Diablo III Brings Global Play to Battle.net

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Diablo III Brings Global Play to Battle.net

Aspiring international auction house tycoons may still be disappointed.

While 2010's StarCraft II was a tremendous commercial and critical success, one of the (many) complaints that hardcore PC gamers had with the game was that Blizzard's Battle.net service did not support fully international play. If you bought a North American copy of the game, you were playing with other people on the North American servers, period. Blizzard has announced that Diablo III will not be bound by the same restrictions and will let players adventure on any regional server they so chose - with a few caveats, mind you.

The crux of the matter, of course, is that Diablo III will (in)famously feature a real-money Auction House [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/9046-Diablo-IIIs-Auction-House] for players to buy and sell in-game loot. Quite understandably, Blizzard is wary of letting players become international in-game tycoons by buying items in one region and selling them in another (not to mention that it probably would be violating some laws somewhere).

So here's the skinny: While you will be able to switch to any of the game's three global regions - Europe, the Americas, or Asia - at any time before or after logging into Diablo III, your characters, items, and friends lists are server-specific and won't come with you. Ergo, no matter how badass your level 58 barbarian on the American server may be, if you want to play across the pond you're going to be starting from scratch. Since Diablo has always encouraged constant replay, this isn't as much of a pain as it might sound.

Furthermore, while your characters will be able to use the in-game Auction House in whatever region they call home, you'll be stuck using plain old in-game gold if you aren't playing in the region that corresponds to the location on your Battle.net account. If your B.net is registered to someplace in Taiwan and you're playing on the US servers, there'll be no real-money auctions for you!

Speaking of the real-money Auction House, Blizzard has updated its FAQ on the subject [http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information] with some more details about pricing, policies, and whether or not the developer will ever directly sell gear to players itself (hint: it won't).

The Diablo III solution is worlds better than the paltry limited cross-region play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111608-StarCraft-II-Finally-Gets-Some-Cross-Region-Play] Blizzard rolled out for StarCraft II, and one can only hope that the PC giant will be adding this functionality to the sci-fi RTS either in a patch or with the release of Heart of the Swarm. That is, provided the developers include an option to opt out from being totally destroyed at the hands of somebody playing from Seoul.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Isn't that how it worked in Diablo II (and presumably the original) anyway?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
My friend is all excited about how he's going to 'play' the system, since he's into stock trading

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
15% and $1 per item is a pretty large cut to be taking. I'm really thinking people will just move straight back to the 3rd party services again. You know, the ones that don't have needlessly inflated prices.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
antipunt said:
My friend is all excited about how he's going to 'play' the system, since he's into stock trading
Dude dude dude... I am going to farm so many SoJs and sell them to tryhard Koreans for big cash, then bring that cash to the NA servers, buy SoJs and then keep on selling em to Koreans. Dude, I am going to have SO much bank, you don't even know. By the way, do you wanna go to that club on friday? There's gonna be so many hotties! We'll do so many shots with my SoJ money!

...Sorry... I worked with a guy that was so many bad stereotypes in one, and he was super stoked about the realm money auction house too =|

Aeshi said:
Isn't that how it worked in Diablo II (and presumably the original) anyway?
This is pretty much exactly how D2 worked, just bigger and better.
I am really ok with that, because I loved how the D2 servers worked. I know some people are going to complain "but I wanna bring my Monk over to the EU servers and play with them! Why can't this game be like WoW?!" because it isn't, has never been, and never will be, like WoW.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
That actually how it worked with every single Battle.Net game, except for SCII.
And that's part of the reason why Battle.Net 0.2 sucks a lot in SC2.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
antipunt said:
From the way I understand it from reading the article, you can't take anything from between servers So I don't think you could do that.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Spud of Doom said:
15% and $1 per item is a pretty large cut to be taking. I'm really thinking people will just move straight back to the 3rd party services again. You know, the ones that don't have needlessly inflated prices.
Yeah I figured they would go with like a 5% cut. Though that being said If they offer an easy in game option, my guess is that most people will use it anyways and pay for the convenience and security.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm not sure I understand the real-money auction system. If Blizzard doesn't sell anything directly, then won't the players be making the real money profits, not the company? Do they have some sort of tax then?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Hammeroj said:
dyre said:
I'm not sure I understand the real-money auction system. If Blizzard doesn't sell anything directly, then won't the players be making the real money profits, not the company? Do they have some sort of tax then?
Apparently, the listing fee on the auction house is 1 dollar, which is friggin' insane, and then they take 15% off of the total price when the item is sold. Saw this in another thread and not some official statement, so take that for all its worth, but Blizzard are way beyond greedy enough for me to believe it.

Blizzard will be making very real money with this thing (That's the only reason they're doing it. If you think otherwise, you're wrong.), and they've gone the extra mile to ensure that people don't fuck around with small prices. One dollar listing fee on top of an already egregious 15% cut off of every item, man, this is golden.
It's one dollar for weapons or 15% for stackable Items. I honestly think 15% across the board would be better, but I have no plan on using it so I guess it doesn't matter.

Apr 28, 2008
Isn't starting a new character the reason they gave for not including an offline single-player mode?

So if that is apparently no longer an issue, since they're allowing it here, can't they put in an offline single-player mode?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Irridium said:
Isn't starting a new character the reason they gave for not including an offline single-player mode?

So if that is apparently no longer an issue, since they're allowing it here, can't they put in an offline single-player mode?
the reason they don't want a single player mode is that they want everyone to use the real money auction house, so they make more money. Whatever other reason they may tell you, there a business, there reason for everything comes back to "it'll make us more money".

Here's a video the EC guys did on the topic,

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-diablo-iii-marketplace