Date Revealed, Relatively Soon

We've got about a month and a half left before Minecraft hits the Xbox Live Arcade and obliterates your social life yet again.

May 9.

That's your release date.

What, did you expect a lot of build-up and extraneous fluff? Sigh. Alright, I guess I've got space to fill, so let's do this the traditional way.

Courtesy a blog post by eternally-smiling Microsoft figurehead Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, comes word that Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition will arrive May 9. To wit:

MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION, May 9 for 1600 Microsoft Points

The infinite possibilities in "Minecraft" just got bigger. "Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition" brings the global phenomenon to console gamers for the first time. The Xbox LIVE Arcade version of the game features an innovative new crafting interface, natural controller movements, a full Tutorial mode to teach the basics and for the first time in "Minecraft," split-screen multiplayer as well as over Xbox LIVE.

It should be noted that this release is the end-cap of the newly-announced "Arcade Next" promotion that also heralds the release of Trials Evolution, Bloodforge and Fable Heroes. What's that? You want details on those games too? You are so demanding. Fine, here:

TRIALS EVOLUTION, April 18 for 1200 Microsoft Points

"Trials Evolution" is on every front, the next dimension of the smash-hit, award-winning "Trials HD." Bust out of the warehouse into an outdoor world of night and day, curved driving lines, and spectacular scenery. Multiplayer comes alive in your living room or on Xbox LIVE. Build your own tracks with the in-game editor or download those of any other player from the new Track Central. Customize your bike and rider with awesome gear and unique parts, enjoy innovative skill games, try ghost racing, beat your friends' scores and more! Don't miss the madness!

BLOODFORGE, April 25 for 1200 Microsoft Points

With a brutal combat system, stunning art style, and a deeply compelling story, "Bloodforge" empowers you to slaughter hordes of demonic soldiers, deformed worshippers, and the gods themselves, using ferocious Rage Kills, devastating Rune attacks, and furious Weapon Combos. Help seal Crom's fate - and the fate of the rest of the world - in this dark, visceral story of revenge, betrayal, and destiny.

FABLE HEROES, May 2 for 800 Microsoft Points

"Fable Heroes" is an action-packed, hack-and-slash adventure built for Xbox LIVE Arcade. It delivers a fresh spin on the "Fable" franchise with a unique art style and gameplay that takes playful competition to the next level. Whether on the couch or using Xbox LIVE, up to four players work together to defeat enemies while also competing with one another to collect gold coins and level up. Precious gold collected in Fable Heroes can be imported into the forthcoming Kinect title, Fable: The Journey, providing players with a valuable head start from day one.

Happy? Alright, now back to Minecraft. I fully expect PC gamers to sneer at this console release as watered-down pabulum compared to the game's keyboard-and-mouse origins, but would anyone like to take odds on the success of this thing now that it has access to the lucrative console market?

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2012/03/22/announcing-arcade-next/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MajorNelson+%28Major+Nelson+%28Xbox%29%29]

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
I was so used to seeing Minecraft knockoffs on XBLIG that I was surprised to see actual minecraft on XBLA.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I still don't get why anyone would get the Xbox version. Not elitist or anything, but honestly, any kind of toaster that you can find can run it, as well having a better UI.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Cool, I've been looking forward to this for a few months now. I'm suprised by the Fable Heroes announcement, I didn't expect that to be released so soon.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
I still don't get why anyone would get the Xbox version. Not elitist or anything, but honestly, any kind of toaster that you can find can run it, as well having a better UI.
Actually minecraft is pretty taxing for a not so good pc, so it's nice for people who dont have great computers.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
It wont have mods or texture packs and I doubt itll be updated nearly as much. Not interested. Either give us the real deal or nothing. and 1600 pointss!?!!! charge it at a reasonable price of 1200 at least. Minecraft without the things ive mentioned is not worht even that and most of the appeal is user generated content. Not as in made on the game but mods and stuff as well. Notch should not be able to take credit for the work of his community with such blatant overpricing.

Seems lie im getting trials evolution. Now that is worth 1200

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im considering this, but only because I cant buy the PC version due to my credit card not working on the Minecraft site.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
hazabaza1 said:
Actually minecraft is pretty taxing for a not so good pc, so it's nice for people who dont have great computers.
Pretty much this, I always had a hard time running Minecraft in Singleplayer mode, it runs flawlessly in multiplayer though, as it doesn't need to create stuff the whole time while playing, my CPU is simply not up for the task, same with other Java games and I have a hard time running some Flash games in fullscreen and high quality.

Ironically, I can run Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim at 30~60 fps. I seriously need to upgrade my CPU.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yeah, despite the Super Nintendo-era look, Minecraft is not for the faint of CPU. Partly because it's Java (not that that's a bad thing; it wouldn't be moddable otherwise), and also partly because it probably has no way of preventing occluded blocks from rendering, as traditional game engines are designed to do.

I'm curious what this new crafting system will turn out to be.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
I'm curious what this new crafting system will turn out to be.
I saw a preview, it's kinda like Notch's Minicraft. Bring up inventory/crafting table and you'll get a list of things and their costs. Pick an item, and (if you have the components for it) its cost is deducted from your inventory and you get one shiny new whatever-you-picked.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I rather hope "innovative new crafting interface" is code for "yeah, we decided to copy Terraria and just list what you can make with what you have"

Not that I'm going to bother either way...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
imnotparanoid said:
hazabaza1 said:
Pretty much this, I always had a hard time running Minecraft in Singleplayer mode, it runs flawlessly in multiplayer though, as it doesn't need to create stuff the whole time while playing, my CPU is simply not up for the task, same with other Java games and I have a hard time running some Flash games in fullscreen and high quality.

Ironically, I can run Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim at 30~60 fps. I seriously need to upgrade my CPU.
From what I have heard MineCraft is more of a RAM consumer than a CPU consumer so your CPU might be good enough. I might be wrong, but RAM is both cheap and easy to swap.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm a month and a half. Thats enough time for Notch to take a launch preparation vacation, a pre launch vacation and a launch vacation... Man how does this guy keep up with his hectic schedule. Hes like the James Brown of game coding fo sho.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
this would only be worth it if the xbox version came with an exclusive recipe for a noobtube that fires bricks of live tnt over huge distances

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I remember the sales of Cthulhu Save the World's Steam release destroying it's XBLA sales. I hope Notch regrets this decision. I get his worries about a Steam Monopoly but to be honest him welcoming Origin was a bit silly. He and other indie devs should be really mentioning Desura as a service as it can helps Indie devs fund games.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
ablac said:
It wont have mods or texture packs and I doubt itll be updated nearly as much. Not interested. Either give us the real deal or nothing. and 1600 pointss!?!!! charge it at a reasonable price of 1200 at least. Minecraft without the things ive mentioned is not worht even that and most of the appeal is user generated content. Not as in made on the game but mods and stuff as well. Notch should not be able to take credit for the work of his community with such blatant overpricing.

The big question is how anyone could see this trailer and think about anything else. It's like the Escapist has Notch blinders that keep them from reporting on interesting things when he says or does anything.

For those keeping score at home: that's more Trials awesomeness, multiplayer, and a revamped track creator that essentially made Stuntman, Angry Birds, a first person shooter, Super Monkey Ball, Xevious, foosball, and slot car racing.

I'm sure Minecraft: Gimp Edition can do all of that too...

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
subtlefuge said:
ablac said:

The big question is how anyone could see this trailer and think about anything else. It's like the Escapist has Notch blinders that keep them from reporting on interesting things when he says or does anything.

For those keeping score at home: that's more Trials awesomeness, multiplayer, and a revamped track creator that essentially made Stuntman, Angry Birds, a first person shooter, Super Monkey Ball, Xevious, foosball, and slot car racing.

I'm sure Minecraft: Gimp Edition can do all of that too...
You sir just made my day. I hadnt seen much about trials and I just figured itd be more of the same. Completely worth it mind but this... this is amazing.