Super Monday Night Combat Is a Little Premature

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Super Monday Night Combat Is a Little Premature

Super Monday Night Combat is available on Steam right now, but it isn't supposed to be.

Uber Entertainment's free-to-play follow-up to Monday Night Combat is technically supposed to be still in beta, but due to some technical shenanigans, the game is now available to the general public. [http://store.steampowered.com/app/104700/ ]

"We had a bunch of invite issues over the weekend and the cleanest way to sort that out is to open it up," reads a developer post on the Uber Entertainment forums. [http://www.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21005 ] "There will be a formal announcement, promotion, etc coming soon with the next patch. Really the way we see it, it's no different that what we've been doing, which is continue to update the game."

So yeah, I guess it's now technically an open beta.

Despite sharing 76% (approximately, back off, mathematicians) of its name with its predecessor, Super Monday Night Combat plays much differently. While Monday Night Combat was pretty much just a shooter with a tower defense game tacked on, SMNC puts far more emphasis on tower building and strategy. It isn't perfect, it was still in beta for a reason, but it has a quirky sense of humor and, at the rather cheap price of free, it's difficult to fault.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
Hmmmm... guess I can't argue with the price of free. Sounds good.

Also, there were some invite issues over the weekend? That explains why none of the 4 beta keys that I received for the game didn't work.

I look forward to playing this game soon.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
It's pretty easy to fault, actually. Judging a game on an enjoyment/cost metric doesn't really hold up all that well and devalues other free to play games.

Not only that, but it's a pretty poor game in comparison to the first MNC.

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's pretty easy to fault, actually. Judging a game on an enjoyment/cost metric doesn't really hold up all that well and devalues other free to play games.

I see. Well, surely over time, it can get better with updates and patches. I hope.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
DTH1337 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

I see. Well, surely over time, it can get better with updates and patches. I hope.
I doubt it, I loved the original, but this feels like a weak attempt to cash in on DoTA's and LoL's successes, and it's just done poorly. They should have just stuck with what they knew.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:

Can i have an explanation as to why a enjoyment/cost system doesn't work? Cause i dont always enjoy things i get free. But i factor in that when i reflect upon it. I cant fault it as much when i dont pay anything for it because they didnt take any money from me so im not cheated out of anything but time. But thats my fault not theirs.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Can i have an explanation as to why a enjoyment/cost system doesn't work? Cause i dont always enjoy things i get free. But i factor in that when i reflect upon it. I cant fault it as much when i dont pay anything for it because they didnt take any money from me so im not cheated out of anything but time. But thats my fault not theirs.
Time is money, as they say. But it's a simple opportunity cost.
By taking the time to download, install and then try out something that turns out to not be fun, you've lost time which could be better spent on a more fun activity.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

It works just fine when a game has a cost, but when you start looking at free to play titles, things get... Janky.

I'll show you mathematically.

Let N = Enjoyment, let x = cost, and let y = value.

y = N/x when x equals 0 is undefined, and doesn't provide any useful information whatsoever.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

It works just fine when a game has a cost, but when you start looking at free to play titles, things get... Janky.

y = N/x when x equals 0 is undefined, and doesn't provide any useful information whatsoever.

ok fair enough on that.

Edit: hmmm way to small of increments after some calculation.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

ok fair enough on that.

Not only that, but it doesn't fix the undefined issue. Easy mistake, though. Good talking with you!

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

ok fair enough on that.

Not only that, but it doesn't fix the undefined issue. Easy mistake, though. Good talking with you!

You have enlightened my eyes. But at the same time i counter with this: if i factor in what i pay..yet pay nothing..there is nothing to factor in and as such i wouldnt bother with it. It stands by my point but doesnt negate yours either. But i will remember this discussion of knowledge for when i start reviewing games. Thank you sir and have a wonderful day.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Are you... are you seriously trying to take fun and work it into a finite math equation? Dude, no wonder you're not enjoying yourself in free games... you're too busy trying to figure out IF you're having fun! XD

Fun is only fun when it remains in an unbound, unrestrained, free form ball of energy state. If encapsulated into math equations, it withers and dies.

I can only speak for myself, but the enjoyment/cost ratio works just fine for free titles. If the game is free, I replace the cost with the cost of my time. This is how I judge pretty much every single app on the app store (I generally don't buy apps, just surf the free ones)

Otherwise, you are effectively saying that it's impossible to gauge whether or not to watch a movie on Netflix/Hulu (since you pay a bucket cost and then all content is essentially "free without limitations"), not to mention the bajillion other instances in life where things we do for fun have no directly correlated cost (ignoring things like electricity bills, hardware costs, etc.). How can I evaluate whether or not I enjoy running when I can do it for free? Do I enjoy videos on YouTube? I wouldn't know since I pay nothing!

I realize I've taken this to absurd lengths, but you see where i'm going. I just can't fathom the value of our time being restrained to costs. To each their own, but I would seriously suggest ditching the concept of putting enjoyment within 200 yds of math equations... unless you're a programmer. 8P

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
The.Bard said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Anthony Wells said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

Are you... are you seriously trying to take fun and work it into a finite math equation? Dude, no wonder you're not enjoying yourself in free games... you're too busy trying to figure out IF you're having fun! XD

Fun is only fun when it remains in an unbound, unrestrained, free form ball of energy state. If encapsulated into math equations, it withers and dies.

I can only speak for myself, but the enjoyment/cost ratio works just fine for free titles. If the game is free, I replace the cost with the cost of my time. This is how I judge pretty much every single app on the app store (I generally don't buy apps, just surf the free ones)

Otherwise, you are effectively saying that it's impossible to gauge whether or not to watch a movie on Netflix/Hulu (since you pay a bucket cost and then all content is essentially "free without limitations"), not to mention the bajillion other instances in life where things we do for fun have no directly correlated cost (ignoring things like electricity bills, hardware costs, etc.). How can I evaluate whether or not I enjoy running when I can do it for free? Do I enjoy videos on YouTube? I wouldn't know since I pay nothing!

I realize I've taken this to absurd lengths, but you see where i'm going. I just can't fathom the value of our time being restrained to costs. To each their own, but I would seriously suggest ditching the concept of putting enjoyment within 200 yds of math equations... unless you're a programmer. 8P
See, I have spare time everywhere, so the cost of time is again, reduced to 0. Plus, maths is fun.

Aity

Jan 26, 2012
Back on topic...

The game is fun, having bought the original MNC and getting my ass handed to me every 2 minutes by some flying assault or backstabbing assassin, I prefer the new SMNC. It relies more on teamwork than individual skill. I've played on random teams where the individual players weren't very good but as a team we ended up winning the game.

The end result for me is a deep game where you can win under very different conditions that I have fun playing. Free or not.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
See, I have spare time everywhere, so the cost of time is again, reduced to 0. Plus, maths is fun.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm at a point where my time is more valuable than my money.

I apologize for raining on your math parade! =D Do what makes you happy!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Didnt like the original MNC. Mostly because i found it nigh-impossible to get into an online game.

As such, im not totally hot for SMNC, hopefully someone can give direct comparisons in a professional review.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Nobody play this game until after Rule Change 33 goes out, for the love of God. It's not ready for open beta. It will be MUCH better after RC33.

RC33 will be out later today. Come back tomorrow.

Edit: It updated. GO FORTH AND PLAY.

Sep 24, 2008
I was in love with MNC.

SMNC feels like it was cheating on me with someone who believes in Scientology and has secretly been whispering in my ear, trying to convert me through my dreams.

Yes, It's just that weird to me.

Emphasis on tower building? The one rule SMNC will spit out all the time is that you can't build a tower once it's gone. I don't even know if you can upgrade it.

Everyone has been nerfed. Everyone.

Truly, only a few pros feel even useful any more.

The real thing about MNC that I loved was that I felt like a freaking force of nature. By my actions, sometimes a whole game was turned around. Controlling bot lanes while ducking sniper shots. Laying down bombs to prevent people from respawning towers that I just took down. Harassing the other team to give my team the chance to take down the jackbot. I felt it when I earned the title of MVP. Now, I'm just a cog. Oh. and the worst insult;

THERE'S. NO. FREAKING. MICKEY.

You said it wouldn't hurt, but it does! indeed.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
I was in love with MNC.

SMNC feels like it was cheating on me with someone who believes in Scientology and has secretly been whispering in my ear, trying to convert me through my dreams.

Yes, It's just that weird to me.

Emphasis on tower building? The one rule SMNC will spit out all the time is that you can't build a tower once it's gone. I don't even know if you can upgrade it.

Everyone has been nerfed. Everyone.

Truly, only a few pros feel even useful any more.

The real thing about MNC that I loved was that I felt like a freaking force of nature. By my actions, sometimes a whole game was turned around. Controlling bot lanes while ducking sniper shots. Laying down bombs to prevent people from respawning towers that I just took down. Harassing the other team to give my team the chance to take down the jackbot. I felt it when I earned the title of MVP. Now, I'm just a cog. Oh. and the worst insult;

THERE'S. NO. FREAKING. MICKEY.

You said it wouldn't hurt, but it does! indeed.
There is a reason why Mickey is not returning in Super MNC

His voice actor had a union dispute with Uber, so he had to be pulled.

The current announcers are GG Stack (A Uber Employee) and Chip Valvano (A friend of GG's who he does improv with)

I miss Mickey as much as the next guy, but the 2 new announcers have chemistry, and are a change, which is nice.