Battlefield 3 Update Includes Paid "Shortcuts"

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Battlefield 3 Update Includes Paid "Shortcuts"

A new Battlefield 3 PS3 update lets raw recruits dive into multiplayer with the same hardware as toughened vets - for a price.

Any military historian can tell you that you need two things to win a war: manpower and materiel. Now, if you don't have enough time to fight opposing forces in Battlefield 3 for the PS3, you can invest capital instead. A substantial update for the popular military shooter hit PS3 servers today, and along with some map tweaks and server options, the developers have included a number of "shortcut kits." These kits will unlock various class- and vehicle-specific items, weapons, and upgrades usually reserved for players who serve countless hours in multiplayer. While they range in price (and, no doubt, utility), this move is sure to cause some bad blood between fans who want to preserve the game's learning curve/reward system, and those who simply don't have the time or inclination to see Battlefield 3's multiplayer content the long way.

Tommy Rydling, otherwise known as Battlefield: The Official Blog keeper H Brun, shared the update with fans. "Today, we are also offering 10 different shortcut items for sale for Battlefield 3 on PS3," he wrote. "If you're new to the game, this is the perfect way to gain some ground on the veterans online."The shortcut packs themselves include unique item unlocks for every class and vehicle in the game, as well as weapons usually unlocked through co-op. They range in price from $4.99 (for the co-op weapons) to $39.99 (for everything), although each item and upgrade contained within them can be unlocked through normal play.

The update also includes a number of tweaks, bug fixes, and map redesigns, although perhaps the other most controversial feature will be the ability for players to rent their own servers. Instead of using the standard Battlefield 3 servers, players can now rent their own and customize all parameters, from respawn time to minimap display. The rentals last from one to 90 days, and range from $1.49 to $64.99.

Shortcut packs are hardly new territory for the Battlefield series, as it offered the same kind of package [http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Kit_Shortcut ] for Battlefield 2: Bad Company. Even so, the comments section on the Battlefield blog already runneth over with bile from both sides of the debate. If you prefer a good old-fashioned level grind to a quick-and-dirty unlock, that's your prerogative, but remember: Someone back home has got to fund the war effort.

Source: Battlefield: The Official Blog [http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/03/ps3-update-live/]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm glad I'm not invested in it. I detest "pay to win" mechanics of this sort, it undermines the entire point of putting in the time and mastery and ultimatly winds up giving the rich an advantage.

As far as "funding the war effort goes" cute line, but in the end people already paid $60 for this. This is an example of the industry getting too greedy, with the greed undermining the integrity of the games.

Of course it really doesn't surprise me, it's the same basic thing EA is doing with ME3's muliplayer, except without the randomization inherant in the packs.

It's really good to notice EA listening to it's fans, especially seeing as that was part of what all the bile over ME3 is about. The paid multiplayer being connected to the ending dispute because to even see all of the crap ending you need to do it, and they are selling the same kind of "shortcuts" for real money which amounts to having monetized the ending.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm surprised they didn't also increase the amount of experience you needed to unlock stuff normally.

Well for now this doesn't affect me since I passed on bf3 since I hated the back end, something like this wouldn't be that bad in a game like planetside 2 but that game will also be free to play.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I dont see a problem with this.

So long as all the content in the packs can be unlocked normally, its a nice grey middle ground.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Therumancer said:
I'm glad I'm not invested in it. I detest "pay to win" mechanics of this sort, it undermines the entire point of putting in the time and mastery and ultimatly winds up giving the rich an advantage.

As far as "funding the war effort goes" cute line, but in the end people already paid $60 for this. This is an example of the industry getting too greedy, with the greed undermining the integrity of the games.

Of course it really doesn't surprise me, it's the same basic thing EA is doing with ME3's muliplayer, except without the randomization inherant in the packs.

It's really good to notice EA listening to it's fans, especially seeing as that was part of what all the bile over ME3 is about. The paid multiplayer being connected to the ending dispute because to even see all of the crap ending you need to do it, and they are selling the same kind of "shortcuts" for real money which amounts to having monetized the ending.
Except that it's not a Pay to Win setup. According to this article, everything that you can get with this are items that you can unlock through normal play. You're not getting the Death Star, you're getting weapons that everyone can get.

I've played BF3 a bit and while I'd never pay for something like this, it does suck to start with shit and have to put in a lot of time to get your weapons. Some people value their time more than money (or just plain don't have the time to spare) but still want to be able to play the game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If people want to throw money at someone to do shit that they are too lazy to do themselves, then by all means let them.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, as I have the service star for each class and already reached level 45, I see no real problem with this. In fact, I see it as decent idea from one stand point: How do we get money from those stupid people playing this game?

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
So a rank 1 person who started today, will have every item for a jet because he paid for it, too bad they won't due much for him when he crashes 3 seconds after he lifts off. I don't see a problem with this, you still need to learn how to fly, or use whatever you get and I kill fully leveled people all the time, even when i'm just throwing c4 everywhere.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dexter111 said:
tippy2k2 said:
I've played BF3 a bit and while I'd never pay for something like this, it does suck to start with shit and have to put in a lot of time to get your weapons. Some people value their time more than money (or just plain don't have the time to spare) but still want to be able to play the game.
Tough shit, everybody else had to do it the same way and they should too... fair play and all, I couldn't care less about how much they "value their time", maybe they shouldn't be playing then?
How about making them pay 10.000$ for quadruple HP and 100.000$ for official invulnerability hacks so they can show their monetary superiority to everyone?
Not everyone has a shit ton of free time. Some people have multiple jobs, children, things to do, blah blah blah and just want to be able to play BF3 with their friends every so often.

I play probably....once a month with a friend of mine who lives in California. I get destroyed every time because I just don't want to play when I'm alone and he's the only one I know who has the game. This OPTION is nice to have but that's the thing, it's an option. You want to be a "purist"? Don't use the option but it's brilliant on EA's part to gain more players who may have skipped these online games due to not having time.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Buretsu said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Tough shit, everybody else had to do it the same way and they should too... fair play and all, I couldn't care less about how much they "value their time", maybe they shouldn't be playing then?
I hear you. Man, I don't get why people would even think about being casual gamers. What's the point of even playing a game if you're not going to practice at least 12 hours a day on it? They're what's killing competitive gaming.
I think you messed up the quotes.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Don't see a problem, in fact I think it could be a good thing. The last dozen or so rounds I played I haven't seen anyone lower than rank 32. BF3 does need new blood. If people want to spend money on unlocks instead of playing for the rewards, well it's their money.

I particularly feel for anyone trying to get into the air at this stage without flares, even a great pilot is going to have trouble getting the first unlock with twelve stingers and a couple of SOFLAM targeted Javs on their tail.

I'd have gladly paid $5 to not have to grind the shitty co-op to unlock weapons, I may even still buy the G3A3 and 93R if this option comes to PC because I loath the co-op. Loath it I say!

Also the renting servers thing is cute. The amount of Metro only servers on PC is sickening.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hookah said:
[

It's really not 'pay to win' Aside from the vehicle unlocks nothing else is substantially superior to the base weapons. You don't get an advantage over others by paying for this. You save time, there is a fundamental difference. I was just playing it and saw people who were top level using the base guns. On BFBC2 I swore by my AEK-971, even though it was the 'beginner' assault rifle.

It's not really 'monetizing' the ending either - the games been out since November.

I really don't see the problem with this. Its not DLC, its nothing that cannot be acquired through normal gameplay. If people want to pay, that is their prerogative. I still haven't unlocked everything for BF3, and I probably wont, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna pay for it.

Furthermore, as the article states this is nothing new to the BF series. It's not some new extra evil EA plot to cash grab. While I am rarely a fan of EA's actions, sometimes comments on here suggest that people have really lost their objectivity towards them, and just attack everything they do out of hand.

But whatever, if you guys wanna complain about how eeeeeevil EA is on a website, have fun. I'll be off to do something else. Like make a cheese sandwich
Except that it's not a Pay to Win setup. According to this article, everything that you can get with this are items that you can unlock through normal play. You're not getting the Death Star, you're getting weapons that everyone can get.

Actually it is "pay to win" your paying to obtain a level of power that is only supposed to be in the hands of people who put in the time and obtained the mastery of the game. Your basically paying for an advantage over anyone who hasn't put in the time, or spent the money, and gaining the abillity to dominate them.

Ultimatly if you "want to play" but don't want to put in the time (or can't) your supposed to suck compared to those that do, that's part of the point. Being able to decide "well I'm rich so I'm going to buy my way out of the boring stuff and paying my dues" isn't paticularly fair to those who can't afford to do that, or those who put in the time and effort.

In the end this isn't good for the game, or gaming in general. The only thing it's good for is EA lining it's own pockets.

Of course understand that I am of the opinion that in multiplayer I believe firmly in everyone being equal other than their skill and time investment. I do not believe in "equalizing" things between the serious players and the casuals if the more casual or unskilled players can afford to pay for it, if your a casual player, then you should expect to not be as powerful as the other players who take it more seriously. In any enviroment like this, even PVE games, there is going to be a degree of competition, and that means there are going to be losers, being able to buy your way into the winners circle and get those perks invalidates the entire process.

See, the arguement is double sided. Your casual player argues that he should not be held back because he's unwilling to turn a game into a hobby and make the time committment, or maybe he links the game but is just pants at it and doesn't like that this limits his progress. To him, if he has the money, paying a few bucks to even the playing field seems reasonable. To the more serious player, he feels that the time, effort, and perhaps displayed skill SHOULD get him some rewards. Putting 100 hours a week into a game (if that's what he decides to do) should make him better than someone who might play an hour or two a day and that should be recognized by the game by putting him well above those casual players in every conceivable way. Swiping a credit card should not give someone equal achievements and perks.

Now, to be honest I do understand the problem of being someone who always gets WTFpwned by giants in an established game. However I believe those are the lumps someone needs to take to earn their way up, especially seeing as the first ones playing generally had to pay their own kinds of dues. I feel that monetizing this is not the way to address it however, I think instead more effort needs to be taken to segregate queues such as ensuring PVP in MMORPGs is premade vs. premade, and pug vs. pug, and in all forms of games probably make the amount of time an account has been logged into the game a variable in matchmaking. If you've only played 40 hours in say a month, a queue should try and find people with a similar amount of played time for you, before it sticks you onto a map with people who log that in a week. You can't measure skill levels with a computer (yet) but you can measure that variable which would help, and which to me is a much better idea, and has more gaming integrity, than letting people pay to unlock benefits that are supposed to be earned... even if integrity doesn't put money into industry pockets.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
am I a terrible person because I bought some "packs" in ME3 with real moeny? (hey..to be fair I had some left over in my account...hardly enough to buy journey)

Therumancer said:
wait!...the multiplayer is somwhow connected to the actual single player?!..uggghh actually dont tell me anything, I havnt finished yet I dont want to know

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Dexter111 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Not everyone has a shit ton of free time. Some people have multiple jobs, children, things to do, blah blah blah and just want to be able to play BF3 with their friends every so often.

I play probably....once a month with a friend of mine who lives in California. I get destroyed every time because I just don't want to play when I'm alone and he's the only one I know who has the game. This OPTION is nice to have but that's the thing, it's an option. You want to be a "purist"? Don't use the option but it's brilliant on EA's part to gain more players who may have skipped these online games due to not having time.
Sure sounds like a brilliant OPTION to give people putting down money the power to destroy other new players and all the things other people worked on for months.

Again, I couldn't care less how much free time or jobs or children or whatever they have, the rules in the game should be the same for everyone. You can't buy yourself more pieces or several kings when playing chess etc. either, no matter if you are hobo Bob or billionaire Mike.
What does it matter to you where I got my weapons?

Are you unhappy because you can't just kick the piss out of the new players now because they have a way to even the playing field? These packs are not giving them an advantage, these are the same exact weapons that you get.

To go with your chess analogy:
-A player started in November has the full board
-A player starting right now has pawns (seriously, we don't get shit in the beginning)

I just don't see how anyone could possibly see this as a bad thing. You're getting a bunch of new players in the game, some new blood, and allowing them the option to put themselves even with the players who have been playing since November.

At this point, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I can't possibly see how this could be a bad thing for anyone. Unless swiping my credit card gives me a rifle while people who don't pay get squirt guns, I see absolutely no problem here. If that were introduced, I'd be right with you in the angry mob with my pitchfork but that's not what this is. Where you're seeing an evil company hell bent on screwing over the poor, I see a company willing to give the new players an actual fighting chance.