PlayStation All-Stars Looks Smashingly Familiar

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PlayStation All-Stars Looks Smashingly Familiar

Now you can smash stuff with your bros while playing as Kratos and Sweet Tooth.

Earlier this week, we caught a teasing glimpse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116896-PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle-Royale-All-But-Announced] of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sony's multiplayer crossover brawler answer to Nintendo's popular Super Smash Bros. Today, the PlayStation Blog formally unveiled the game.

As it turns out, PlayStation All-Stars doesn't so much appear to be an "answer" to Super Smash Bros as it appears to be "the exact same game." Seriously, if you hadn't told me that this footage had come from PS All-Stars, my first thought would have been "Oh hey, PaRappa's in the next Smash Bros? Sweet."

In all fairness to Sony, copying other good ideas that competitors have has been the way of the industry since the dawn of Pong, and Sony's only real problem here is how subtle they've utterly failed to be.

Developer SuperBot Entertainment does seem enthusiastic about the idea, too - in the reveal trailer, we hear from the game's director Omar Kendall, who discusses the ways that different PlayStation universes interact in this game. While we'd all expect Kratos and Sweet Tooth to know how to throw down, how would characters like PaRappa and Fat Princess fight? (The answer: With his kung-fu training from Chop Chop Master Onion and her love of cake, respectively).

The confirmed roster thus far includes the aforementioned Kratos, Sweet Tooth, PaRappa, and Fat Princess as well as Sly Cooper (the Thievius Raccoonus) and Colonel Radec from Killzone. One can only imagine that the likes of Nathan Drake and Ratchet (and Clank?) are likely to join the fray as well.

Sony's first-party lineup may not be as iconic as Nintendo's, but the PS1 and PS2 libraries are some of the most legendary of all time, so there's no shortage of characters from which SuperBot Entertainment can pull. How about Wander from Shadow of the Colossus, or the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy? That Royal Rainbow attack would be way OP.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
If it's a good game sounds like a lot of fun, loved Smash Brothers, don't have a Nintendo.

And in some ways it's going to be interesting just because the Sony character roster are even more of a weird fit than with Nintendo. Mario and Pokemon go together. Nathan Drake and this game are already a full stop weird mix. Nathan Drake and Kratos?!

Looking forward to it. Local multiplayer games are always welcome anyway

Sackboy better show :D

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sony copying nintendo, will wonders never cease, seems like they do allot of that.

It really looks like a smash brothers mod, I mean even the levels look like ones from smash brothers.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i see one glaring issue already.

it lacks Smash Bros charm.

watching it on the video it just seems so bland. not a good sign imo

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay, this does look cool, even if it is a knock off of Smash Bros. Then again, everyone knocks off Nintendo so not much surprise (Hello Xbox Avatars, no we haven't forgotten what a blatant rip off of Miis you are).

Well, whatever. Some great games have been copies, and I hope this game also turns out great. I would sort out the title though, as it could be better. Maybe just "Playstation All Stars" and reserve "Battle Royale" for a potential sequel?

As for characters, I want Snake, just to be really weird to have Snake appear in both mash-ups. Also Final Fantasy characters. You can NOT do this without putting in a Final Fantasy characters, and Sephiroth is going to be the one people will want, and the one that I can see being MAD OP (That is a long blade).

Also, put some Digimon in there. Seriously, Digimon World was exclusive to PS1, and the new Digimon World (One I hope Bandai will localise) is coming exclusively to PSP! Go on! An Agumon here or a Guilmon there wouldn't hurt.

Calumon: What about me?

Jack: When it's a cream puff that glows and flies and it's going against a clown that's the size of a minivan with flaming hair, I would go with a clown.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I was pretty much hoping it would be a Smash Brothers clone rather than a serious arcade-style fighting game. I'm looking forward to this.

Sep 14, 2009
DustyDrB said:
I was pretty much hoping it would be a Smash Brothers clone rather than a serious arcade-style fighting game. I'm looking forward to this.
exactly

I just hope they pull in some big characters that people will actually know, rather than cheap out with some 3rd party ones that people have never heard/seen outside of that japanese cafe on 3rd street in tokyo.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm sure every Nintendo fanboy is angry about this claiming they invented cross over fighting games just like Nintendo 'invented the analog stick'.

We'll just not mention King of Fighters or every system before the 64 here.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Oooooooooh boy...

The nintendo fanboys will be out in full force soon.

"SONY STOLE OUR GAME. IT'S THE EXACT SAME THING AS SMASH BROTHERS!"

Yeah. It is. Personally, I'm kind of sick of smash brothers at this point and I think we needed some new characters anyway.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Needs Jak, Ratchet and at least one strain of Chimera.

Balance? If theyre copying SSB in style then balance is at the bottom of the priority list.

DVS BSTrD said:
I can imagine that fan backlash would be quite infamous if they didn't include Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. Hey, Sony Published it!
Sony only handled the North America and PAL regions, everywhere else was done by Square themselves.

They might get permission from Squeenix though, tims shall tell.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sony's motto must be "If you can't beat'em, join'em blatantly rip them off and hold up both middle fingers with pride because you honestly don't give 2 shits and a fuck if people say you're plagiarizing a competitor."

Pretty long motto, but apparently it's accurate. :p

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
So...

First Sony copies the Wiimote...

...then they come out with a peripheral that looks suspiciously like the Wii Zapper...

...now this.

I think if we don't see some kind of Nintendo-Sony collab soon, I will be VERY surprised.

EDITKINESIS ALPHA: And no, I don't mean the kind of debacle where Nintendo dumped Sony during the proposed creation of a CD-based system for Nintendo...thus giving rise to the PS1.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
I loved all three of the Smash Bros games. I was hoping it would turn out like this instead of playing like an average cross fighter -- SFxTekken and MVC3. Four players on screen and free-form movement? Bring it on!

It looks really similar to SSBB but I wouldn't call it a rip-off. This is just iterating on a recent style of fighting games. I know Sackboy will be on there; so here's who I'd like to see.

Sora, Riku, Kairi
Talwyn Applegee
Chloe Frazer
Ico & Yorda

I'll pre-order this as soon as the release date is revealed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Still no Harry Mason vs. James Sunderland aboard a flying saucer?

Lame!

Anyway, the characters onscreen don't feel distinct enough for a brawler; From far away they practically look like black silhouettes. I've never been a fan of Smash Brothers Brawl, but atleast that felt like some effort was put into it. This Playstation All-Star game looks tremendously half-assed.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
gigastar said:
Needs Jak, Ratchet and at least one strain of Chimera.

Balance? If theyre copying SSB in style then balance is at the bottom of the priority list.

DVS BSTrD said:
I can imagine that fan backlash would be quite infamous if they didn't include Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7. Hey, Sony Published it!
Sony only handled the North America and PAL regions, everywhere else was done by Square themselves.

They might get permission from Squeenix though, tims shall tell.
Closest we'll ever get to a re-release :(
That and the Kingdom Hearts crossovers.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, it's a Smash Bros knockoff. But after the dozens of CoD knockoffs this generation, this is still a breath of fresh air. Plus, Sony does have a good enough roster to make a good game. And like Smash Bros before it, it can get people interested in properties they might not have thought about before.