Hawken Ups the Narrative Ante

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hawken Ups the Narrative Ante

A Hawken graphic novel will flesh out the fiction behind the post-apocalyptic mech combat game.

We don't know much about the story behind Hawken, in part because it's not slated to come out until December, but also because things like "story" in free-to-play online mech shooters aren't usually given a whole lot of priority. Giant fighting robots in crumbling, post-industrial hellholes are pretty sweet business in and of themselves, after all, so why waste time and effort cluttering things up with a meaningful plot - particularly when you're a low-budget indie production?

But Hawken is something of a unique low-budget indie production and it's already generating an awful lot of pre-release excitement. So the producers have decided to put a bit of narrative meat on the bone by way of a deal with Archaia Entertainment to create a hardcover graphic novel based on the game.

The story behind the battle for survival on a collapsing, hyper-industrialized world will be written by Jeremy Barlow, whose credits include numerous Star Wars titles for Dark Horse and, more recently, the script for the videogame crossover comic Mass Effect: Homeworlds [http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/20-459/Mass-Effect-Homeworlds-2-Anthony-Palumbo-cover]. Several artists will also contribute to the project, including Transmetropolitan illustrator Moritat, Stefano Gaudiano of Daredevil and Spider-Man fame, and Khang Le, a co-founder of Hawken studio Adhesive Games whose work can also be seen in Flight.

"What excited us most about Hawken was their determination to revitalize, if not redefine, how people see and appreciate mechs," said executive editor and Archaia transmedia producer Joe LeFavi. Citing influences including Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and more, he continued, "To find such a gritty and grounded vision of our future was inspiring. Sure, the game is gorgeous and really fun, but Meteor isn't simply creating a great game. They're creating an entire universe fans can enjoy and explore for years to come."

The graphic novel will give players a closer look at the world of Hawken and the events and characters that led it to an all-consuming war, but it will also serve a more practical purpose by providing "secret clues and codes that unlock special features in-game." The Hawken graphic novel is slated to come out in March 2013, a few months after Hawken [http://www.playhawken.com/] itself, which is scheduled to launch on December 12.

Source: Comic Book Resources [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37938]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Do want.

If only this actually was given a single player story - maybe something like Chromehounds but interesting.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I've been of the opinion that the problem with giant mech games is largely that they focus entirely on the giant mechs blowing the living crap out of each other.

To really make this kind of setting work well, I think you need to develop a full fledged RPG like they tried to do with the PnP "Mechwarrior" books. Have action inside and outside of mechs, and an actual world to explore and quest in other than just dropping into battlegrounds even if a lot of that is going to occur anyway.

I tend to look at what say "Anarchy Online" was working on with it's mecha, along with things like the old "Crescent Hawks" games or even "Xenogears".

The idea of the graphic novel tie in is intertesting, but reading some backstory is kind of pointless when it influances very little and isn't really that immersive. With giant mech games in paticular it seems like they use the genere as an excuse to not really work on the lore or world setting much except for some backstory written down in various places, which really matters very little since the factions fighting wind up being generic, and everyone starts screaming fairly generic "gung ho" battlecries as they fight over a pretty predictable series of boilerplate objectives.

That's my thoughts at any rate.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Therumancer said:
To be honest I've been of the opinion that the problem with giant mech games is largely that they focus entirely on the giant mechs blowing the living crap out of each other.

To really make this kind of setting work well, I think you need to develop a full fledged RPG like they tried to do with the PnP "Mechwarrior" books. Have action inside and outside of mechs, and an actual world to explore and quest in other than just dropping into battlegrounds even if a lot of that is going to occur anyway.
I'd be happier if they stayed away from any outside of mech action in these games for one reason and one reason only: MechAssault.

Probably my least favourite game ever and one of the reasons was a half-assed integration of out-of-mech objectives. Every once and a while you'd have to get out of your perfectly good 100 ton killing machine and wander over to a tower or satellite dish to blow it up with C4 cause, you know, the giant lasers and missiles would of been crass.

It only got worse from there...things like getting out of mechs to hit a button that opens a gate (again, missiles would be crass and the jump jets your mech has? No match for the invisible wall!).

Now you could argue a different designer might not be so lazy, but I will always bet on a design team taking the path of least resistance.

OT: Like the concept of a more grounded Mech storyline rather then the craziness of some Japanese games and the whacky religious stuff Mechwarrior went into.