Mozilla Releases Browser Quest, a Punny, Free-to-Play MMO

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Mozilla Releases Browser Quest, a Punny, Free-to-Play MMO

The company behind Firefox has decided to showcase the power of HTML 5 with a free, online fantasy RPG featuring Portals, Nyan Cat, and Risk Astley.

If you don't hate internet-flavored pop culture humor, and enjoy any excuse to wail on ogres with a magic mace, then there are worse ways to spend an hour than firing up Mozilla's new pixel-painted MMO, Browser Quest. The game is available to play for free here [http://browserquest.mozilla.org/], and as you may have already inferred, is completely browser-based, meaning you don't have to sit through any downloads or installs before you can get started. That also means that it can play on most things with internet access, including tablets and smart phones.

The gameplay is quite simple; you run around with a melee item of some kind, haplessly wailing on anything that lacks the power of speech. As there's no XP or leveling in Browser Quest, you'll need to get your stat boosts from different armor sets and weapons. Gear comes in the form of loot, and stronger loot is dropped by stronger baddies. You know the drill.

Since the game is an MMO, you'll have other adventurers to contend with, forcing you into a bizarre love/hate with your peers. All loot can be picked up by anyone, regardless of who made the killing blow, so you'll beg for a stranger's help to take down a Grim Reaper, then curse their name when they click on the spiffy red demon armor that it dropped before you do.

While no game is really "free," the worst you'll have to put up with to play is a few moments of well-deserved self-promotion. The invincibility potion, for example, will temporarily put you in a fox costume designed from Mozilla's iconic logo, and a handful of NPCs will remind you (if you choose to get them talking) that HTML 5 powers the game, and where you can read more about its development.

The game isn't revolutionary and, somewhat by definition, is more of a tech demo than the sort of experience many would imagine when thinking of modern MMOs, but it's polished, autosaves your character as you go, and offers a solid game progression through to a final boss fight while letting you interact with some pretty darn funny cameos along the way.

Source: Mozilla [http://browserquest.mozilla.org/]

gusenborge

Nov 6, 2011
Maybe im guessing here but isnt this kind of a ripoff on Realm of the mad god?

They are close to identical.

Could be the format thought but still.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yes, it looks mildly similar in that screenshot. I too will make this conclusion.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Haven`t played Realm of the Madgod, but i finished this pretty quickly, tho i didn`t snoop around to find that weird ??? achievement. And poor endboss, gets spawnkilled so hard.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I looks similar to Realm Of The Mad God but they work very differently, ROTMG is actually a more complete game this is really just a nifty tech demo.
But still it's very enjoyable to run around and see what they put together, heck more indie devs should look into this formula.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
This reminds me a lot of Fantasy Online on Kongregate. I just beat it, didn't get the 5 revives or the ??? achievement though.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Mike Kayatta said:
Risk Astley.
The tactical board game of domination, control and cheesy pop songs? :D

If you ask me, this sounds like a pretty cool little thing from the Mozilla guys. It might not be ground-breaking, and is actually a glorified advert underneath all that "game" stuff, but who cares? It's free and amusing and packed with internet cultural references.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Owlslayer said:
Haven`t played Realm of the Madgod, but i finished this pretty quickly, tho i didn`t snoop around to find that weird ??? achievement. And poor endboss, gets spawnkilled so hard.
I found the ??? achievement... It wasn't worth it. In fact the last half hour I have spent playing this game was worth nothing! Curse you Escapist, curse you for destroying all hope of productivity in my day!

Must keep playing, just need one more achievement...

gt6mp

May 4, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
I found the ??? achievement... It wasn't worth it. In fact the last half hour I have spent playing this game was worth nothing! Curse you Escapist, curse you for destroying all hope of productivity in my day!

Must keep playing, just need one more achievement...
what was the ??? achievement?

EDIT: worked it out.
There is a cave just northwest of the town (very close, just north of nyan cat) with four wooden posts in front of it guarded by ogres. When you enter you'll see two paths. go down the right one. you'll then be in another chamber with three exits in front of you. Take the one on the far right. You'll find yourself in a room with 3 southern exits and 1 northern exits. Take the southern exit on the far left (the one you entered through) It'll take you to a small chamber containing rick astley who will, if you talk to him, rickroll you. Congrats you just got the last trophy "rickroll'd".