PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale All But Announced

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale All But Announced

Sony's long-rumored Smash Brothers-style brawler may finally be on its way.

Rumors regarding a game known simply as Title Fight (a supposed PlayStation-exclusive fighter featuring a wide cast of Sony's most iconic characters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114386-Rumor-Sony-Developing-Smash-Bros-Style-Brawler-for-PS3]) have been swirling since late last year. Yet, unlike most internet hearsay floating around out there, those concerning Title Fight had legs. Serious legs. Everything from the name of the developer, to photos of its team working on character models, to a few actual screengrabs of the game itself seemed to scream legitimacy. So, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that Sony recently registered the domain for www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com and www.playstationallstars.com, or that SuperBot Entertainment, the company behind project "Title Fight," has started that whole "post cryptic messages" thing that studios just love to do before a big announcement.

While Sony has yet to release any official information on what PlayStation All-Stars may actually be, or its connection (or lack thereof) to the game previously known as Title Fight, the pieces fit too nicely to be ignored. Aside from the overwhelming evidence that such a game has already been in development by SuperBot, that developer also just so happened to finally start its own Twitter page at nearly the exact time Sony nabbed the two domains, inaugurating the account with a simple message: "Boot sequence initiated... "

If the game is real, and the rumors are true, PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale will feature over twenty characters, including Kratos, Parappa the Rapper, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, Colonel Mael Radec and Sweet Tooth. There's also been mention of Jak & Daxter, LittleBigPlanet, and Hot Shots Golf-themed stages, which likely implies the inclusion of those characters as well. Either way, with SuperBot firing up for an announcement, and Sony snapping up URLs, we'll hopefully learn of the actual details soon enough.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-23-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-domain-registered]

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
OH YEA!!!

Im a huge Smash Bros fan, and would love to see some of my favorite Sony characters meet in a mash up!!

Edit: It suddenly occurs to me that they might try to keep characters from us ala DLC. In which case YAH!! BOO!! SUCKS!!! ... [small] I'll get it anyway...[/small]

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Sackboy versus Kratos? How is that even a match? Or Fat Princess, for that matter? If it's Sony's All Stars, then I expect to see Cole McGrath and Ratchet and Clank show up, since both of them actually have weapons that could be used for destructive/ridiculous battle royal scenarios, but this isn't Mortal Kombat we're talking here, where we're used to that kind of violence across the board that Kratos makes a feasible inclusion.

Looks like Yahtzee will get his wish, though, of getting to see Nate Drake try and wisecrack his way out of an encounter with the Ghost of Sparta.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
how the heck do you balance for Kratos
The same way you balance for the various demons, gods, sorcerers, mutants, martial arts masters and Viewtiful Joe in MvC3.

Speaking of MvC3, next year there must be a Capcom crossover with this.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
I think the real question here is: How the heck do you balance for Parappa the Rapper? That doggie would own any demon, commando, demi-god or gunslinger imaginable if taken off the leash.

I also just want to say that if "Kick ? Punch ? Chop - Block" isn't a combo of his, then I'm out.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can appreciate Smash Bros for it's use of iconic Nintendo characters. This, however, carries absolutely no such cache with me. I doubt it will be a solid straight up fighter and it certainly doesn't grab me for it's cast so I suppose I'm just not within the target audience.

Oh, and the name sucks too. :)

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Anyone else betting this will be Awful? Most of the Smash Bros styled clones usually are, Onimusha should have proven that point beyond a doubt.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
My question is does Sony own all these characters. I know they publish games, but I don't think the develop them.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
WanderingFool said:
So... who the fuck is Parappa the Rapper, and why should I give a damn?
Crank up ya speakers, and be enlightened. You're welcome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZcV1UuUzI

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
PARAPPA THE RAPPER?!?!?!?! Finally! Dred Foxx gets work again! Unless they changed the voice actor, then I'd be kind of really fucking pissed.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Parappa alone may have just sold me this game. May have...I havne't bought a PS3 game in a few years. Let's wait for a trailer then before I put my money where Sony's mouth is [sub]or however the Hell that saying goes[/sub]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Easily. Kratos is pretty much just a mook with enhanced physical abillities and a variety of weapons. Consider that when you play the game it's possible for him to get taken down by *fairly* ordinary stuff. If you succeed at the game he fights gods and epic heroes and such, but every one of those characters actually has him as an underdog, and will bounce many players off walls again and again as they learn it.... of course the same can be said of other video game characters.

You should tend to think of him fighting other game heroes and villains as the equivilent of him fighting one of his own bosses (many of whom were heroes), it's a craps shoot, with everyone he's up against bringing their own gimmicks to the table.

That said, I have mixed opinions about sily characters like Parappa The Rapper in games like this. It onlt works for "Smash Brothers" because the serious characters are actually the odd ones out. In this game it seems to be the opposite.

Silly characters are a long standing tradition, don't get me wrong, I just don't care for it.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010

I'll probably pick this up. I'm a sucker for fighting games. Ditto that if they're crossovers.

Also, Sackboy will CLEARLY be broken. How do you beat someone who, in creation mode, can stop time, and generate a mountain with a single button press?