Ex-Titan Quest Dev Brings New Game to Kickstarter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ex-Titan Quest Dev Brings New Game to Kickstarter

The indie action-RPG Grim Dawn has joined the crowdfunding party.

Return with me now to days long ago, which is to say February 2010, and a pre-pay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/the-needles/7151-The-Needles-Crowd-Contributed-Game-Development-A-Grim-Dawn-Breaks] for Grim Dawn at one of three different levels to help ease the strain of the development process. Yet in spite of being way ahead of the crowdfunding curve, Grim Dawn hasn't actually joined in on the wild Kickstarter party - until now.

The Kickstarter thread [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn] on the Grim Dawn forum before you start throwing your money around.]

And why does a project that's been in the works for so long need Kickstarter help now? "Though we have several experienced developers working on Grim Dawn, only two of us are in a financial situation where we can afford to support ourselves without a salary (albeit on a steady diet of bread and moldy cheeses)," the devs wrote on their Kickstarter page. "The other guys involved with Grim Dawn work day jobs at other game studios to pay the bills and contribute as they can on nights and weekends. As you might imagine, this makes for pretty slow going and it is certainly not ideal for creative collaboration. When critical team members end up in crunch at their day jobs, they can sometimes get tied up for weeks, causing certain aspects of our development to temporarily grind to a halt."

Because of that, things like art, animation and world design are "falling woefully behind" the programming and gameplay development. Grim Dawn is in good shape as far as gameplay and features go, but there's just not enough actual content to support a release. "While we could still finish a fine little game on our own that would be rough around the edges but very fun, we believe there is a much greater potential that could be realized if we were more adequately funded and staffed," they continued. "So we're hoping you can help give us some proper funding so that we can get the team together, start making faster progress and ultimately release a bigger, better game."

Grim Dawn, for the record, is an action-RPG very much in the vein of Titan Quest and Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Collectors-Edition-Pc/dp/B0050SZC5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334690673&sr=8-1], but with a number of enhancements aimed at making it more appealing to the hardcore crowd. It features an open-world design with randomized elements and non-linear progression, destructible environments, customizable classes, splattertastic combat, factions, online and LAN-based multiplayer and more. Modding tools will also be included, and the whole thing will be DRM-free.

The gameplay on display in the Grim Dawn Kickstarter pitch trailer has come a long way from the pre-alpha video that was shown a couple of years ago, and even in its current state the game looks hot. Roughly $40,000 of the $280,000 funding target has been raised and there's still 31 days left on the clock. The situation seems promising, in other words - and I think I'm about to get a little bit poorer.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Wow, already over 1,000 backers. Earlier this morning when I first saw this kickstarter page, there was only around 200!

I'm glad this got featured here. I'm impressed with how good Grim Dawn looks.

Although I still am looking forward for Diablo 3, this looks like an excellent alternative. (Especially with Diablo's always on DRM and controversial auction house.)

I hope these guys get all the help they need to complete this title. I'm definitely going to level some bills in their direction. Getting alpha and beta access to this is very enticing to me.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I do wish they'd waited a couple of months for this, or at least extended it to 60 days so I'd have a little more time to absorb the Wasteland 2 payout. But I'm not going to miss out on this.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
It's only been 3 and a half months, and already we've had more kickstarts this year than Daytona Beach Bike Week.
Or the Dragon Rally for you Brits
I think it's great. It's not like there are a lot of other releases at the moment for people to spend money on and not everyone needs to contribute to every project. I've backed 3 different games this year but I won't be backing this one. The last thing I'm interested in is another action RPG. Yet, if the Kickstarter model is to gain any sort of foothold in the industry, it needs to offer lots of different genres to appeal to different gamers.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
An amazing game and these guys truly deserve everyone's support. I think out of all the Kickstarter projects they are actually the closest to having a finished product.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
I do wish they'd waited a couple of months for this, or at least extended it to 60 days so I'd have a little more time to absorb the Wasteland 2 payout. But I'm not going to miss out on this.
I sorta agree with you, lots of kickstarting going around at the moment.
On the other hand, these are the kind of people I would want my money to go to.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Please don't pirate it this time :p

Iron Lore's Titan Quest was great... I still play it! I hope this game's as mod-friendly and even more flexible in its character development system!

Aity

Jan 26, 2012
According to the devs, GD will support mods. They are making this game as much for us as they are for themselves. I've donated to them already, I hope others pitch in and help them out. They are really doing some amazing things with that engine.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
First Kickstarter project I'm actually considering to support. Love TQ and I've had my eyes open for this game since the first video was out. Think it looks awesome.
I do hope it takes a while for the game to get released though. Reckon Diablo III will keep me busy for quite a while.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DanielBrown said:
First Kickstarter project I'm actually considering to support. Love TQ and I've had my eyes open for this game since the first video was out. Think it looks awesome.
I do hope it takes a while for the game to get released though. Reckon Diablo III will keep me busy for quite a while.
From what I've read on the GD forums, the alpha will be out in about 6-8 months.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
It's only been 3 and a half months, and already we've had more kickstarts this year than Daytona Beach Bike Week.
Or the Dragon Rally for you Brits
To be fair, GD was taking money for pre-orders (though not on kickstarter) before Tim Schafer created his investor bubble.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Eric the Orange said:
DanielBrown said:
From what I've read on the GD forums, the alpha will be out in about 6-8 months.
Good enough! Thanks for sharing. :)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Not sure why the original Kickstarter trailer on YouTube was set to private but I've put in a new link, so if you haven't seen it yet, check it out. It looks pretty fantastic.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Also sorry for spamming responses, but I am very excited about this game and would be very saddened if It did not meet it's Kickstarter destination.