Huge Lego Barrel Organ Plays the Star Wars Theme

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Huge Lego Barrel Organ Plays the Star Wars Theme

This is the most brilliantly nerdy rendition of the Star Wars theme you'll ever see.

I would certainly never suggest that the 3D re-release of The Phantom Menace [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-Phantom-Widescreen/dp/B00003CX5P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334351592&sr=8-1] was anything more than a terrible idea, but it did give us one good thing: a huge, hand-cranked barrel organ made out of more than 20,000 Lego bricks that features famous Star Wars settings and actually plays the Star Wars theme. It's admittedly not quite up to the standard set by the London Symphony Orchestra, but it's being played by a giant cylinder covered in Lego. Lego!

The barrel organ was created by professional Lego builders Rene Hoffmeister and Axel Al-Rubaie to commemorate the release of the 3D version of The Phantom Menace in Germany. It was displayed in several theaters and is currently making the rounds through various Lego events before it eventually ends up in Legoland Germany.

[gallery=697]

"We took the iconic Star Wars Main Theme, rearranged it and translated it into a matrix - the constrution blueprint for the organ," the Cargo Collective [http://cargocollective.com/kreativitey/BUILDERS-OF-SOUND-THE-LEGO-STAR-WARS-ORGAN] blog explains. "Then, we took the four most famous Star Wars worlds - Hoth, Tatooine, Endor and the Death Star - and built them on to the barrel, accordingly to the musical composition. When the organ is turned, the bricks touch mechanical sensors - these strike the keys of a built-in keyboard and play the Star Wars Main Theme."

I think it's fair to say that some design liberties were taken with the settings, but at this point the whole of Star Wars is about taking liberties. And what of it, anyway? I'll take this over those crappy cardboard stand-ups we get around these parts any day of the week.

Source: Laughing Squid [http://laughingsquid.com/custom-made-lego-star-wars-organ-plays-the-star-wars-theme-song/]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow that pretty much beat all the other "impressive things made from LEGO" I have seen. I mean how the hell did they get it to work while putting that much detail into it? Also man that must weight alot as in I don't want that thing rolling on me!

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Lego Professional sounds like one of the greatest jobs to have. The only note worthy thing I ever made from Lego was a bat.

LunaticPanda

Sep 12, 2011
This is the job I was made for o.0
It's obviously for me, I made a weak but functional crossbow out of Lego and a rubber band when I was 9, so I must be a prodigy!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
being a lego professional is a pretty tough job though, i think it's only for people who really want to commit to plastic brick building

on a level unhealthy for normal human beings

CharlesBronson

Jun 12, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Germans: They may not be funny, but they sure build some funny things
Now he very well could be German, but Lego is from Denmark.

But I agree with your statement none the less. I mean come on, the Germans brought us the garden gnome...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
This is awesome! I wish I could make things like that for a living.