EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
EA Manager Calls Black Ops Brand "Tired"

Begun the PR war has.

It's that time of year again, folks. Another Call of Duty game is on its way and, as tradition dictates, it's time for EA and Activision to have their annual slagging match. This year, EA has cast the first stone with a delightful tweet from global product manager Kevin O'Leary.

"Poor [Black Ops II], you look tired, you should take a year off and rest," he wrote. [https://twitter.com/#!/KevinJOLeary/status/197705835563065345]

Now if I were the unpleasant, sarcastic kind of journalist, I would now point out that someone working for Electronic Arts, a company which invented, refined and perfected the art of milking franchises into horrifying dried-out husks, criticising another company for doing exactly that is akin to Jeffery Dahmer calling someone out on their poor hospitality. A bit cheeky, if you catch my drift.

It remains to be seen if this season's clash of the publishers will be as exciting as last year's. During the run up to the showdown between Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3, both EA and Activision laid down some heavy zingers, pausing only to criticize each other for doing so [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112398-Activision-Not-Impressed-By-EAs-Name-Calling] before getting right back into it. It was hilarious, if a little sad.

Some argue that two of the industry's most notable publishers going at each other in the PR equivalent of a schoolyard brawl sets a poor example to other publishers, embarasses the industry as a whole and encourages the annoying "Us Vs. Them" argumentative nonsense that makes gaming forums unbearable. What these people fail to understand is that schoolyard brawls are awesome.

Source: GameIndustryBiz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-02-black-ops-2-should-take-a-rest-says-ea-product-manager]

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
The first shot has been fired. I'll go get the popcorn.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Dammit EA, there's nothing wrong with the Black Ops brand. Hell, there is no Black Ops brand: It's the Call of Duty brand you need to address! I eagerly await the rebuttal and in the meantime will daydream about the days of Sega and Nintendo's rivalry...if only the internet then was as it is now...

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
At this point, I'm beginning to think "is an asshole" is a necessary part of your resume if you want to rise up the ranks at EA.

I also wonder if "taking immature jabs at your rivals that most twelve year olds would roll their eyes at" is a proven marketing technique.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
EA shot first!

Well, they're one to talk, what with the following after CoD's steps with their shooting games and whatnot.
Also, I think he meant to say CoD franchise. Blops barely has one sequel that's not even out yet. You can't say it looks tired at this point.

Poor EA. They need troll classes.

...What's that? Banning people from playing their games? Wait, hold on...

Ok, never mind folks.

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
Ummm EA.....

This.

That is all.

Actually no. You may call CoD a tired Brand but what does that make you? A tired copy?

I don't actually like CoD, but this is rich comming from EA.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
I do have to say that both the new MoH and the new CoD have me mildly interested, interest which I am sure will die as soon as the first reviews hit.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sneezeguard said:
Ummm EA.....

This.

That is all.

Actually no. You make call CoD a tired Brand but what does that make you? A tired copy?

I don't actually like CoD, but this is rich comming from EA.
Damn, ninja'd so bad.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

In other words, both EA and Activision need to shut the fuck up, about everything, forever.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Oh boy not one page into the comments, already tingling with spewing irrational hatred and the joke flying right over their heads.

I hope this year of shooter wars has better zingers than last year.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I don't get his statement, is he trolling?

Black Ops came out 2 years ago, and this will only be the second one. Hell if one sequel was too much, we wouldn't have seen the likes of HL2, TF2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, Halo 2, Serious Sam 2, TES2: Daggerfall, I could probably go on.

cryogeist said:
I dont think EA can say much about CoD considering battlefield is the same thing every time as well.
I think the bigger irony here is the roster update sports games like FIFA and MADDEN owned by EA.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
...Am I the only one who read this as a pretty mild observation that Treyarch and Infinity Ward take alternate years to release a game? I mean, Black Ops did take a year off. The year MW3 came out instead of a new Blops.

Captcha is "Lose Face". Maybe my opinion will not be appreciated?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dyre said:
At this point, I'm beginning to think "is an asshole" is a necessary part of your resume if you want to rise up the ranks at EA.
Pretty sure that's true of any major game company.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
I don't get his statement, is he trolling?

Black Ops came out 2 years ago, and this will only be the second one. Hell if one sequel was too much, we wouldn't have seen the likes of HL2, TF2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, Halo 2, Serious Sam 2, TES2: Daggerfall, I could probably go on.

cryogeist said:
I think the bigger irony here is the roster update sports games like FIFA and MADDEN owned by EA.
well yeah there's that. but there's a lot more Call of Duty VS Battlefield out there than CoD V FiFa

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
LETS DO THIS!

EA is packin' heat! Can Activision rebuttal? Tune in next week! And prepare yourself for the ever so hyped follow up to the BF3-MW3 Clash of 2011! Coming soon....

BLOPS2 VS (Another-generic-FPS-by-EA-seriously-can-we-just-stop-this-is-bloody-ridiculous-both-companies-suck-ass-and-make-shitty-generic-sequels) Of 2012!!!!!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, this just looks like sour grapes because their COD clone failed. I mean, most of COD clones from Activision (anything after Modern Warfare) are tired, it's true. But that is the pot calling the kettle black. I'll use a more colorful euphemism, that is Stalin calling Hitler a murderer. Ha, yeah, that one is a bit more fun.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
I just pictured an Activision exec smiling and going "You mad bro?".

Being old doesn't matter to Activision, not making a profit matters to Activision, same goes for EA but I guess this manager didn't get the memo.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
dyre said:
Pretty sure that's true of any major game company.
Hmm, how about "is an asshole and doesn't try to hide it from the public at all" >_>