U.S. Judge Delays German Xbox Injunction

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.S. Judge Delays German Xbox Injunction

A U.S. judge says the lawsuit between Microsoft and Motorola is driven by "arrogance" and "hubris."

The legal dispute between Microsoft and Motorola, which is in the midst of being acquired by software giant Google, is getting ugly. The two companies have been locked in a battle over patent rights owned by Motorola and used in mainstream Microsoft products including the Xbox 360 and Windows 7 operating system; Microsoft alleges that Motorola is demanding unreasonable licensing fees for its patents on technologies that have become industry standards that could reach as much as $4 billion per year, while Motorola says Microsoft gave up its right to those patents on reasonable terms when it skipped the negotiation process and went straight to the courtroom.

Motorola scored big [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117047-Germany-Bans-the-Xbox-360] last week when a German court granted an injunction against the distribution of "key Microsoft products," including the Xbox 360, in Germany last week, but Microsoft landed a solid counterpunch yesterday when a U.S. judge declined to issue a ruling on motions filed by both Microsoft and Motorola, saying he needs more time to consider the arguments. That's good news for Microsoft because until the U.S. case is resolved, the injunction against Microsoft in Germany will not be enforced.

How can a U.S. court overrule a German ruling? That little twist, as explained by phoneArena [http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-wins-a-U.S.-restraining-order-against-Motorolas-German-injunction_id29059], comes thanks to a "procedural anomaly" in German law that requires any company winning an injunction against another to meet other requirements, which often includes the posting of a bond, before the injunction can be enforced. The U.S. court cannot override the German ruling but it can, and apparently did, issue a restraining order preventing Motorola from seeking enforcement of the injunction.

The judge chided both sides in the case for behaving badly, however, noting that both companies are "driven by an attempt to secure commercial advantage."

"The court is well aware it is being used as a pawn in a global, industry-wide business negotiation," Judge James Robart said at the end of the hearing. "To an outsider looking at it, it has been arbitrary, it has been arrogant and, frankly, it has been based on hubris." He added that the legal fees in the dispute "could finance a small country."

The case has far greater implications than simply whether or not Microsoft can sell its products in Germany. The U.S. International Trade Commission recently declared that Microsoft is infringing upon Motorola's patents and in August will decide whether or not to issue an injunction preventing Microsoft from importing Xbox consoles from China, where production costs are significantly lower than other parts of the world.

Source: Seattle Times [http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2018162163_microsoftmoto08.html?prmid=4939]

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
I'm sorry, but at first reading, the legal explanation made my brain evacuate to avoid the pain, but then the legal fees comments made me giggle, especially considering what's going on in the Eurozone right now. Wasn't aware Google was buying Motorola though, that's an interesting development.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
We want a small commercial advantage over another company, and we are determined to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to achieve it!

Solid business practice from the School of Copyright Assholery[small](Trademarked)[/small]

I find it weird that the U.S. somehow has a hand in this, but apparently it's Germany's fault for having convoluted laws, so fair play to them.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Korzack said:
Wasn't aware Google was buying Motorola though, that's an interesting development.
Technically, Google's only buying Motorola's mobile division. That's what their known for, but Motorola will still exist as an independent company afterwards. Really, Google's just after ownership of Motorola's patents so they can improve on Android.

Also, this is really getting ridiculous. I'm with the judge on this one. It's clearly just a retardedly huge business negotiation that's raping the judicial system in multiple countries because the companies in question are behaving like children. If I was in charge, I'd ban both companies from moving their products in the US for a year, for wasting the court's time and being such unreasonable fuckheads.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DVS BSTrD said:
Shouldn't it be
I think so. Maybe. I'm kind of confused at this point, to be honest. But I changed it anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"The judge then proceeded to slap everybody in the courtroom (partly assisted by the bailiff) in order to convey how much contempt he had for their petty dealings, while loudly expressing that the events that transpired would have an overall negligible effect on the advancement of the human race and that they should be ashamed to call themselves sapient beings. He ended his tirade by threatening to call the entire staff to physically eject them from the building if they wasted his time again."

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Agayek said:
Korzack said:
Wasn't aware Google was buying Motorola though, that's an interesting development.
Technically, Google's only buying Motorola's mobile division. That's what their known for, but Motorola will still exist as an independent company afterwards. Really, Google's just after ownership of Motorola's patents so they can improve on Android.

Also, this is really getting ridiculous. I'm with the judge on this one. It's clearly just a retardedly huge business negotiation that's raping the judicial system in multiple countries because the companies in question are behaving like children. If I was in charge, I'd ban both companies from moving their products in the US for a year, for wasting the court's time and being such unreasonable fuckheads.
Don't worry Agayek, I'll let you be high judge in my kangaroo court when the revolution comes, and the first people up against the wall will be corporate copyright trolls. Vive la revolution!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Don't worry Agayek, I'll let you be high judge in my kangaroo court when the revolution comes, and the first people up against the wall will be corporate copyright trolls. Vive la revolution!

I shall impose logic and decency on the tireless hoards of lobbyists and corporate fatcats in short order. Preferably via excessive use of explosives.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Man if Motorola wins Microsoft will get seriously pwned!

And the Xbox360 and potentially the 720 will crumble and if there are out of the market imagine the HUGE boost Sony`s PS3 will get :p

YAY

Comando96

May 26, 2009
This is bloody stupid.

Each side should sit down over a cup of tea, shake hands and stop all of this at once as its all gone too far...

Copyright law needs a global reform... copyright law in it's current state is fucking stupid.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well well, US once again putting their opinions above anyone elses. Who didnt saw this happen. Motorola will not win, why? because US will say them not to. Noone dares to go against US politically, because you know, almost half of worlds military belongs to US. And they already proved they cna get away with baseless wars.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Shouldn't it be
I think so. Maybe. I'm kind of confused at this point, to be honest. But I changed it anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.
Any chance we can know what patents Microsoft is allegedly infringing on, or has that not been released?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The Google association hadn't occurred to me.

So, Motorola... somehow... owns the patent on H.265, the format used for virtually all video anymore including BluRay and YouTube, and Google will own them soon. This could go one of two ways. Either Google could release the format as an open standard, as per their usual stance on such things, or they could withhold the rights to use it from their two main competitors, Apple and Microsoft, thus severely crippling their business. Especially Apple's since it would effectively shut down the iTunes video store until they can come up with a new format of their own.

Or they could do absolutely nothing, I guess.

Azmael Silverlance said:
Man if Motorola wins Microsoft will get seriously pwned!

And the Xbox360 and potentially the 720 will crumble and if there are out of the market imagine the HUGE boost Sony`s PS3 will get :p

YAY
I hope that was a joke.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Andy Chalk said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Shouldn't it be
Any chance we can know what patents Microsoft is allegedly infringing on, or has that not been released?
Mainly technicalities involving the decoding of H264 video. A few hundred lines of code at the very most.