Nintendo's DSi, DSi XL Dropping in Price

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Nintendo's DSi, DSi XL Dropping in Price

The price reduction comes weeks after Nintendo's first-ever full-year loss.

With 150 million units sold, it's difficult to believe that there's a gamer out there that doesn't own a Nintendo DS system. If you have somehow managed to resist the DS's many temptations until this point, you will soon be able to pick up models of the best-selling handhelds for significantly reduced prices.

Effective May 20, 2012, Nintendo will be dropping the MSRP of its DSi and DSi XL systems to $99.99 and $129.99 respectively. The current MSRP for the DSi system is $149.99 and $169.99 for the DSi XL, so the new price point offers savings of between $40 and $50 depending on which model you pick up.

The reduction widens the price gap between the DS line of handhelds and the more recently released 3DS hardware. The reduction in price positions the DSi as the budget model in Nintendo's DS suite, a position previously occupied by the now discontinued DS Lite. The new price drop also creates the first price difference between the DSi XL and the 3DS since the 3DS dropped in price last year. Both currently retail for $169.99.

The announcement comes just a few weeks after Nintendo reported its first ever full-year loss in 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116974-Nintendo-Records-First-Ever-Full-Year-Loss-in-2011].

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Eh, already got a DSi from the boyfriend since he had two and only uses his 3DS (a huge improvement over my original DS, that I can tell you. Only problem is the one I use the shoulder buttons don't work and I did a registration thing with my copy of Pokemon White on my original DS, so if I want to do any online with it, it has to be done on the original).

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Well, the 3DS is gaining back it's popularity after it's disappointing launch, my dad has a DSi XL and It is excellent but I am probably getting 3DS soon (after exams) the DS will always have an advantage over the 3DS and that is having no region lock (because fuck useless region lock)
Better find a DS Phat or DS Lite then. The DSi and DSi XL both feature region locking, for no real good reason. At this point you might as well bite the bullet and buy a 3DS if you need a new system, otherwise you're best off buying a much older model.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Is the DSi the model that still plays GBA games? Because then I might be bothered to pick it up. I'm not giving up my copy of the Phantast Star Collection...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nooners said:
Is the DSi the model that still plays GBA games? Because then I might be bothered to pick it up. I'm not giving up my copy of the Phantast Star Collection...
No, the DS Phat and the DS Lite played GBA games. The DSi and DSi XL have the ability to access the crappy Nintendo DSi store and buy crappy games. It takes an SD Card to store those games on.

What I find amazing is that someone who is still playing GBA games doesn't already know this.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Crono1973 said:
What I find amazing is that someone who is still playing GBA games doesn't already know this.
Well, for some reason, I never took any interest in the DS. Don't know why, it just sort of glossed over my radar. Good news now is that if I decide to grab one, I can get everything dirt cheap!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:
Well, for some reason, I never took any interest in the DS. Don't know why, it just sort of glossed over my radar. Good news now is that if I decide to grab one, I can get everything dirt cheap!
Well, the DS has some great games but remember, if you want to play GBA games you have to get a DS Lite (don't bother with the phat).

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:
You should go out and find a DS Lite at the very least. That model plays GBA games as well as the amazing library the DS has amassed.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
asherdeus said:
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:
You should go out and find a DS Lite at the very least. That model plays GBA games as well as the amazing library the DS has amassed.
I'll have to back that up. I still own my GBA Micro and I play with it every other week or so. I have considered buying a Lite since it's like 60-80 bucks depending where I get it at. But honestly...their selection of games doesn't impress me. I can see myself buying around 5 games that are worth getting and that's about it. That's exactly what I did with my GBA.

Not only that but aside from the new selection of games, the DS Lite doesn't offer much else. No camera or memory card slot...

In my case, it's a no-no. But that's just me. *Shrugs*

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
Beautiful End said:
asherdeus said:
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:
I'll have to back that up. I still own my GBA Micro and I play with it every other week or so. I have considered buying a Lite since it's like 60-80 bucks depending where I get it at. But honestly...their selection of games doesn't impress me. I can see myself buying around 5 games that are worth getting and that's about it. That's exactly what I did with my GBA.

Not only that but aside from the new selection of games, the DS Lite doesn't offer much else. No camera or memory card slot...

Really?

I'm not trying to convince you to get something you're not interested in.

But to me, saying that they're 5 DS games worth playing is like saying they're 5 PS2 games worth playing.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
5 games worth playing is plenty. I don't have 5 360 games worth playing because I don't like FPS games. I bought the 360 for the few JRPG's on it, only one of which is worth playing on the 360, Lost Odyssey. I prefer to play FF13 on the PS3 and The Last Remnant on the PC.

Also, who uses the camera on the DSi? It's the cheapest piece of camera I've ever seen. It's like a digital camera for 10 years ago.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
SuperTrainStationH said:
Beautiful End said:
asherdeus said:
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:

Really?

But to me, saying that they're 5 DS games worth playing is like saying they're 5 PS2 games worth playing.
No, I know. I'll admit the DS was quite tempting for a while and maybe I'm exaggerating when I say there's like 5 games I'd play. It's more like...10. I know, not that big of a difference.

Maybe if I didn't have a GBA, I would have bought one at some point. But the thing is I'm also not that into handhelds. I dunno.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
Beautiful End said:
SuperTrainStationH said:
Beautiful End said:
asherdeus said:
Nooners said:
Crono1973 said:

Really?

No, I know. I'll admit the DS was quite tempting for a while and maybe I'm exaggerating when I say there's like 5 games I'd play. It's more like...10. I know, not that big of a difference.

Maybe if I didn't have a GBA, I would have bought one at some point. But the thing is I'm also not that into handhelds. I dunno.

That's fine. My lifestlye and play habits are actually drawing me away from console gaming at the moment. The in-home portable aspect of Wii U is the only reason I'm following the coming home console cycle.