Valve Wants Your Brains...Scanned

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Valve Wants Your Brains...Scanned

Is the Left 4 Dead developer suddenly taking an unhealthy interest in cranial anatomy?

The folks at zombie-laden [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] first-person shooter, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell divulges his desire to make even better games by studying players' brain activity and bodily responses.

Newell explains human play testing was a crucially important component of the development process in Left 4 Dead. However, the team can only conjecture how design decisions in a game affect a player, by watching how they react. While that's helpful, there's a more effective way to track the results: hooking players up to machinery.

"Right now we have to filter our observations of players by simply by watching them, and then we have to guess as to how certain things are affecting the player," he said. "But there are new technologies where we can wire players up with EEGs [http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/electroencephalogram-eeg-21508] and actually have direct exposure to their physical reactions to the games. We can know for sure of something is actually frightening the player - their heart rate is going up, their respiration stats are peaking, appropriate parts of their brains are being activated."

The prospect of measuring a player's responses to in-game activity is "super exciting," he said. This will allow the team to develop elements within a game to intentionally create specific reactions in players. Spooky.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Spook and awesome. I'd get hooked up to machines while I playtest games if it means they're more effective at doing what they're trying to do (scaring, exciting, joking etc.)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Now that's dedication to making a great game. As long as they don't assimilate me into some kind of hive mind, I'm up for it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
stompy said:
Now that's dedication to making a great game. As long as they don't assimilate me into some kind of hive mind, I'm up for it.
Life is simpler as part of the hive mind. Join now and recieve a free complimentary Overmind T-shirt.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Amnestic said:
Life is simpler as part of the hive mind. Join now and recieve a free complimentary Overmind T-shirt.
I dunno... what about free-will and all...

Eternal_Rapture

Aug 25, 2008
Amnestic said:
stompy said:
Sweet I'm there.

I really hope this does mean super awesome games in the future though.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Amnestic said:
stompy said:
I'd choose bing a brainless minion over a free individual anyday. Plus, Im a sucker for free stuff. Count me in!

On topic, I like how Valve are really looking into other ways of making their games better. If it was any other commpany I'd think they where crazy. But Valve are already Crazy, or High, judging by some of the core ideas behind there titles. Who was the sick fuck who came up with the Boomer?!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
stompy said:
Amnestic said:
I dunno... what about free-will and all...
Free will ends in pain. The humans in the Matrix chose free will and as a result the robots murdered most of them and stuck the rest in tubes. Submit to the Overmind. You know it's the right way to go.

Who was the sick fuck who came up with the Boomer?!
Some guy who thought vomiting fat zombies who explode are hilarious. I have to agree with that guy too. Blowing up a boomer with the auto-shotgun is very, very satisfying.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
This must be expensive, but they do know what they're talking about. Way better than a control group in any case.
Although you'll still have people being scared of different things so it's not flawless, but it's way better than the overall standard.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Pervert game testers beware. If you have an unhealthy attraction towards visceral violence, virtual characters of either sex &/or animals/mutants etc; Valve will know about it :-D

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Reminds me of Doom3. From what I heard about Doom3's development, the team making it consulted with psychiatrists and other such people who specialize in messing with peoples's heads, in an attempt to make the game play on deep rooted fears most people have.
That sure worked out great for them, didn't it? I guess it must mean people really fear demons jumping out of closets at you. Over and over and over again.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
It is awsome that they are bringing more science to the art of play testing. From what I hear valve does very high quality play testing as it is. This can only make their games better.

Feb 13, 2008
Amnestic said:
Who was the sick fuck who came up with the Boomer?!
Some guy who thought vomiting fat zombies who explode are hilarious. I have to agree with that guy too. Blowing up a boomer with the auto-shotgun is very, very satisfying.
I'd say it was originally Monty Python. "Just one waffer thin mint?"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
meatloaf231 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Reminds me of Doom3. From what I heard about Doom3's development, the team making it consulted with psychiatrists and other such people who specialize in messing with peoples's heads, in an attempt to make the game play on deep rooted fears most people have.
That sure worked out great for them, didn't it? I guess it must mean people really fear demons jumping out of closets at you. Over and over and over again.
Well Doom3 freaked the fuck out of me quite often. The demonic mirror in the first bathroom makes you expect the same thing in the second, but instead when you look directly at the second mirror, a pinkie is behind you. The imps that crawl out from the pit you were assuming to be inaccessible (and it is to you) background. The part where you must follow a lit stasis tube through a pitch black zone filled with imps, zombies, and the odd bigger baddie. Imps crawling out through the floor plating. Yeah, especially the first time through the game, Doom3 had me on edge.
Well, I suppose it did have it's moments. However, you want screwy? Condemned: Criminal Origins has more screwy than Johnny Depp on a bad acid trip.