Crytek Dev Backpedals on Used Games Hate

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Crytek Dev Backpedals on Used Games Hate

Apparently, blocking pre-owned games is no longer "awesome."

Crytek's director of creative development, Rasmus Hojengaard, seems to have had a change of heart regarding the current industry whipping boy, used games. Last week, he told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345749/crytek-awesome-next-gen-used-games-block-comments-werent-serious/] that if the rumor that next-gen consoles are to prevent players from playing used games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115490-Rumor-Next-Xbox-Will-Feature-Blu-ray-Anti-Used-Games-System] is true, then it would be "awesome" from a business perspective. He went on to add that it's "weird that [second-hand] is still allowed because it doesn't work like that in any other software industries, so it would be great if they could somehow fix that issue as well."

This of course has attracted the ire of the gaming public, who tend to be rather fond of their used games. Following some presumably less than kindhearted feedback from fans, Hojengaard has recanted. Today he issued the following clarification via CVG.

"My comment made in the interview released on the 24th of April, touching upon 'blocking sales of used games', was not intended to be taken seriously nor representative of the opinion of Crytek."

Despite the unpopularity of the position, numerous developers have come out against used-sales. Silicon Knights boss, Denis Dyack, claims the practice drives up prices [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116539-Silicon-Knights-Boss-Says-Used-Games-Drive-Up-Prices], industry veteran, David Braben (of Elite fame), claims it's killing off single player games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116391-Used-Game-Sales-Killing-Single-Player-Titles] and Volition developer, Jameson Durall, thinks console developers actively preventing the use of used games would be "fantastic." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115707-Volition-Dev-Vs-Pre-Owned-Games ]

What we're essentially witnessing here, gentle readers, is an enormous lovers' tiff between publishers and their longtime bed-partner, Gamestop. It's kind of funny really, in the same way that domestic disputes that haven't yet graduated into murder-suicides are grimly amusing. That is until the star-crossed lovers start fighting on the lawn, ruining your rosebushes and keeping you awake all night. Then it becomes rather irritating.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAH.ha ha ha ha

I really don't know what else to say

Cepitcha: Public Good <-mabye that said it for me

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
David Braben (of Elite fame), claims it's killing off single player games
After seeing the news that they're adding multiplayer to the next God of War, I am inclined to agree with at least this claim. Adding multiplayer gives an excuse to include an online pass, and thus fuck anyone who buys it used. Now excuse me while I go mow down some hapless npc's in Saints Row 2 until my eyes uncross from the nerd rage I'm currently experiencing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Are the still bitching about piracy, though? Despite selling 4.5 million copies of Crysis+Warehead on the PC?

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Can Crytek ever make a public statement without making a complete asses of themselves?

And I laughed my ass off on his "not to be taken seriously" comment.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Hey to all the publishers and developers, I will stop buying used games for ever...if you can make it to where purchasing a new game doesn't leave me feeling irresponsible because I spent 60 dollars on a single form of entertainment solely for myself. If you can make it to where I can afford to buy new games without breaking my wallet, I'll swear off used games...but until then, that's the only way I can get more than maybe a couple of games a year.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Most of the people I see bitching about the used games are the ones who haven't made a good game in a long time. You didn't make any money on your games because they were terrible, not because of used sales...

If anything, they should be grateful ANYONE bought their games at all. That's probably the only way they get played these days...through used sales...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Buretsu said:
David Braben (of Elite fame), claims it's killing off single player games
Riiiight. It's 'used games' that are killing off single player games, and not publishers realizing that they can lower costs and raise profits by creating a bare-bones multiplayer game rather than a decent singleplayer storyline...

That said, I had to Wiki this guy to figure out who the fuck he is, and I still don't know why anyone should give a shit about anything he says...

Denis Dyack, claims the practice drives up prices
Well, sure. Remove used game sales, and you can continue selling a game for full price YEARS after its release... and drive even more people towards piracy... Good job shooting yourself in the foot, games industry...
Actually sale prices on new copies of games are routinely lower than the used price.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Screamarie said:
Hey to all the publishers and developers, I will stop buying used games for ever...if you can make it to where purchasing a new game doesn't leave me feeling irresponsible because I spent 60 dollars on a single form of entertainment solely for myself. If you can make it to where I can afford to buy new games without breaking my wallet, I'll swear off used games...but until then, that's the only way I can get more than maybe a couple of games a year.
Hi, my name is Steam, and almost everyday I have a special and have the most wonderful seasonal sales!

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Screamarie said:
Hi, my name is Steam, and almost everyday I have a special and have the most wonderful seasonal sales!
I don't like playing games on my PC. Plus, my little laptop doesn't play games well, in fact the only PC games I have is portal and the Sims.

I bought my consoles with the understanding that when I put in a game I know the hardware is exactly what I need to play the software and because the controller is easier on my hands and wrists.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I buy 98% of my games new, but the thing that worries me about blocking used games is what happens if I want to borrow a game from a friend of mine? Or, more likely, he wants to borrow a game if mine? It's used, so if this tech comes true, tough luck for my friend. Then, what about a game that I want to buy, but it's no longer sold in stores? This rarely happens, but it does. I found The Legend of Zelda Collection for the GameCube used at Game Stop. Also, Call of Duty 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, both used. Those games are no longer available new, so would I just be out of luck then?

I get that devs would like a slice of the used market, but restricting my game to only one system? That seems like a bad way to go about it. What if my system breaks? I'm sure they'll have a way to transfer your game data via an internet connection, but what if I don't have one? There are just so many questions that no one seems to be asking about a system like this. If anything, it will mean I buy fewer games because I won't be able to try them out. What would happen to renting video games and services like GameFly?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
The reason I buy more games used is generally due to the rather shortness. 60 bucks for barely 6hrs of game time, is just heartbreaking. I don't care how pretty you make the game look it's horrible to behold. Even worse is the string of first day DLC,which adds more replay/playability to the game, that could/should have been included with the initial product. Actually that's probably why so many games do it. If someone does buy a game used they're going to shell out for that same DLC. So even if they get the game used for half price, they'll end up putting something in the dev's pockets. The only reason I can see the consumers getting behind the registering of titles, codes, etc is that it had some benefits. Kinda how EA/Bioware did the added content from playing those other games/demos.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Grey Carter said:
What we're essentially wistnessing here, gentle readers, is an enormous lovers' tiff between publishers and their longtime bed-partner, Gamestop. It's kind of funny really, in the same way that domestic disputes that haven't yet graduated into murder-suicides are grimly amusing. That is until the star-crossed lovers start fighting on the lawn, ruining your rosebushes and keeping you awake all night. Then it becomes rather irritating.
On the one hand, I like my used games. I like them as an option. Cutting them out seems pretty dogmatic, and likely to increase piracy rates. Either that or retailers are gonna have to look at their pricing structure 'cos I'm not paying full retail price for a great deal of new release titles.

On the other hand, fuck Gamestop. They're a cancerous tumour on the games industry and the faster they get replaced by something else the better.

Cutting off used games is liable to kill the longevity and attractiveness of your consoles.