Take-Two Boss Predicts the End of THQ

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Boss Predicts the End of THQ

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick says THQ will be dead and buried in six months.

THQ is in trouble. Five years ago its downgrading [https://www.google.ca/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:THQI] the planned Warhammer 40K MMO to a single-player game. But in the eyes of Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick, Brian Farrell and company are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Zelnick said at the MIT Business in Gaming conference that THQ's biggest problem is an over-reliance on licensed properties, which leaves it at the mercy of the license holders. Making a popular licensed game can actually turn around and bite a publisher when it comes time to renew the license, because it will have to pay more to keep the rights to a property it helped make popular in the first place.

But he was also blunt about another of THQ's issues: Most of its games just aren't all that exciting. Take-Two has had its fair share of financial issues too, a fact acknowledged by Zelnick, but in terms of their franchise stables there's just no comparison. Take Two brings all things Rockstar to the table, plus BioShock, Civilization and, hopefully, Xcom. THQ's biggest titles are Saints Row, WWE, UFC and Warhammer 40K, none of which, with the possible exception of Saints Row, can be considered a true heavyweight.

"The most important difference is quality. Take-Two has the highest quality ratings among third-party publishers, according to Metacritic and most people in the industry. Quality really, really, really matters. THQ has had some good games, but their quality levels aren't even remotely... the quality hasn't measured up," he said. "[The] strategy didn't work and the execution was bad. To put it another way: the food was no good and the portions were small."

The bottom line? "THQ won't be around in six months," he said.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/thq-wont-be-around-in-six-months-says-take-two-ceo-zelnick/]

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
i love saints row this is such a shame if it's true.i mean with a graph like that in the post it takes alot of innovation of a business model to pull it back. its harder than you think to just start creating original content

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i hope not i like there games well the ones for the genres i like and Strauss i hope karma doesn't bite you in the ass

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Idk, the last THQ game I really liked was Titan Quest. Everything since then hasn't really seemed all that interesting. The upcoming 40k RPG looks promising. At first I didn't really care about that because I personally don't care for MMORPGs, but an RPG?... done right, I could like that.
But unless it is something really amazing, I doubt it'd pull them out of the gutter.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
tony2077 said:
i hope not i like there games well the ones for the genres i like and Strauss i hope karma doesn't bite you in the ass
Why would Karma bite him? He's made and sourced his observation, and isn't being a dick about it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
That's too bad, THQ got some good games, but still this isn't a surprise. They haven't really strck gold with any of their recent releases. Hopefully this prophecy wont be fulfilled and we can get some new quality games.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Richardplex said:
tony2077 said:
Why would Karma bite him? He's made and sourced his observation, and isn't being a dick about it.
don't you know karma's a *****

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
I always considered Warhammer 40k to be a pretty big heavy weight. Space Marine alone sold a couple million copies. To be honest Take2 is a company I never found very appealing, not THQ.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well in a couple of months Darksiders 2 will come out so we will see how that does. Only other game I can think of they have coming out very soon is Nexius but I doubt that's going to light up.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
RETAKE VOLITION! Before it's too late!
I think its too late.

When a developer can take the brilliant (but slightly flawed)Red Faction: Guerrilla and turn it into the turd that was Armageddon and then also take the amazing fun that was Saints Row 1 and 2 and then crap out Saints Row The Third, I think that developer's time has passed.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
With such titles under their belt as... umm... Games Explosion! [http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/743/743531p1.html], I don't think I'd miss 'em too much if they disappeared.

P.S. Thanks

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
mad825 said:
So long as I get my Metro:Last light I don't care.
I was thinking that too. They aren't all terrible bringing us Metro 2033 and as the original publisher of STALKER:SoC. Then again that was a long time ago.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
mad825 said:
This. I also hope Vigil and Relic survives this. Someone like Eidos/Square-Enix should pick them up.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Packie_J said:
mad825 said:
This. I also hope Vigil and Relic survives this. Someone like Eidos/Square-Enix should pick them up.
How about someone aside from Square-Enix who sit on a ton of series doing nothing with them while destroying their own brand with stupidity.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
"Oh a publisher lies passed out with broken legs over there! Let's poke him with a stick!"
Sounds more like someone is twirrling his mustache while sitting on a high horse. I hope in six month this horse has an unpleasent encounter with a badger hole.