How D&D Next Is Shaping Up

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How D&D Next Is Shaping Up

The design team of the next Dungeons & Dragons explains the process.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It sounds like they are changing DM rules to be exactly how many people tend to DM anyway. I know very few DM's who don't free-ball DC's for stuff all the time. I know I do all the time and it seems to work out fine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The real question is what does 1d4chan think of the next D&D. They are powered by rage so chances are they will hate it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I got scared off D&D by all the stuff you have to do just to get anything done but I have to admit this sounds a lot more like how I always thought D&D should be. When it comes out I might try to get some friends together :D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Not quite sure what I think about this. As a new guy to DND, I was actually comforted by 4E's specific rules, and if I didn't like them, I could just chuck them out the window (like I did for certain Ritual times). It sounds like they're trying to encourage winging it, which is good for experienced DMs but for new people will be overwhelming.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
scotth266 said:
Not quite sure what I think about this. As a new guy to DND, I was actually comforted by 4E's specific rules, and if I didn't like them, I could just chuck them out the window (like I did for certain Ritual times). It sounds like they're trying to encourage winging it, which is good for experienced DMs but for new people will be overwhelming.
I don't see the winging part as much. Yes, they are relaxing the rigidity a bit, but theysaid that there will still be guidelines on DCs for checks. One problem I had with 4e (which I played and DM'd from release to last year) was that while skills (and just about every other d20 roll) increased every level, but so did the DC.

As for the specifics vs homebrew, look at the DnDNext page. The looks of it is that there will be a set of rules with a large amount of customization to the rules available.

Also, playtest May 24th.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Huh. 5th Ed sounds... interesting.

Well, I'll give it a looksie when it comes out. See how it stands up to Pathfinder.

Although, I was confused by one thing. When I (as a DM) charm a PC, I say "make a Will save". If that PC has specific bonuses (like the +2 to Ench mentioned in the article) they usually say "against what school?" And I say "Enchantment" - to which they say "fuck" and also "I have a +2 bonus to that, so..." and then they add up whatever they rolled.

How would a PC not KNOW they are Charmed? They have to roll a Will save (or in 4th Ed, the GM would roll the charm attack, but would still need to know their Will Defense).

Or, if the DM was doing secret rolls for certain effects (to create more mystery) against a chart of all the PC's Defense numbers, then wouldn't it be the DM's job to have that +2 vs Ench written down?

Anyway, I just thought that was a very strange example. I have never had that be a problem in games.

When they were talking about "feel-bad abilities" I assumed they were talking about abilities that removed a player from combat (like Hold person) effectively making them sit quietly for 30 minutes while everyone else has fun without them. THOSE are abilities I'd like to see looked at - sending someone below 0 HP is one thing, or even making them attack the nearest target or themselves while confused still has them participating, but things that entirely prevent a player from playing for an extended period of time just seem to detract from the game.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
All I have to say is, about time.

I tired of the players who will insist that the book ruling is set in stone and the DM isn't the god of his own little universe. Too much Rigid rules = no fun

DarthVella

Oct 13, 2011
I was once invited to a D&D session. Before I could make my mind up whether to play or to run away, angry, scared and confused like a demented wolf that had it's tail ripped off by a Hills Hoist, the invite faded away. Apparently D&D was hard enough to set up, let alone play. So if they're simplifying the rules or at least giving the players more freedom of choice where the rules are concerned, I'm fine with that.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I was gonna post something about Pathfinder but I forgot. I cant think about anything than Diablo 3. Fuck I want Diablo 3. :|

Astroturf

Apr 27, 2012
I feel obligated to remind everyone that Greg Tito has a vested interest in talking down 4e and D&D Next because he's pushing a competing product.

Journalistic integrity (in the games industry at least) is pretty much nil, but it's something people ought to know when reading anything related to D&D from him.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
darksakul said:

I tired of the players who will insist that the book ruling is set in stone and the DM isn't the god of his own little universe. Too much Rigid rules = no fun
I would temper that by saying there needs to be balance though. If there is one thing that's worse then a DM/players that never breaks from rules it's a DM that never adheres to them. Rules and rulings give the world structure and should be relied on to be consistent and fair.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Hm, I think I'll be looking into this one a bit deeper than I did 4th edition. I may actually leave behind all trappings of 2nd edition this time around.
I'm never going back to hitpoints, though. I made the Star Wars vitality/wound system work with D&D, and I'm sticking with it. Homebrew for life and whatnot.

captchasolve: goody gumdrop. We'll see.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Astroturf said:
I feel obligated to remind everyone that Greg Tito has a vested interest in talking down 4e and D&D Next because he's pushing a competing product.

Journalistic integrity (in the games industry at least) is pretty much nil, but it's something people ought to know when reading anything related to D&D from him.
Hey Astroturf,

I am about as far from "talking down 4e and D&D Next" as one could possible get. I've written material for 4th edition for WotC and Goodman Games and played in many 4th edition campaigns, in addition to contributing to the Adventurer Conqueror King System. It's true that my tastes have shifted so that 4th is no longer my preferred game, and I feel ignoring my opinion wouldn't give me any more "integrity".

I don't see ACKS as a competing product. There's just no way for a small publishing company like Autarch to draw anywhere near the sales and brand recognition of D&D and Pathfinder. Also, there have always been different RPG systems in the marketplace which enrich the total tabletop landscape without competing for customers.

As I stated in my series on the current state of the RPG industry, a healthy D&D makes for a healthy industry. In other words, the success of the new edition of D&D will hopefully trickle down to the smaller houses, like it did with the launch of third edition in 2000.

I don't know how you interpreted the article above as "talking down" but I hope this message is completely clear: I am rooting heavily for D&D Next to be as awesome as Mike Mearls and his team can make it.

Greg

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Abandon Tokienian fantasy, and profit.

My game I run every friday now, is in a non Tolkien world. And I have not looked back. It is so refreshing to play a zebra-taur, an otyugh or a boggard instead of an elf, halfling or dwarf. To just copy paste common fantasy tropes is lazy, as lazy as copy pasting cultures. You can't claim real originality easily if all you do is regurgitate the old, and what is expected. Take out the old, add in new monsters and cultures and go from there, if you want your setting to be new, look to some sci fi for inspiration.

Homebrew for life ioc. There is so much that can be done, and done well.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
(...)we can teach DMs(...)
Oh for f*cks sake, stop trying to teach us how to play RPGs. We know it already, some of us are in business longer than half of your staff. How about giving us something to play with instead ? How about official campaigns and adventures that are something better than sets of tactical encounters ?

>:|

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
When they were talking about "feel-bad abilities" I assumed they were talking about abilities that removed a player from combat (like Hold person) effectively making them sit quietly for 30 minutes while everyone else has fun without them. THOSE are abilities I'd like to see looked at - sending someone below 0 HP is one thing, or even making them attack the nearest target or themselves while confused still has them participating, but things that entirely prevent a player from playing for an extended period of time just seem to detract from the game.
I completely agree. Even "charm person" or "dominate person"[footnote]sometimes[/footnote] can be fun if the players get into it, but Hold Person and other complete lockdowns are no fun.

I do see where they're coming from a bit though - having too many little bonuses makes things hard to keep track of, and so that should be reduced. However, most of my players ask the same types of questions yours do:
DM said:
Everyone make a will save.
Bobby the Paladin said:
Is it a fear effect?
Erin the Elf said:
Is it an enchantment effect?
and the DM responds with either this or that:
Cryptic DM said:
I remember your bonuses. *evil grin* roll your dice.
Nice DM said:
Yes, it's a fear effect. Bobby, you're golden.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
I ran one DnD campaign before(it ended when my player's decided they would rather kill the good dragon and hole up in his castle than save the world from the apocalypse.), but every time after that I try to get into it, it just takes way too long to get everything set up. It practically takes an entire session just to get character's set up a lot of the time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a game with a lot simpler setup than DnD?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
darksakul said:

So make it clear from the get-go? My players tend to know I improvise a lot and they're fine with it.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
upgray3dd said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a game with a lot simpler setup than DnD?
I take it we're talking about fantasy setting, right ?
- Pathfinder
- Earthdawn

There are also a lot of simpler systems, for example :
- Risus
- The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen
They aren't richly detailed or supported but they have an advantage of being capable of switching form "preparation" to "playing" phase in the matter of seconds. ;]

Edit : You may also try to simply prepare some characters by yourself and ask gamers to play with them instead of wasting time for dice rolling. Works miracles if properly done.