GameStop Goes Big on PC Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Goes Big on PC Games

GameStop is "massively expanding" its in-store selection of downloadable PC games.

Curious how a retailer can increase its offerings of in-store, downloadable games? It works like this: You go into your local GameStop, browse through a selection of "focus titles" represented by internally-produced faux-DVD cases [or just tell the guy at the counter what you want] and then, having made your selection, you hand over the dough. In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

GameStop now has more than 1500 PC titles for sale at its GameStop stores across the U.S., which is says represents "one of the most extensive collections of PC games available at retail." You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com [http://www.gamestop.com], of course, but the in-store setup allows gamers to make digital purchases with cash, gift cards and trade-in credits.

The huge selection of games, combined with GameStop's pervasive retail presence - like it or not, GameStop is a huge operation, with 4400 stores across the U.S. - might just give it the muscle it needs to slug with Hearts of Iron III: Dies Irae Gotterdammerung [http://store.steampowered.com], anyone? - is a pretty huge deal.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
GameStop now has more than 1500 PC titles for sale at its GameStop stores across the U.S., which is says represents "one of the most extensive collections of PC games available at retail." You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com [http://www.gamestop.com], of course, but the in-store setup allows gamers to make digital purchases with cash, gift cards and trade-in credits.
By titles do they mean number of WoW, Star Craft 1, Warcraft and Sims box sets, while counting the expansions in each box set as separate titles?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Sorry, but is this an advertisement for gamestop masquerading as news?
I thought the same thing but not with this thread, but with the one about Amazon selling Mass Effect for 30 bucks. I suppose this topic proves they're not really siding with a company but just posting things that might be relevant to gamers...

And I'm not being paid to make them look good either. I know that sounded like an ad... :l

OT: GameStop has been selling such games for a while now. But I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to make it to the news the first day they did this.

Akisa said:
Andy Chalk said:
By titles do they mean number of WoW, Star Craft 1, Warcraft and Sims box sets, while counting the expansions in each box set as separate titles?
I know what you're thinking of. You're thinking of the in-store selection of DISC based PC games. Those are pretty weak, I must admit. But this article is about digital downloads. So you go to the counter, you ask for a copy of Plants vs. Zombies for the PC, you give them cash and you get the code and instructions.

You can even ask for a list of all the games available for download.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
At least you cannot resell a digital game (although knowing Gamestop they will think of a way).

I hope this will kill their second hand resale rip-off market.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Im glad GameStop is trying to pick their clothes up off the floor. PC gaming is growing, and they need to accommodate that. And 1500 pc titles is a bit more then i would have guessed.

And i wont lie, the prices are pretty good. Not as good as 70% off steam sales, but still pretty decent.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

[...]

You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com [http://www.gamestop.com], of course
I am missing the part where I have any motivation to go to the store in the first place rather than the website. Basically this new service enables me to purchase digital downloads of PC games, just like I've already been doing for years, only in a less convenient, more time-consuming way? Awesome! Where do I sign up?

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Matthew94 said:
I thought the same thing but not with this thread, but with the one about Amazon selling Mass Effect for 30 bucks. I suppose this topic proves they're not really siding with a company but just posting things that might be relevant to gamers...

And I'm not being paid to make them look good either. I know that sounded like an ad... :l

OT: GameStop has been selling such games for a while now. But I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to make it to the news the first day they did this.

Akisa said:
Andy Chalk said:
I know what you're thinking of. You're thinking of the in-store selection of DISC based PC games. Those are pretty weak, I must admit. But this article is about digital downloads. So you go to the counter, you ask for a copy of Plants vs. Zombies for the PC, you give them cash and you get the code and instructions.

Does that mean you can sell your used downloads back? ;p
But are you going to be tied to a gamestop anyway or shape or form doesn't sit well with me.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Akisa said:
Beautiful End said:
Matthew94 said:

Akisa said:
Andy Chalk said:

Does that mean you can sell your used downloads back? ;p
But are you going to be tied to a gamestop anyway or shape or form doesn't sit well with me.
No...you get 30% more when you trade in your used codes towards the pre-order of another code. Dx

Well, I guess it's a good choice if, like the article said, you have cash and you want a PC game and you don't have Steam or whatever. But at the same time, PC gamers usually avoid GameStop because of their poor disc-based PC games selection. So I see what GameStop is doing there...

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
If they're gonna devote shelf space to these fake boxes, why not... I donno, have real ones?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Problem is that most PC gamers abandoned GameStop as a waste of time years ago. They haven't carried jack squat for ages, I think PC gamers have already migrated to fairer climes. It would take those alternative sources pissing the gamers off in addition to this for gamers to come back.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
They're also offering massive "discounts" on a bunch of them for Rewards members through May, as much as 75% off.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Well, they did spend lots of money getting Stardock's digital distribution platform from them (forgot what it's called), so it figures they're making use of it. It'll probably be way more profitable for them than the actual PC box sales, too. Too bad I'm never going to use it because GameStop has such miserable business practices.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Cool I guess, but what's the point of going IN STORE to get a redemption code for a game you download? The store is once again, the middle man.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JenSeven said:
At least you cannot resell a digital game (although knowing Gamestop they will think of a way).

PC gaming isn't exactly known for it's second-hand market.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So let me get this straight, Gamestop wants us to go down to their store a buy a download which we could easily do from home from a selection Digital Download sites. Nice try Gamestop but no.

captcha

good night

well said captcha

Omnipro

Ha Ha I Have A Custom Title
Jul 15, 2008
Only reason to go the Gamestop instead of buying online is you can trade in games quickly in store and get credit to buy new games by digital download.
You can get more money selling your games on Ebay, but will take longer to get your cash.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JenSeven said:

You get that bullet out of your foot yet?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Andy Chalk said:
In return, you'll get a receipt with a unique redemption code and instructions on what to do with it, which pretty much boils down to a trip to GameStop's website. Enter the code and, pow! The game is yours!

[...]

You can save yourself a trip to the mall by just going straight to GameStop.com [http://www.gamestop.com], of course
I am missing the part where I have any motivation to go to the store in the first place rather than the website. Basically this new service enables me to purchase digital downloads of PC games, just like I've already been doing for years, only in a less convenient, more time-consuming way? Awesome! Where do I sign up?
Well, it's for people who don't want to store their credit card on Gamestops site. It is the same as buying cards for Live and PSN.