Worms Revolution Dropping Onto Consoles Like a Concrete Donkey

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Worms Revolution Dropping Onto Consoles Like a Concrete Donkey

[youtube="8f6M5edr8_U">

Team 17 shows off new worms, new weapons, and a new engine in this teaser announcement for the next Worms installment.

Everyone's favorite lewd invertebrates are back. Again. For, oh my gosh, the 25th time in Team 17's upcoming Worms Revolution. Yes, you'll still control a diminutive army of pugnacious, bazooka-wielding worm warriors against your frienemies on a delightfully destructible floating landscape, but, this time, for the first time in a long time, the game has been designed with a completely new engine. The mechanics, physics, and gameplay have been retooled from the soil up by Team 17, the developer responsible for the violent genocide of billions of cartoon worms since we first learned to ninja rope in 1995.

Currently, details are more scarce than a super banana bomb weapon crate, but what we do know is that Revolution will offer similar "you shoot me, then I shoot you" gameplay featuring a splash of new weapons mixed in with the classics (the Holy Hand Grenade and Super Sheep are both confirmed comebacks). Basic team mechanics seem to be the same but, though Team 17 has yet to explain them, larger-than-normal worms can be seen in blobbing about in the announcement trailer. The logo also includes one, as well as what I can only describe as some sort of bulbous-brained toothpick worm. Perhaps Worms is picking up a similar size/strength mechanic to the NES's Ice Hockey? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXVFCfBWoQ] Only time will tell.

Team 17 has yet to grace us with a specific drop date, but it's confirmed that Revolution will be available for consoles and PC come Q3 of this year. If anything like previous Worms games, we can probably expect a downloadable title for XBLA or PSN valued around $15.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The water bomb airstrike intrigues me, and the fact that said water bomb has pride of place in the logo would indicate this is going to take center stage in challenges/story.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I really, really wish I was enthusiastic, but the travesty that was/is Reloaded has put me off Worms completely, and I'd played a hell of a lot of Worms in my youth.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
What?

Worms is still relevant?

It's turned into fucking Mortal Kombat by this point, seeing as how Worms Reloaded crapped out on me first time I launched it (the sound died and I couldn't get it working which made me ragedelete it).

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Trying to remember when i last played a Worms game...

Yeah, it was Armageddon. Might fix that up some.

DazZ. said:
I really, really wish I was enthusiastic, but the travesty that was/is Reloaded has put me off Worms completely, and I'd played a hell of a lot of Worms in my youth.
Funny that, one of my friends maintains that Reloaded is the best in the series yet.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Reloaded was hideous, I couldn't even play online decently...

Might as well shrug this off as another petty attempt to cash-in a once mighty franchise.

I'll wait for the inevitable release of Armageddon / World Party (or both) in GOG.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
gigastar said:

DazZ. said:
Funny that, one of my friends maintains that Reloaded is the best in the series yet.
Stick with Armageddon if you're on PC. That with the patches is by far the best.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DazZ. said:
gigastar said:

DazZ. said:
Stick with Armageddon if you're on PC. That with the patches is by far the best.
Nope, PS1 version. I was 7 when i got it. My PS3 can theoretically run it, since its one of the rare backward-compatible ones.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
DazZ. said:
gigastar said:

DazZ. said:
or if anything, World Party
which is basically Armageddon 1.5 =P

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
teh_Canape said:
DazZ. said:
or if anything, World Party
which is basically Armageddon 1.5 =P
World Party stopped getting updated though whilst Armageddon carried on, the bigger maps and various tweaks make me vastly prefer Armageddon.