Multiplayer Graces God of War

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Multiplayer Graces God of War

Online warriors can massacre each other in God of War: Ascension.

In a twist that may make some fans just as angry as Kratos, the Greek pantheon will grant Sony's mythological gore-fest God of War: Ascension a multiplayer mode. While the series has been a strictly single-player affair up until this point, the upcoming prequel will feature team-based, competitive multiplayer with persistent character advancement. Details have only surfaced about one mode so far, but as one might expect, players will engage in bloody battles and slay helpless fantastical beasts in the most over-the-top ways imaginable.

The only mode detailed so far is called "Team Execution," which features, appropriately, two four-man teams doing their best to slaughter each other. As players draw closer to victory, they can manipulate an apparatus that keeps an enormous Cyclops enchained. The winners get the honor (and most likely, experience and/or currency) of killing the gargantuan beast. There will be other variations on this mode, and additional multiplayer modes hardly seem out of the question. Players can create either Trojan or Spartan soldiers for multiplayer, and swear allegiance to Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, or Ares. A character's setup and advancement will ultimately determine his role in combat.

While multiplayer represents a departure for the traditionally single-player, story-driven series, it's not necessarily an unprecedented move. The core combat in God of War seems strong enough to support multiple players, and a gradual level-up system is in perfect keeping with the upgrade system that has been in every game so far. Mass Effect 3 demonstrated that the addition of a multiplayer component to a single-player series can turn out well, so fans will have to wait and see for themselves when Ascension ships in Spring 2013. If nothing else, competitive multiplayer makes more sense than cooperative; Kratos doesn't exactly play nicely with others [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1595-God-of-War-III].

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/god-of-war-ascension-gets-multiplayer-6374181]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
even if it does turn out well.....like Mass effect 3

I still dont like it..WHY? because when a game is purely single player they are saying "THIS is what you are buying...THIS theoretically has to be up to standard..THIS is where all our time/rescources went"

I find it saddening that more often they dont think single player can carry a game alone..that kind of mentality is bullshit

and don't get me started on "replayability" when I play ME3 multi Im not playing "Mass effect" I'm playing a version of mass effects combat co operativly...sure I may pour hours into it..but its not Mass effect...and its certainly not replaying anything

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Can we officially declare God of War's milking-to-death phase to have begun now?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't know what it's gonna be like but, come on. Not every game needs multiplayer!

I'm not against multiplayer, but I really don't think that it improves every game, especially games that have already been established as singleplayer franchises like God of War, which incidentally has the same initials as another series that has had multiplayer since day one.

But hell, if I don't like it I could just not play it. It's still a trend that's happening more and more frequently, and the more franchises that add multiplayer, the more franchises that will add multiplayer. And for every developer that actually can balance both and make each worthwhile and fun in their own rights, there are plenty of developers who can't and end up crapping out subpar products that don't perform well in either.

But, who knows, maybe GoW's multiplayer will be friggin' awesome, we'll see.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Or they could... you know... allocate the resources needed to make a completely unnecessary multiplayer mode into the main part of the game. Next thing you know there is going to be light/dark side speech options

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh. I have nothing against games adding multiplayer if it's the sort of thing that makes sense based off of the single player aspects of the game. ME3 and the Assassins Creed games did this brilliantly. God of War, however, just doesn't have a solid enough combat engine to make any sort of competitive multiplayer make any sense. Then again, another GoW game given the already existing story arc doesn't make much sense either so what do I know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
I still dont like it..WHY? because when a game is purely single player they are saying "THIS is what you are buying...THIS theoretically has to be up to standard..THIS is where all our time/rescources went"
Indeed. And why exactly does God of War specifically need multiplayer?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Vault101 said:
Indeed. And why exactly does God of War specifically need multiplayer?
because... the kids thease days LOVE their multiplayer!...and the Idea of releasing games without seems to be an abtract concept for people

because multiplayer is better because its online so there for its better because your playing with other peopel so therefore its better and we created the reapers to wipe out all organic life so they dont create synthetcs that will wipe out all organic life....PERFECT SENSE

and don't tell me it isnt contagous..when theyre releaseing it for God of War thats telling you somthing

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm not going to write it off immediately, due to Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect 3's mulitplayer being very enjoyable when I didn't expect them to be any good, but it does seem rather odd for God Of War.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
...How? I mean, really, HOW?
Last time I checked, Kratos' move set was wildly flinging swords about in such a way that brutalized everything on the screen. With characters as ridiculously overpowered as Kratos, where orange and purple arcs are flying around, would you be able to have a good multiplayer? Probably not, assuming you're able to keep track of your character on a stage where 8 guys are rolling around and whussing their way to victory.
So, yeah, awesome, let's take time and money away from a solid single player component and put it into a multiplayer for what was once a decent single player game. That surely won't backfire, right?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Wow.
I guess Sony really needs to cram online pass onto every single game.
It's gotten to the point where it's starting to seem a little pathetic and very desperate.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
ME3 and the Assassins Creed games did this brilliantly.
I'm with this, in a way
mostly with those games because not only they made the MP itself good, but actually make some relative sense with the campaign
like, Assassin's Creed, aside from the storyline you play, does say it's a guild of assassins assassinating shit, so DM fit that
while in ME3 the MP made most sense because it fit with the overall theme of the full-scale war, say for example, it wouldn't have worked on ME2 or in ME

but that's just my opinion =P

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Zhukov said:
Can we officially declare God of War's milking-to-death phase to have begun now?
We've known that for a while.

Before he was a god, he was a man.

Yes, I know. I played the original. And no, it's not actually true. A demigod is a demigod no matter what he does. Although I think some cultures had gods being able to give up their power.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, because that's what God of War needs. Multiplayer. It's why the past God of War games have been poor sellers.

And how does the core combat lend itself to multiplayer? It's basically a shitload of insane combos that cover the screen followed by a neat-looking QTE finisher. Really doesn't scream "great multiplayer experience" to me.

But yeah, you NEED multiplayer to succeed these days. It's no single-player only games succeed anymore. Nope [http://games-review-it.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/The-Witcher-2.jpg], none [http://onlivefans.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/deus-ex-human-revolution-release.jpg]. At all [http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/6/3/9/6/450-p6j8my.jpg].

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Well at least they managed to make it through the main trilogy without cramming multiplayer into the equation. I think I'll have to pass on this installment at least until it drops to half-price. No point in spending the full $60 if I'm never going to touch an entire half of the game. (yes be shocked, I don't play multiplayer on anything other than MMOs)

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Awesome! I can't wait to play this for 15 minutes and then remember why I don't play the multiplayer componets of single player games.