The Best Black Friday Deals May be at Home

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
The Best Black Friday Deals May be at Home

With retail chains offering mostly unremarkable sales for videogame shoppers, Microsoft and Sony cut prices on their online titles.

The day after Thanksgiving: Black Friday [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)]. For some, a glorious celebration of American consumerism at her most gluttonous. For others, a day in which they don their blue vests and name tags, kiss their family goodbye and pray that eventually, they can come home, lick their wounds and enjoy leftover turkey sandwiches. Madness reigns supreme on Black Friday, pitting soccer moms against hockey moms as they do away with maternal instincts, throwing their spawn like lawn darts across a sea of rabid, sweat pant clad oblongs, all in the name of a 40" Plasma TV at fifty percent off.

Fortunately for you, to get the best of deals this Black Friday you may not even have to leave the house. That is, of course, if all you're looking for are videogame sales.

The floundering retail industry is preparing to go best of Black Friday [http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/26/news/economy/blackfriday_walkup/] doesn't turn up much, so unless you're interested in picking up a brand new console, you may not want to risk your life out there in hopes of great gaming deals.

Microsoft and Sony, on the other hand, may have the right idea. Both of the industry giants have slashed prices on their online content. Starting with Sony [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/11/25/playstation-store-update-62/], PlayStation 3 owners can pick up three of Sony's acclaimed original titles, The Last Guy, Pixeljunk Eden and echochrome for $4.99 until December 4. Also on their list of discounts are arcade shooters Novastrike and Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3, both of which are also $4.99 as well.

Microsoft Points converter [http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/11/26/xbox-live-marketplace-black-friday-sale.aspx] for exact pricing.

For everything else Black Friday, we wish you good luck. Don't forget to check the ad sites [http://www.blackfriday.info/] and plan accordingly.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Ah Black Friday. Who needs to hire a propeganda team when days like these can quite adequately show the moronic effect of consumerism on people? :)

Feb 13, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Ah Black Friday. Who needs to hire a propeganda team when days like these can quite adequately show the moronic effect of consumerism on people? :)
I'm more worried about the 'accidental' deaths that are likely to be caused.

Oh and hold on, but isn't this a 'black' reference in American culture that is seen as positive?

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Cousin_IT said:
I'm more worried about the 'accidental' deaths that are likely to be caused.

Oh and hold on, but isn't this a 'black' reference in American culture that is seen as positive?
Coincidence, like the Black Wall in Washington DC.
Well I know that it technically means black as in 'in the money' but it's interesting anyway.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
"Why's it gotta be black friday? What, you white boys too good for Fridays anymore!?"

Heh.

Anyway, what's this "black friday" thing all about? *wikis* Ah, I see, it's basically an excuse to have a needlessly consumer obsessed day just before Christmas.

Ah, capitalism *wipes tear from eye*

Feb 13, 2008
Well, reading up on it, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving where retailers garn a heavy profit (being 'in the black' on their credit).

Similar idea to our January sales I believe.

Sasha Janre

Apr 30, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Well, reading up on it, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving where retailers garn a heavy profit (being 'in the black' on their credit).

Similar idea to our January sales I believe.
Or those of us up here in Canadia and our Boxing Day.

Guh. Not looking forward to that this year. ~_~

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Maybe next year have a 1% tax on all Black Friday profits to cover medical bills and possibly funerals of those injured and killed while shopping or just vaguely near a store on the day.

OR pass a law that ensures extra security in store, and make those fuckers QUEUE like evolved people, and let in 10 at a time at 30 second intervals, that way at least all the violence and murder happens outside the store.

Or give em all deli tickets and let them in by calling out random numbers.

Fuck em, if people can't act even vaguely like civil human beings, they shouldn't get to buy anything.

Against my better judgement I read that article about the guy shopping with his grandson, getting his face smashed into the concrete by 'overenthusiastic' police officers, and to be honest, it just depressed me. At least no-one's died this year, but, it's still gonna take some real good news to counter that.