Dead Rising 2 Artist Rebuilds Solar System in Unreal Engine

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Dead Rising 2 Artist Rebuilds Solar System in Unreal Engine

Visit Jupiter or Mars without leaving your home.

Space is big. Really big. But game designer and environment artist Christopher Albeluhn is hoping to make it just a little bit smaller with a new program called The Solar System: Explore Your Backyard, which faithfully reconstructs the entirety of our solar system using just the Unreal Engine.

Initially starting out as a project for his portfolio, which includes previous work from Dead Rising 2 and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Albeluhn planned on mapping out the planet Earth in the Unreal Engine as an example of his technical skills. But as he spent more time working on the project, he kept adding more and more levels of detail to the simulator it until it encompassed most of the solar system .

"Every night I began making it bigger, better, and more of what I wanted to see in a space program," Albeluhn wrote on his project's webpage. The current version of Explore Your Backyard includes our sun, eight planets (Pluto unfortunately got the axe), their moons, and a whole host of constellations. Albeluhn's simulator is so detailed it even includes the scientifically accurate locations, orbits, and speeds of nearly every celestial body within our solar system.

"Growing up I had always wished I could explore space my way, and this project has turned into exactly that," Albehun said in an email interview with the Huffington Post. "There are many space related applications out there, but most are bland and unable to draw in new users. This project aims to change that."

Currently, Albehun is aiming to release the program for the PC, but hopes to release a version for Android and iOS devices. You can check out Explore Your Backyard IndieGoGo page [http://www.explorethesolarsystem.com/Explore_The_Solar_System.html] for more information.

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/16/solar-system-sim_n_1428610.html]

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
This reminds me of Universe Sandbox... I wonder if we'll have as much control over what we can do with the Solar System, or whether it is simply an exploration program?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, that is so freaking cool.

Now work on the whole galaxy! It should only take...Ummm..*does math*

Oh. Nevermind.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's not quite the universe, but Albeluhn has earned the right to make an apple pie from scratch. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc]

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
While this is a neat and shiny model of our solar system, ultimately it cannot even hold a candle to Space Engine, especially if he intends to charge for this program. I wonder if he has ever heard of Space Engine and still call other space apps "bland" when he only makes a model of our solar system.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I'll donate money as soon as he begins to incorporate it to a space simulator game.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
This really needs to have the Mass Effect map music in the background.

Seriously, I've been playing that non-stop for the past four days, the video feels legitimately wrong without it.

Akisa said:
I'll donate money as soon as he begins to incorporate it to a space simulator game.
What he said.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Viper1265 said:
While this is a neat and shiny model of our solar system, ultimately it cannot even hold a candle to Space Engine, especially if he intends to charge for this program. I wonder if he has ever heard of Space Engine and still call other space apps "bland" when he only makes a model of our solar system.
I'm glad someone else mentioned SpaceEngine, such a powerful and detailed program, and FREE.

You can zoom into the center of our galaxy, right onto the black hole and see the gravitational lensing around it. You can zoom out of our galaxy, explore other galaxies. It is truly a fantastic space exploration program.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I guess this is a good a place as any to post this video[footnote]
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blog/2012/03/28/a-ride-to-space-back-video-from-a-booster-engine/[/footnote]. Space is awesome

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
If this can be expanded to be a UE3-powered version of Universe Sandbox [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_Sandbox], then I'm sold!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Mike Richards said:
This really needs to have the Mass Effect map music in the background.

Seriously, I've been playing that non-stop for the past four days, the video feels legitimately wrong without it.

Akisa said:
What he said.
If it does become a game, I'd steer clear of the moon.

At night, you can still hear the cries of "johnmaddenjohnmaddenjohnmaddenjohnmadden"...