NASA Announces Bake Sale Fundraiser

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NASA Announces Bake Sale Fundraiser

NASA aims to bolster its budget with a National Planetary Exploration Car Wash and Bake Sale.

You may have heard about recent, dramatic cuts to the budget at NASA, the U.S. agency responsible for all that science-type stuff that goes on up in space. The cuts are particularly bad for the agency's planetary exploration activities, which covers everything from Mars rovers to probes like Cassini-Huygens; according to io9 [http://io9.com/5885042/how-will-the-white-houses-brutal-budget-cuts-affect-nasa], the budget for Mars exploration alone was slashed by over 38 percent, effectively bringing further missions to a halt and forcing the cancellation of the ExoMars mission that was being undertaken in conjunction with the European Space Agency. Bill Nye, aka The Science Guy, who also also happens to be the Executive Director of the Planetary Society, said the cuts are indicative of wrong-headed priorities in the U.S. Government.

"Science is the part of NASA that's actually conducting interesting and scientifically important missions. Spacecraft sent to Mars, Saturn, Mercury, the Moon, comets, and asteroids have been making incredible discoveries, with more to come from recent launches to Jupiter, the Moon, and Mars," he said in February [http://www.planetary.org/about/press/releases/2012/0213_NASA_Budget_Pushes_Science_to_the_Brink.html]. "The country needs more of these robotic space exploration missions, not less."

So to help make up for the roughly $300 million shortfall, a Planetary Exploration Car Wash and Bake Sale is being held at various locations across the U.S. A "broad cross-section of planetary research and exploration institutions" are taking part, including the Lunar and Planetary Institute, the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona, Google X Prize competitor Moon Express, Notre Dame, UCLA, the University of Maryland, and many others. Speedo-clad physicists and engineers will playfully wash cars all day long, while a generous selection of cookies, pies, and other delights will be on sale for as long as they last!

Aside from the thrill of watching pasty, pear-shaped men throwing sponges and squirting each other with hoses under the hot summer sun, attendees will also enjoy the benefits of an awareness campaign that will draw attention to the deep budgetary cuts and their impact on scientific pursuits. Each event will be led by a local organizer, a media rep and a treasurer, who will be guided by an "event cookbook" provided by a national coordinator, and the whole thing is being publicized through PEN, Facebook, Twitter, and other press channels.

All funds raised by the Car Wash and Bake Sale will be sent by local organizers to the House or Senate Appropriations Committees in the form of "dozens of letters" filled with cash. Will it add up to $300 million? Hopefully - but if we have to settle for increased awareness of the importance of NASA's mission among politicians and the public alike, I guess that's okay too.

The National Planetary Exploration Car Wash and Bake Sale will take place on June 9. To learn more or find a location near you, check out boulder.swri.edu [http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~con/June9/PlanetaryCarWash.html].

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
ummm last thing anyone wants to see is a bunch of nasa scientists washing cars not sure i trust their cooking either

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration? Guys in case you haven't noticed the there is the biggest recession in 80 years going on and therefore you have to cut your cloth to suit your purse. I think it would have been more effective to use kickstarter for some projects, say funding one of the instrument packages.

Am I the only one thinking of Howard Wolowitz?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It's a sad day when NASA has to resort to the same tactics as high school bands to get what they need done. The longer it takes for us to get off this damned rock to exploit some other planet, the higher the odds get that we'll blow ourselves to bits over resources.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
albino boo said:
Just how many people should lose their entitlement to medical care to pay for Mars exploration? Guys in case you haven't noticed the there is the biggest recession in 80 years going on and therefore you have to cut your cloth to suit your purse. I think it would have been more effective to use kickstarter for some projects, say funding one of the instrument packages.

No one mentioned cutting medicare, they could increase taxs on high income earners to be higher then on middle class earners or cut the defense budget that is bigger then the next few nations defence budgets combined.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Meanwhile, the government spends a few more billion dollars on some shitty F-35s.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
mad825 said:
How unoriginal, creative fund-raising isn't rocket science.
As no doubt the organisers found out.

In all seriousness though: I'm not entirely sure how exactly "we're doing cool stuff with robots! In SPAAAAAAACEE" is the most deserving candidate for that 300 million.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Daymo said:
No one mentioned cutting medicare, they could increase taxs on high income earners to be higher then on middle class earners or cut the defense budget that is bigger then the next few nations defence budgets combined.
Why not cut the defense budget and raise taxes?

I would advise against cutting medicare, until a much better plan for taking care of senior citizens medical needs is formed. I know I can't afford to cover my parents medical bills.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Daymo said:
Why not cut the defense budget and raise taxes?

I would advise against cutting medicare, until a much better plan for taking care of senior citizens medical needs is formed. I know I can't afford to cover my parents medical bills.
In a dream world they would do both, but we all know it would be lucky for either one of these things to pass.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Good. Regardless of whether you want to raise taxes or cut defense spending, there's a 15 trillion dollar debt that needs to be brought into reign and NASA's notorious for overbudgetting and wasting money, second to the military in that sense. Cut them both.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
IPunchWithMyFists said:
Up until the very moment I read it, I was totally convinced this was The Onion's handiwork.
I saw it in my RSS reader and thought the exact same thing.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
albino boo said:

Rank in Funding: Department

12th:NASA
11th:Justice
10th:Transportation
9th:Agriculture
8th:Energy
7th:Homeland Security
6th:Housing and Urban Development
5th:Veterans Affairs
4th:State and Other International Programs
3rd:Education
2nd:Health and Human Services (Medicare & Medicaid)
1st:Defense

Yea, Looks like NASA is gonna take all that Medicare away. Look its only 10 ranks behind in funding! Good lord somebody stop it before it takes all the money away!
Seriously for all that they do NASA is one of the most criminally underfunded departments on the national budget.