Angry Birds Space Snags 50 Million Monthly Downloads

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Angry Birds Space Snags 50 Million Monthly Downloads

Rovio's latest Angry Birds has slingshotted itself into the position of the fastest-growing mobile game ever.

People really can't get enough of Rovio's ill-tempered avians. Today, the mobile game giant announced that its latest iteration of the popular Angry Birds series has been download 50 million times across all available platforms - iOS, Android, PC and Mac - in the 35 days since its release. Not only is this a personal best for Rovio, it also makes Angry Birds Space the fastest-selling mobile game of all time.

"We extend our deepest gratitude to all fans of Angry Birds everywhere," reads a statement posted on the Rovio blog [http://www.rovio.com/en/news/blog/158/angry-birds-space-becomes-the-fastest-growing-mobile-game]. "While numbers like this certainly say something about the popularity of Angry Birds, for us the main goal is to keep creating fun new experiences that everybody can enjoy!"

It can be very tempting for core gamers to dismiss the success of games like Angry Birds, or to call them simplistic and uncreative. Watching the gameplay trailer for Space, however, makes it difficult to agree with that. I mean, it's like Super Mario Galaxy over there, only with particularly irate fowl.

Excuse me, I think I need to make that number "50 million and one."

(Rovio [http://www.rovio.com/en/news/blog/158/angry-birds-space-becomes-the-fastest-growing-mobile-game])

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
but what is their profit, when will their next non avian game be released? What Financially can be gleaned from it.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
I'm not surprised. Space is the best iteration of the Angry Birds games and is increadibly polished. Also as Raven mentioned above it's free so there's that.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I never got the hype surrounding Angry Birds, but found Angry Birds Space to be actually rather good. It's also a sensible evolution of the franchise.

So good on Rovio.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Hammeroj said:
This makes me wanna cry. How dare they make so much money.
i divert you to this

DRTJR said:
but what is their profit
downloads =/= profit in Angry Birds case cause its totally free far as i've ever seen

OT: meh, the first Angry Birds was just good, amusing for awhile but nothing I'd ever bring up playing

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Your front page tagline is misleading.
Angry Birds Space: 50 million DLs per month
Per month?
That suggests that the game has been released for several months and each month they have had 50,000,000 DLs. This is clearly not the case.

And there I was thinking that they had hit 1 billion DLs.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I've enjoyed Angry Birds Space. It was a nice evolution to the old formula and makes it quite fun.

Probably my only complaint is the absence of the White, Green, and Orange birds. Where the heck are they? The only reason I guess it that Rovio couldn't think of a way to implement their abilities in space. Not to mention the yellow bird (or rather purple now) can basically do what the green bird can in the other games. :/

agiganticpanda

Sep 10, 2008
This article seems to use downloads and selling interchangeably which the source doesn't claim. Bad news article is bad.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
And here was me thinking they were dying out. They've been to space now where else can they go?

Personally I don't like the new versions it alters too much, and I found the gravity system annoying.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
This goose has definitely laid a golden egg.
I love this guys little jokes.

Oh yes also does anyone know if it will be made free on apple software, I have an android but my brother has an iphone, and he loves angry birds.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
John Funk said:
It can be very tempting for core gamers to dismiss the success of games like Angry Birds, or to call them simplistic and uncreative. Watching the gameplay trailer for Space, however, makes it difficult to agree with that. I mean, it's like Super Mario Galaxy over there, only with particularly irate fowl.
That's what I was thinking. Super Mario Galaxy on the go, sans Mario, with different abilities? I could get behind that. Think I may have to go get this one.

10,000,000+ downloads, says the Android Market. Oh, if only they knew...