Why The Witcher 2 Needed an Enhanced Edition

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Why The Witcher 2 Needed an Enhanced Edition

CD Projekt vastly improved the unconventional RPG for the Xbox release.

Read Full Article

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Just so you know, Poles don't use cyrylic alphabet, we're stuck with the same set of letters as the majority of the world ;p Cyryllic aphabet was as weird for us as it was to any english speaking country.

Kahunaburger said:
So, better or worse than Dragon Age 2?
It's easy to be better than DA2, it's like scoring higher than a 0 on a test. You get your name right and you're already halfway there.

Dec 14, 2009
I gotta say, I'm loving the game.

Combat is deep, signs are awesome, alchemy actually has a purpose and the whole game just feels fine tuned.

Roch is mah bro.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
There's still the awkward dialogue choice that allows players to play the prologue out of order.
Which I will never in a million years understand how people mixed up. Roche asks you to talk him through the day, after which you're presented the 4 options which are quite clearly in chronological order. Not exactly a leap of logic.

CD Projekt thankfully removed the annoyingly long animation of Geralt kneeling down, drinking potions, then throwing the bottle away. You still can't drink potions in combat, but I'll take what I can get.
Still in the PC's Enhanced Edition. And drinking potions outside of combat is both part of the lore and a valid element of the combat. It's pretty obvious when you're likely to encounter combat, and any 'surprise' parts (bar one pretty troublesome fight in the original version) are perfectly doable without potions.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Now that the update is available I have to wonder if I even want to play it again... I've already replayed it twice to take the different path and to ignore stuff to see how the story changes.

I'll probably wait for the third installment before playing it again with these enhancements, or if there is nothing to play once I finish my backlog.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I actually haven't played the game yet, despite pre-ordering it on GOG.com before its original release. With so many other games (and the Internet, and school) to distract me... I haven't even finished the original Witcher game. Going to try to do something about that this summer, if nothing else.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
So glad they're making the menus easier to navigate. I'm still downloading the patch right now, so thanks for the taste of things to come, Mr. Tito!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Sorry, but I HAVE to mention this - I still cant wrap my head around the perfect score this website gave for DAII. And then we get an article on how TW2 needed an EE. Just saying.

Anyway, I hope you can turn those potion drinking animations back on. Im probably the only guy who liked them but meh. I liked em. Gave you a sense of preparation before jumping into combat.
They're still there for me in the PC EE. And I am still wrapping my head around the 3 pages worth of review which didn't even devote a line to mention the importance of your choices - luckily I have completely refrained from mentioning it in this thread....

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Woodsey said:
Pretty much this, I never got how people were confused by that, seemed pretty obvious to me.

Also any chance the fight your on about is

The fight with the Kingslayer in Act 1? I got slightly caught out by that one the first time around

Pretty much this too.

Anywho, I have yet to play the Enhanced Edition, my computers Graphics Card is fuct and with the limited funds I have, its either replace graphics card or go to Download Festival, and I'd rather go Download Festival.

Oh well, I can happily wait until after June to play it. Still waiting on a translated version of Times of Contempt for god sake, it better be coming out in December.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
It's funny how much people rage about DA2. Yes, it's not as good as the first, and it may not deserve a perfect score, but it's not the worst RPG ever. It's at least enjoyable.

Aiberg

Oct 2, 2009
Please don't think that I'm trolling. I'm a big fan of both the escapist and its staff. It's only because I want to talk about it that I'm mentioning this.

I think Greg Tito didn't realize at the time that Witcher 2 was going to be this big!

Hence, his first take on the game was disregardful. All he wrote in his initial review was how punishingly difficult the beginning section was in contrast to a tutorial. I agree with him on that, but surely he could gather all his thoughts in a simple paragraph and move on to the rest 99%, which was amazing. I for one prefer someting a little unpolished, yet superior in content. How could one find Witcher 2 so lacking when none of its competitors include anything as remotely sophisticated as its atmosphere?

The game stands above all its competitors, its maturity is something completely fresh in the industry.

So I believe Greg Tito has finally seen that gamers will appreciate such a great game, hence he is backtracking from his negative comments now that Witcher 2 started to receive its most deserved praise.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
El Luck said:
Woodsey said:
Pretty much this, I never got how people were confused by that, seemed pretty obvious to me.

The fight with the Kingslayer in Act 1? I got slightly caught out by that one the first time around
Yeah, smacked me about like a ***** - of course, there are difficulty levels, so I just turned it down a notch. Certainly a flawed difficulty spike, but the amount of people who complained about the combat originally and refused to turn the difficulty down and instead stopped playing was rather bizarre.

Will be interesting to see if they've done anything with it in the EE, only just reached Flotsam again.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Finally downloaded the patch last night (12 gigs!). I remained ignorant of what, exactly, the Enhanced Edition was bringing to the table, and now I really can't wait to play the game for the 2nd time!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Anyway, I hope you can turn those potion drinking animations back on. Im probably the only guy who liked them but meh. I liked em. Gave you a sense of preparation before jumping into combat.
What's changed in the EE is that you don't have to wait for Geralt to sit down before the menu appears, that happens much quicker. The animation for drinking a potion remains the same.

I liked the potion drinking animation as well. According to the lore (and they now include an exposition video on 'What is a Witcher' in the Extras menu), Witchers don't simply down a flask and get down to business - it involves a meditative trance that enhances the potion's effectiveness. That's the reason you can't do it in combat. And knowing this, I feel a sense of graveness about the act of drinking potions, and the animation helps in the immersion.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Woodsey said:
El Luck said:
Woodsey said:

Yeah, smacked me about like a ***** - of course, there are difficulty levels, so I just turned it down a notch.
I fortunately had a save just before hand, so I went back to that one, but bloody hell that fight was a pain, granted the way I had Geralt specced at that time he was quite lacking.