Fallout 3 DLC, Game Editor Announced

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 3 DLC, Game Editor Announced

Great news for Bethesda [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] has announced the forthcoming release of three downloadable content packs and the G.E.C.K. game editor.

The first DLC pack will be available beginning in January 2009 when Operation: Anchorage is released to the public, an "action-packed" add-on that puts players in a military simulation of the liberation of Anchorage, a turning point in the war with Communist China. Following that in February will be The Pitt, offering the chance to travel to an industrial raider town located in the remains of Pittsburgh, and then in March will come Broken Steel, a continuation of the main storyline which will allow players to join the Brotherhood of Steel and rid the Capital Wasteland of the Enclave once and for all.

The release of the G.E.C.K. game editor, meanwhile, will let players create and modify Fallout 3 content ranging from landscapes, towns and specific locations to all-new dialog, characters, weapons, creatures and more. "We've always seen the original world of Fallout 3 as a foundation for even more content. Some created by us, and a lot more created by users," said Fallout 3 Game Director Todd Howard. "It's fun to create your own character, but it can be equally fun to create your own adventures. We can't wait to see what the community does with the G.E.C.K."

The first Fallout 3 DLC packs are being released for the XBox 360 [http://www.xbox.com] and PC versions of the game, while the G.E.C.K. content editor, available beginning in December, will be exclusive to the PC.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
i like the sound of the 3 content packs so far, not to bothered by the content editor though since i havent got the pc version due to a need to upgrade my graphics card and a lack of enough cash to do so atm.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Go Pittsburgh! If there is any city that should be in a post-apocalyptic game, it's Pittsburgh.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Somethingfake said:
Great, now we'll be able to succeed where Besthesda fail; in making a bug-free, crash free game.
What do you mean? Fallout is bug free and crash free for me, this is just more things for a completed game. Nothing wrong with adding a bit more post- production.

Anyway, this looks got to me. I ended up buying everything up for offer for Oblivion (bar horse armor there's a line) and will most likely end up doing the same for this game.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
conqueror Kenny said:
Somethingfake said:
Great, now we'll be able to succeed where Besthesda fail; in making a bug-free, crash free game.
What do you mean? Fallout is bug free and crash free for me, this is just more things for a completed game. Nothing wrong with adding a bit more post- production.

Anyway, this looks got to me. I ended up buying everything up for offer for Oblivion (bar horse armor there's a line) and will most likely end up doing the same for this game.
Have you played it on the PC? It was crashing at least once an hour for me. That and the numerous graphical glitches that make rocks float and bodies vibrate forever.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
thisbymaster said:
conqueror Kenny said:
Somethingfake said:

Have you played it on the PC? It was crashing at least once an hour for me. That and the numerous graphical glitches that make rocks float and bodies vibrate forever.
Nah, if I plaid it on my P.C it would most likely explode. I have it on my Xbox and it runs perfectly fine, much smoother and quicker than oblivion did.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Hahaha! This is good new's.

Although I do hope this in no way hinders their efforts to patch the game. If you havent had any problems with your copy, consider yourself lucky, chuckle a bit, and read this:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=c603b8255f83a305974cac826359ab44&showtopic=893458&st=100

Still though, always happy to see a good chunk added to an already heartily proportioned game.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I'm glad they're releasing the editor. That was THE reason why I acquired Fallout for the PC.

Bethesda's games have greatly benefited from community modding. Not only is Fallout 3 a great game, but I'm sure its longevity and appeal is also a result from the community-friendly reputation the developer has earned in the past.

Modders ahoy! \o/\o/

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
My PC version of Fallout has been fairly bulletproof. In fact, compared to what I'm hearing from 360-owning friends, I'd say my experience has actually been smoother than theirs. (Entirely anecdotal, of course, but still true.)

Back to the topic at hand, the new content looks a bit iffy to me. A step up from horse armor no doubt, but none of it sounds particularly compelling at this early stage. Of course, that won't be as relevant if it's cheap enough so we'll have to see how that unfolds. Either way, I won't be picking it up as DLC; I'll wait until Bethesda collects it all up into a boxed release, similar to Knights of the Nine, and purchase it that way.

But the GECK editor is a huge win. Not that I have the patience to create anything worthwhile myself, but I sure do look forward to seeing what other folks can do with it. Also, I don't get to do this very often so indulge me for a moment:

IN YOUR FACE, CONSOLETARDS! PC EXCLUSIVE! SUCK IT DOWN!

Thank you.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Malygris said:
IN YOUR FACE, CONSOLETARDS! PC EXCLUSIVE! SUCK IT DOWN!

Thank you.
Damn you news hounds! Us mortals would be banned for such an outburst!

Ahem. Malygris-berating aside, I'm very glad about G.E.C.K. and yet not even slightly surprised. This is Bethesda, after all. Very much looking forward to what the community spews out.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
What's the over/under on someone wrangling a team to try to create Van Buren?

Ok that joke aside I think this is great news (plus it gives me more incentive to get a new PC apart from the fact that my laptop is trying to kill itself)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Gahars said:
Only PC users get the level editor?

Come on Bethesda, where's the love?
It'd be hard to make the editor work on consoles, don't you think? Do 360s have Mouse and keyboard compatability yet?