The World Ends With You May Get a Sequel

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
The World Ends With You May Get a Sequel

TWEWY might have more coming up than just a Kingdom Hearts cameo.

When quirky Square Enix RPG The World Ends With You debuted, it faced an even more deadly threat than the murderous Reaper Games: lukewarm sales and a marketing team more interested in pushing the latest Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5219-Review-Final-Fantasy-Crystal-Chronicles-Ring-of-Fates], a producer at Square Enix has dropped hints that the unusual IP may be getting ready for a comeback.

One of the early levels in the upcoming 3DS installment of Kingdom Hearts will see KH protagonist Sora joining up with TWEWY mainstays Neku, Joshua, and Rhyme in an attempt to survive a deadly manhunt in Traverse Town. Tetsuya Nomura, a prominent producer/designer behind games like KH, TWEWY, Final Fantasy VII, and Super Mario RPG, gave an interview recently where he addressed the characters' inclusion. Rhyme, a prominent TWEWY protagonist, does not have any lines in Dream Drop Distance save for reaction sounds. When commenting on the reason why they included her at all, Nomura replied that it was "out of consideration of the future of The World Ends With You series." While he would not comment on a sequel directly, he remarked, "I can't say anything at present ... But there probably is something."

There are no exact sales figures for TWEWY, but based on its combined mega-blockbuster games [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Ends_with_You#Reception], a fanbase a few hundred thousand strong is nothing to sneeze at. The good news is that if Square Enix decides to go ahead with the sequel, The World Ends With You, Too is a title that pretty much writes itself.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con0r9/subarashiki_sequel_hints/]

Deverfro

Aug 2, 2009
TWEWY was one of the only JRPG's I've really liked. It was so addictive and fun.

And it might be cool to see it on a home console, but maybe the 3DS would be better.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I've been waiting for this for years! I do hope for a sequel, but I also hope Nomura doesn't mess it up. Or worse, start milking it. Doubtful, but it could happen.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT!

Please?

I mean, you make this game, even announce we can have this game, Square, then I will go out and buy a 3DS just for TWEWY. I loved this game and it's one of the few original IP J-RPG games that Square made that I really loved. I prefer this over Final Fantasy just for the unique aesthetic and atmosphere the game gave out and... and...

And I'll clean all this drool up.

Calumon: :S It smells like lunch...

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
It'd be cool to see more of the series, considering that I can't quite think of any games that were even similar to TWEWY. It's also nice seeing Square Enix at least somewhat care about its non-Final Fantasy IPs.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Just make Super Mario RPG again. Re-release it on the 3DS, idc. I don't want paper Mario. I want the snes version!

Jan 27, 2011
A tebebaa....Twema...A TWEWY SEQUEL MIGHT BE COMING?!?!?!??!!

Launch ALL the fireworks! Party in ALL the streets!

If they DO make another twewy game, I will PREORDER that thing day one. The first game is possibly the best JRPG I've ever played, and was one the best games I ever had the chance to play.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I always get confused between The World Ends With You and that rubbish Russian game with a similarly strange title that I totally can't remember the name of now...

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Five words:

Shutup and take my money.

I just recently broke down and got a 3ds when I realized that many of my favorate ds titles would soon be coming out on the 3DS. the next Latyon and the sequle to 9hours, 9persons, 9 doors was enough for me but if I didn't have one I WOULD buy this one just to play this game. TWEWY is in my top 5 favorate games of all time and perhaps the most recently made one.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I love TWEWY so much but a sequel can not be done.

I like The World Ends with You. A Lot. But at the same time I never want to see a sequel.

In my mind The World Ends with You is the closest gaming has ever gotten to a perfect game, and is probably the best example of games as art that I can think of. The story is the best I have ever seen in a game, the music is amazing, the combat works great, and the whole thing just oozes Style. What I like most about it is how it wraps everything up, tells all its story bits, lays down all its morals, and leaves you with nothing untold. And to top it off the developer's found a way to put some legitimately good humor into the game.

That is why I would hate to see a sequel. The only way to preserve a game like that would be to rerelease an updated version (a better map would be appreciated) on the 3DS Like what Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, or a cameo role in a Kingdom Hearts game (which is happening). There is no way a game could share the same universe as TWEWY and have half impact as the original.

It's like trying to make a sequel to Pulp Fiction, or Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I'm sure it could be done but would you really want it. Would it add anything to the original?

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010

In this world full of bad news like Norwegian mass murderers, children getting pregnant, homophobic practises and all that, news like this this is most welcome!

And it's TWEWY!

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Now, I know this was a DS-centric game back in the day (Hell, it's possibly my favorite DS game), but I can only hope they go multi-platform with it. I could see it working on the Vita, what with it's touch-screen.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Buretsu said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Now, I know this was a DS-centric game back in the day (Hell, it's possibly my favorite DS game), but I can only hope they go multi-platform with it. I could see it working on the Vita, what with it's touch-screen.
But it wouldn't be TWEWY unless you're bouncing your focus between two different screens with two completely different battle mechanics you have to operate at the same time with each hand.
Snap, didn't even take that into account....

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If it really does get a sequel than that is enough reason for me to get a 3DS (well ok I been wanting to buy one since I'm fed up turning on the old pc just to use the Wifi USB since it's not compatiblefor Window 7).

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Well, this is all well and good, but...

If it gets a sequel, it's not really the world ending with you, now, is it?