Microsoft Announces "Chrome" Xbox 360 Controllers

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Microsoft Announces "Chrome" Xbox 360 Controllers

Worried that your Xbox 360 isn't properly blinged out? Microsoft has you covered.

Courtesy Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb comes word that the company is set to debut a line of "Chrome" controllers for the Xbox 360. No, they aren't made of metal, they're just really shiny.

To wit:

Today we're announcing the Xbox 360 Special Edition Chrome Series Wireless Controllers. Available in Blue, Red and Silver these controllers also feature the transforming D-pad.

The controllers will have an estimated retail price of US $54.99 each and will be available mid-May.

Color availability will vary by region, so please check your local retailer for specific information or visit xbox.com/accessories for more details.

Two points:

First, that "transforming D-pad" mentioned above is a neat little feature that allows the Xbox 360 standard directional pad to switch between either a four-way cross configuration or a circular layout. It's a comfortable, if not entirely foolproof, fix for those gamers whose thumbs are blistered from hours of playing fighting games on Microsoft's console.

Second, that $54.99 price tag is $5 more than the standard wireless controller price point. Presumably that's the exact amount of money required by Microsoft's PR team to stretch the meaning of the word "chrome" to include shiny red plastic.

Hryb's blog post also includes a link to a photo gallery of the upcoming controllers [http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/sets/72157629724350813/], and literalist sarcasm aside, these new controllers do look very pretty. I leave it to you whether they're worth the extra scratch, but those of you hoping to blind opponents mid-match may want to make the investment.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2012/04/02/announcing-the-xbox-360-special-edition-chrome-series-wireless-controllers/]

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Not getting enough money for your old rope, Microsoft?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Pretty, but I sense, as with so many things with metallic paint that get handled, its' going to rub off fairly quickly and just look scrappy.

As such, not rushing to pay extra for a new colour.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
So isn't the use of the word "chrome" false advertising? Anyway, seems like a fingerprint magnet to me.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
That shiny won't last long, and when it fades I'll be left with a regular controller that's not even shiny. I would take it for the shiny, but I want my shiny to last forever like my shiny rock.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm.. yeah they look nice and all. The color selection of red white or blue is kinda weak (no love for xbox green?!!?)

Anyway not really interested personally. If they made them out of actual heavy ass chrome, yes. If there had been a wired option, Yes. Otherwise its just another xbox controller with slightly less usability in its non PC centric focus.

Cool, but really not worth the extra money to shell out just for the sake of shelling out money.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh god do want >.>. I'm a sucker for pretty looking Xbox 360 controllers.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
and here I was thinking that Microsoft was going to make a controller for the Google browser.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's nice, but a quick bash through eBay will find you mod kits for all the colours of the rainbow.

Of course you have to fit the shiny shell/buttons yourself and it voids warranties, but who cares?! Warranties are for wimps!

Although I'm still waiting a controller made from milled aluminium, that would be bad ass.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Pfffft, just do what my little brother who never bathes does: wait until your natural grease gets all over a standard controller and POOF! You've got your own "chrome" controller.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I'd like to say this is stupid but at the same time if I needed a new 360 controller I would probably shell out the extra 5 dollars for this. I like shiny things.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Yay another poorly made controller that will break in 6 months!
I have bought several controllers, and believe me I take care of them, I always put them away and don't mistreat them. I use ps3 controllers just as much as much and treat the same have had no problems and its 2 years old. My current 360 controller died in 6 months. So yay a new controller I have to bloody buy that will break yet again. Why cant Microsoft make good hardware?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It sure seems like it will get dirty fairly quick.

Thanks but no thanks Microsoft, I prefer my boring looking white wireless controller.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
If you gave me more robust analogue sticks, it'd be worth the 5 bucks. I hate when my character starts walking slowly forward when I don't want them to.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
No Xzibit pictures yet...

I'm fine with the controller I have. This doesn't really seem like big announcement material. "Our controllers now have gloss!"

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
At the risk of getting a warning for my low content post...

Ghastly.

That is all I have to say.

Big.Bad.Blowback

Mar 22, 2012
I did not see any indication on any of the sources that these are shiny plastic. Can you provide proof of this statement or direct me to the part I overlooked?

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It is funny to see the comments on flickr where people expect the whole controller to be metal.