Treyarch: Black Ops II Doesn't Need a New Engine

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Treyarch: Black Ops II Doesn't Need a New Engine

"I think the whole thing about a new engine... sometimes that's a great buzzword," says Treyarch's Mark Lamia.

Originally a heavily modified version of the Quake III engine, the IW engine has powered every console-based Call of Duty game since Call of Duty 2's release back in 2005 (Correction: with the exception of Call of Duty 3). Despite the engine undergoing heavy modification between titles - though exactly how much is unclear, because Treyarch and Infinity Ward tend to be vague with engine titles - grumpy e-critics are still ridiculing the upcoming Black Ops II on the basis of its frumpy, out-of-date engine. Treyarch, however, couldn't care less.

While talking to One of Swords, [http://oneofswords.com/2012/05/mark-lamia-discusses-the-black-ops-ii-engine/] Treyarch studio head, Mark Lamia, compared working on a game engine to working on a house.

"Just because you're remodeling the house and it will look new or it will have a new kitchen, you don't tear out the foundation, or break out some of the framing," he said. "You might even go as hardcore as replacing the plumbing, and we will do that sort of thing, as an analogy."

"It's a gross simplification, but it's one way to say that," he continued. "There's a lot of good still in that foundation that you wouldn't get rid of, and we don't. We look to advance in the areas that support our game design."

It's worth noting that Valve is still releasing games that use the Source engine, which is one year older than the IW engine.

"I think the whole thing about a new engine... sometimes that's a great buzzword," Lamia continued. "Well, I have a new graphics engine - is that a new engine? Where does it start and stop? Elements of the code, you can trace back for a very, very long time... but whole parts of the code are entirely new. Two areas we did focus on for this game were the graphics and the lighting - a pretty significant amount of work is going into that."

Lamia goes on to add that expecting noticeable graphical enhancements between games isn't unreasonable, but that Treyarch won't any implement changes that prevent the game from running at 60 frames-per-second.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I would have to agree that a new game doesn't always need a new engine. If they think it works fine then go with it. Modify what you need to and work with the rest.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I agree with there not being a need for a new engine, but I can still question art direction. A lot of the Call of Duty textures just look ugly to me. If they could make a game look pretty without looking like someone threw coffee over every surface, I'd be fine.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
True. It probably doesn't need a new engine. It does need higher FOV than MW3 if they want to release it on the PC though, which may pose problems.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Just for fun, I fired up Quake 3 Arena and fought a couple bots, then opened Black Ops. Simply put, holy hell that was a LOT of plumbing you renovated in the house, Mark.

I wonder if this might help other developers take notice to not save up the millions Epic'll want for UE4, and see what's still under the sink in UE3.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
A new game doesn't always need a new engine. That would make the cost ridiculous. But sometimes, in the case of CoD, when a series has changed so little, from the graphics to the gameplay, something DOES need to change. At this point, I see CoD graphics and I yawn. Nothing new, same lighting, same particle effects, same vehicle models. Treyarch doesn't help with their sound design, which I've always found to be sub-par to IWs. Every bit of the CoD franchise is tired at this point, including the graphics.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
RUINER ACTUAL said:
A new game doesn't always need a new engine. That would make the cost ridiculous. But sometimes, in the case of CoD, when a series has changed so little, from the graphics to the gameplay, something DOES need to change. At this point, I see CoD graphics and I yawn. Nothing new, same lighting, same particle effects, same vehicle models. Treyarch doesn't help with their sound design, which I've always found to be sub-par to IWs. Every bit of the CoD franchise is tired at this point, including the graphics.
I agree with that. They don't necessarily need new code and all that stuff, but what the Call of Duty series as a whole desperately needs is some variation.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
They definitely have to fix that thing where if you spin around quickly or sprint up to a truck you can watch the texture load slowly before your eyes. Completely immersion-breaking.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Meh, kind of understandable, no real reason to make a new engine when the current one is maxing out the current console tech. There is a reason your gun takes up a giant chunk of the screen, the consoles don't have the power to do all the rendering to do a huge FOV. So why work on a new engine if the consoles won't be able to handle a complete overhaul.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
If you have a car, and you've replaced every piece of it at some point along the line, is it still the same car?

Something to think about.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I can really respect this position. It's too bad the games he makes are boring as shit. And not good ones like the bright green turds. Just boring average sized brown sinkers.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I can understand the point easily, I mean its not like there has been any change in the hardware of the main platforms for 7 odd years, except the PC but we know what Acti thinks of that platform so it doesnt count.
Take Cryteks and ID's new engines which are suppose to push the consoles hardware to the limit ( note I said consoles hardware ) and can you really say theres a huge difference in quality ( the 360 especially suffers from low quality textures due to limited memory )... the only platform that can actually use higher levels of technology is the only platform no bugger gives a shite about, the PC.

I havent touch a CoD title since MW 1 ( CoD4 ), mostly due to MW2 taking away so much ( dedi servers, ability of communities to host servers, mapping, modding, options to tweak settings, server browsers, and the Publisher/Devs simply not caring about the PC fans concerns ), and I doubt this title will change that.

I got to say though its not all about the tech in the game, the game also suffers what I consider a lack of gameplay, its more about stats and grinding levels than the actual battles... its about those numbers jumping out the screen with a the rocking audio cue, its about e-peen and perks.
Shooting enemies is just a side effect to all that.
BF3 is a prime example of how uber tech doesnt make the game uber, I mean it looks absolutely brilliant and sounds great but plays like a CoD title... ping you have leveled up, ohh you have a new shiny, hey you got a streak of kills, oh you are so great heres a badge, you are a hero heres a medal ... ohh you lost, ah well I'll give you a shiny anyways and besides heres some exp as well.
BF2142 , I recall the actual battles and can remember epic moments of pure awesome... BF3 I dont recall much more than crashes, getting owned by players with night vision sights that make me stick out while I was still trying to get basic sights, getting one shotted in a tank vs tank fight because he had some upgrade on his tank whereas I barely had smoke unlocked.
Ah yes, I am a noob because I didnt play the game for 12 hour sessions to grind out more levels... wierd though as in BF2142 , even with the starter kit for a class I could still be just as effective and contribute right from the start.

In brief : CoD's issue isnt so much to do with the tech, its the gameplay thats aging fast and needs updating ( and no new skins, new names for the perks, and new perks isnt updating ).

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I agree, why make a new engine when the current generation console can't go any further?
Internal tweaking with their current engine is what they need, make it more efficient, have higher FOV without dropping the frame rate.

Get that efficient programming trick done, then write a new graphics engine.

ASnogarD said:
BF2142 , I recall the actual battles and can remember epic moments of pure awesome... BF3 I dont recall much more than crashes,

In brief : CoD's issue isnt so much to do with the tech, its the gameplay thats aging fast and needs updating ( and no new skins, new names for the perks, and new perks isnt updating ).
This. I really agree with this... A lot of games today are just plain FORGETTABLE! That doesn't mean I call every single game today are bad. There are a lot of great games today, but only a few will become nostalgic.

Games back then even though they are not the best, they still remain nostalgic.

I'm calling it! If Black ops 2 is successful, then its likely we will have Battlefield 2143!

...except it will taste like Battlefield 3, in Space... not Battlefield 2142 - 2.

Please don't let that happen...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
The difference between the COD engine and the Source engine is that the Source engine has been repeatedly updated since it's release. Every new game brought new features and improvements not seen in games before. In fact, it eventually changed so much that they went back and implemented those changes in their earlier games like HL2 and CS:S. Now I know there have been some updates to the COD engine along the way, but I haven't seen anything that seemed nearly as drastic as some of the additions to the source engine. Not that I'd be surprised if they had a hard time implementing major changes when there are two companies making these games on the same engine on a yearly schedule. I'd imagine it make maintaining a single code base difficult if both are making drastic overhauls.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Probably has to do with the current console generation. We are getting near the release of a new generation (within the next 2 years), and no business-savvy developer is going to start working on a new engine now, so close to the end of this console generation life time.

It's just bad business, plus, it doesn't look half-bad. It's not exactly bringing home pushing the envelope, but hopefully that will happen soon enough.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
They already have too little time to make the game, making a new engine will naturally make there be less time developing it no? So I think this is a good thing. The graphics look fine anyway, they're acceptable for what they're intended to do. Not every game needs to be a Final Fantasy 13 or a Crysis.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"I think the whole thing about a new engine... sometimes that's a great buzzword," Lamia continued. "Well, I have a new graphics engine - is that a new engine? Where does it start and stop? Elements of the code, you can trace back for a very, very long time... but whole parts of the code are entirely new. Two areas we did focus on for this game were the graphics and the lighting - a pretty significant amount of work is going into that."

Lamia goes on to add that expecting noticeable graphical enhancements between games isn't unreasonable, but that Treyarch won't any implement changes that prevent the game from running at 60 frames-per-second.
So you're spending all your times way up the curve of diminishing returns making graphics tweaks most people won't notice instead getting your team to do something useful?