Splinter Cell Studio Expanding After $500 Million Investment

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Splinter Cell Studio Expanding After $500 Million Investment

Ubisoft giving Toronto studio a fourfold staff increase.

Ubisoft announced in 2010 that its Toronto studio will be a major hub [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100917-Ubisofts-New-Toronto-Studio-Takes-on-Splinter-Cell], with plans to have the studio manage the production of five AAA titles simultaneously. It is already hard at work on the next Splinter Cell and pitching in on Rainbow 6: Patriots. Toronto is obviously an important part of Ubisoft's strategy, but now we can see exactly how important.

According to an article published on Financial Post, Ubisoft is pumping $505 million CAD ($500 million USD) into its Toronto studio. Ubisoft isn't the only one investing in the studio, either. The government of Ontario is pumping $263 million CAD ($267 million USD) into the studio over 10 years. These investments will allow the studio to grow from 210 employees to 800 over the next decade.

While that may seem like a lot, the studio is still significantly smaller than Ubisoft's massive Montreal branch, where more than 2,000 people collect paychecks. Presumably, the growth will help the studio take on the remaining three projects it was built to oversee.

Source: Gamasutra [http://business.financialpost.com/2012/05/01/ubisoft-hopes-to-replicate-montreal-success-in-toronto/]

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
OOH new splinter cell? interested!

Rainbow six patriots looks amazing as well, except for the fact that it seems like I would be on the side of the terrorists...

I reckon this will be a good investment, there is not a single ubisoft TC game I have played and didn't love, which group is working on future soldier and GRO?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Interestingly, the guy in charge of setting up Eidos Montreal (DX: Human Revolution) said a number of them left Ubisoft Montreal because the studio became too big too quickly, and lost any sense of identity.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Awsome.

I loved Conviction to death. Hopefully they can make something that surpasses its predecessor.

Mar 5, 2011
Maybe we can get a good and sneaky Splinter Cell game. Conviction is a good game but it's not Splinter Cell. I want the same as Chaos Theory but more.

Jaeke said:
Awsome.

I loved Conviction to death. Hopefully they can make something that surpasses its predecessor.
Blasphemy! I bet you also like Diablo 3.

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Jaeke said:
Awsome.

Conviction was one of my favorites. The interrogations were amazing.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
I hope this next Splinter Cell is an actual Splinter Cell and not that cover-based shooter crap that was Conviction. Chaos Theory was just such a perfect game; make another one like it!

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
EXCELLENT, NOW MAKE MORE SPLINTER CELL!

And make it good. Conviction was pretty good, but this time they should really go back to the old style...

Big.Bad.Blowback

Mar 22, 2012
I like that companies are investing money into producing content in my home country but I am extremely bothered that the government of Ontario would pump so much money into one game studio. That money could be better used to help with all the bad schools in Toronto and the rest of the province. Even the more wealthy provinces should not be dropping so much into a single thing that is not actually creating that many jobs per dollar spent.