Tokyo Disneyland Allows Gay Marriage Ceremonies

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Tokyo Disneyland Allows Gay Marriage Ceremonies

Mickey Mouse doesn't care who you sleep with.

As Japan's legal definition of marriage is laid out in the nation's constitution in very specific "man and woman" terms, it seems unlikely the nation will allow gay couples to legally marry in the near future, but that hasn't stopped homosexual lovebirds from going through the ceremonies anyway.

When lesbian couple from Tokyo asked the staff at Disneyland Tokyo if they could hold a wedding ceremony at the theme park, they were told that since "ordinary customers are watching" one of the women would have to dress as the bridegroom.

The disappointed couple took to Twitter, and some angry ranting later, a resort operator contacted the ladies and told them they were free to "marry" in whatever attire they desired. They can not, however, exchange vows at the onsite chapel "because of Christian teaching."

According to ABS, the cost of a Cinderella's castle wedding at Tokyo Disneyland is a staggering 7.5 million yen - around $95,000 US. Mickey doesn't discriminate against the gay, but he certainly discriminates against the poor. Damn.

The couple went to Disneyland in person, where they met Mickey, money-grubbing rodent that he is, and thanked him personally.

"Mickey first looked surprised to hear that we are a 'couple of girls'," the ladies wrote on their blog. "But we said we were there to thank him because same-sex weddings can be held at the Disney Resort, and he celebrated with us."

Japan has been slow to change its laws to account for homosexual or transgendered couples, largely due to the nation's glacial approach to social issues, but some maintain that LGBT or queer lifestyles are accepted, but not discussed.

Disney resorts in the US have apparently been offering same-sex marriage ceremonies, regardless of their legality, since 2007. [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/06/AR2007040602286.html]

Source: Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/same-sex-wedding-disneyland]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Why would you not offer these? For the tiny amount you may lose from people objecting to them, the enormous boon you get from people having just one wedding makes it pretty smart business sense. We've seen this with recent US states who received millions in extra revenue from 'gay marriage tourism'.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
Japan...You so crazy Awesome...
/thread

But HOW in the name of GOD are they allowed to do what is illegal in the rest of the country!?
Is Disney really that powerful?
It's not illegal to perform a gay marriage ceremony, it just isn't recognized and has no legal meaning.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Diablo1099 said:
Japan...You so crazy Awesome...
/thread

But HOW in the name of GOD are they allowed to do what is illegal in the rest of the country!?
It's not illegal to perform a gay marriage ceremony, it just isn't recognized and has no legal meaning.
Ohhhhh...
God, this is why I don't post sleep lagged...
Cheers

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Well... they were the funding force behind that one movie that about 80% of all comic book fans have been dying to see for the last 30 years, nevermind that it actually worked and they profited from it immensely.

Besides, alot of things over there make little sense to us anyway. Such as Capcoms refusal to give me more Monster Hunter.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Amnestic said:
Why would you not offer these? For the tiny amount you may lose from people objecting to them, the enormous boon you get from people having just one wedding makes it pretty smart business sense. We've seen this with recent US states who received millions in extra revenue from 'gay marriage tourism'.
Agreed. Though there may be more ethical motives for allowing these ceremonies, the fact is that there is immense economic incentive for Disneyland, as well.

Sourman

Mar 25, 2012
Good show Disney :)

Grey Carter said:
According to ABS, the cost of a Cinderella's castle wedding at Tokyo Disneyland is a staggering 7.5 million yen - around $95,000 US. Mickey doesn't discriminate against the gay, but he certainly discriminates against the poor. Damn.
What I really wanted to ask about is the price. 95k US does sound like a lot, but not being from the US and not being married, I have no idea. Could a US escapist shed some light on this? And yes, I know you can get married for nothing or for a million dollars, I was wondering about the cost of an "average" wedding.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Me reading the japanese in the picture: "Arigatou mikkii. What the fuck is mikkii? I've never heard that word before. What the fuck does it...oh wait. I'm an idiot"

beniki

May 28, 2009
The real question is, what Disney princesses are they going to dress up as for the ceremony?

And if they don't, I move that they be disallowed from having the ceremony there on the grounds of missing an opportunity to have pictures of Jasmine and Ariel making out, crushing the dreams of perverts everywhere :mad:

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
They asked to be married there...Disney said 'Okay, but you have to dress this way', then they complained until Disney finally let them do it their way.

That's kind of bitchy. It isn't enough that they're willing to do it at all?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I never realised this sort of thing was an issue in Japan. In a very selfish way it makes me glad that religion isn't the sole cause of this and it's just people being small-minded and change averse the world over, but in a larger sense it would have been better for that not to happen and have more happy people in the world.

Still it means that this is something we can change if we fight enough, like every other cultural shift, odd that Disneyland is going to lead the way :D

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Mickey: I WILL NOT STAND FOR UNIONS! No matter how Civil they are!
rhizhim said:
what? one of the iconic figures of conservatism is doing what?
whats going on? [sub] who touched the buttons on this machine...[/sub]
Its the Jews and communists Disney had a grudge against, otherwise his only demand was "You WILL have a good time!"
My proud Jewcomunist heritage finds that offensive.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, good for them. And Disneyland is certainly a great place for a wedding... even if they just want the money...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
They asked to be married there...Disney said 'Okay, but you have to dress this way', then they complained until Disney finally let them do it their way.

That's kind of bitchy. It isn't enough that they're willing to do it at all?
Well, if it were as simple as Disney saying "you have to dress this way", it would be. What Disney actually seem to have said is "OK, we'll allow you two women to marry in our park, as long as one of you pretends to be a man for the sake of decency". Because there's nothing wrong with a same-sex couple, as long as they try as hard as possible to look like they aren't a same-sex couple.

OT: This story is madness. Utter madness. Why would anyone want to get married at a goddamn Disneyland? I have never, and I do mean never, been to a more disturbing and depressing place in my life. And I've visted Portsmouth!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Tokyo Disneyland, further proving that Japan is weird. It does seem like a nice place for a party though
"the cost of a Cinderella's castle wedding at Tokyo Disneyland is a staggering 7.5 million yen - around $95,000 US. Mickey doesn't discriminate against the gay, but he certainly discriminates against the poor. Damn."
If I was rich

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Pretty costly, but nice anyway, even if the strange rules regarding vows and whatnot (and the initial response regarding "traditional clothing") leave a bit of a bad aftertaste. Overall, though: Good on Disney.