Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Live-Action Cartoons and Why They Fail

The guys are getting animated.

Read Full Article

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I can agree that its a tough choice between which of the two movies are worst

I used to love DBZ back in teens - heck, I'm pretty sure that show was why I let my hair grow out. But I grew out of it when I discovered better anime (didn't take much) that didn't waste 70% of its screen-time with useless sidekicks grunting and moaning in awe of how slow the main plot was

the airbender series on the other hand... Oh I loves me some airbender. Good writing, good animation, good character development. It was all good

So, I would argue that the shamylamy's movie is the worst. Why?

The DBZ movie was so bad - and the observation that it looks like a low-budget disney made-for-dvd afternoon special is quite apt...

but the DBZ has one 'saving grace' - its forgettable: Its so bad and goes so much off course from the original material that it would be so easy just to go "screw this, any future DBZ movies ignore what happened in this one" - heck, all the animated DBZ movies prove that DBZ can be done movie length, so just adapt one of those for a movie?

The airbender movie doesn't have that luxury. It was sold as a proper movie adaptation of the series, a lot of money was spent to make and market it... and then it sucked.

Now, while I don't think that hollywood execs would be stupid enough not to recognize that Shamy completely screwed the pooch on this, then I do fear that it completely ruined the possibility for future live-action airbender movies.

in that sense I argue that the airbender movie did the most damage. It ruined a franchize. The DBZ movie was the result of whoever usually wrote the script for hanna-montana being made into writing an anime-adaptation.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Rakor said:
Just hope Akira isn't going to eclipse this debate.
Ugh, why did you remind me of that? "Tetsuoooo!" "Kanedaaaa!" is going to become "Traviiiis!" "Canadaaaaa!" I'm not kidding. They're changing the name to Travis.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I know that this has been brought up many times, and the guys have even admitted to this on the show at times, and they even brought in a guest debater so that Kyle could judge "Best Anime" between Pokemon and Digimon...I get all that, but I still have to ask,

"Is Dan really a good judge for this show?"

Just off the top of my head, I can think of three occasions in No Right Explanation where Dan has said, "I haven't seen/played this, so I took this other person's word for it, etc." Don't me wrong, I like Dan, I just wonder if he should be the one judging and awarding the points when he seems to have so little working knowledge of Japanese cartoon/video games/etc and those things are kind of a big part of the gamer/geek culture that Chris and Kyle often debate over.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Punch You said:
Rakor said:
Just hope Akira isn't going to eclipse this debate.
Ugh, why did you remind me of that? "Tetsuoooo!" "Kanedaaaa!" is going to become "Traviiiis!" "Canadaaaaa!" I'm not kidding. They're changing the name to Travis.
I mean, as moviebob put it, if you're going to make it an american akira, make it american and don't throw in names or terms that your actors will just mispronounce anyway.

Regardless, hope remains.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
M Night Shyamalan are a bit hit and miss but it sounds like DB was the one that should have been good.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Kamehameha honestly isn't all that important as far as story goes but it's pretty much THE catchphrase of Dragonball. "Kamehameha" is a phrase as significant to anime as "Yippie-Kai-Yay ************" is to action films. You couldn't have a Die Hard movie without it.... oh wait.