Pachter: Activision Won't Block Respawn's New Title

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Pachter: Activision Won't Block Respawn's New Title

Activision won't try to mess with its former employees' new game, says Pachter.

Though Activision's drawn out legal slap-fight with former Infinity Ward developers, Jason West and Vince Zampella, is being drawn out like a dramatic Spanish soap opera (there was a particularly juicy episode this week) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117296-Activision-Tried-to-Have-Its-Employees-Computers-Hacked], the giant publisher has managed to settle things with Electronic Arts. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117304-EA-and-Activision-Settle-Infinity-Ward-Dispute] As a result of this legal ceasefire, Activision won't try to block the launch of West and Zampella's new game, which is being developed for EA by Respawn Entertainment, home of numerous former Infinity Ward employees. At least according to market analyst, Michael Pachter.

Respawn's new game, supposedly a "sci-fi orientated shooter" designed to compete with titles like Gears of War and Halo, won't be shown at this year's E3, but it is expected the game will launch in 2014.

Activision was seeking nearly $400 million in damages from EA, claiming that the company attempted to poach West, Zampella and 40 other employees, causing delays and disruptions in Infinity Ward. Both companies have now walked away from the lawsuit, but Pachter thinks its unlikely that any real money exchanged claws.

"We do not believe that the undisclosed settlement amount was material to either Activision or EA, and think it is entirely possible that little or no compensation actually changed hands," he told Gameindustry.biz. [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-05-17-ea-and-activision-resolve-interference-lawsuit-respawn-entertainment-could-launch-title-in-2014]

A similar situation cropped up back in 2009, when Activision attempted to block EA from publishing Brutal Legend, claiming it had invested $15 million in the title before dropping it, and thus owned the rights. The case was settled out of court.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
After the the long, drawn out slap fight between the two publishers it's surprising that thing where settled so neatly. I expected this to end in a literal explosion of money.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
uguito-93 said:
After the the long, drawn out slap fight between the two publishers it's surprising that thing where settled so neatly. I expected this to end in a literal explosion of money.
Something like the end of Scott Pilgrim? One of them just explodes into tiny coins?

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
Something like the end of Scott Pilgrim? One of them just explodes into tiny coins?
For some reason that scene becomes a bit more disturbing when Kotick and Riccitiello are added to the mix. I guess that would make West and Zampella this version's Ramona?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
uguito-93 said:
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
For some reason that scene becomes a bit more disturbing when Kotick and Riccitiello are added to the mix. I guess that would make West and Zampella this version's Ramona?
[img=http://blastmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/west_zampella.jpg]

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
[img=http://blastmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/west_zampella.jpg]
I think I'll pass on the tea...

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I can totally see them taking a U turn if the game becomes a serious threat to call of duty.

Sure, they may be going sci fi, but COD is straying into that area as well, I guess how much it becomes a competition will depend on exactly how sci fi we're talking here, in both cases.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I'm just waiting for us to find out that Kotick has secretly been making a doomsday device to try and destroy all other publishers.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
"These guys are stepping on our property! Lets sue their asses!" *2 months later* "Aaah, Can't be arsed anymore. Lets just let them h-whats that?! These guys are stepping on our property! Lets sue their asses!" etc.

Doclector said:
I can totally see them taking a U turn if the game becomes a serious threat to call of duty.

Sure, they may be going sci fi, but COD is straying into that area as well, I guess how much it becomes a competition will depend on exactly how sci fi we're talking here, in both cases.
Its going to be reeeeally hard to sue someone over the IP of "Sci-fi" and/or "shooter"..

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Excludos said:
"These guys are stepping on our property! Lets sue their asses!" *2 months later* "Aaah, Can't be arsed anymore. Lets just let them h-whats that?! These guys are stepping on our property! Lets sue their asses!" etc.

Doclector said:

Its going to be reeeeally hard to sue someone over the IP of "Sci-fi" and/or "shooter"..
These are the guys who went to court over brutal legend, a game they had cancelled, but got picked up by double fine and gained a ton of hype, with the basic argument "We saw it first!", if it looks as if it's going to be competition, no matter how absurd the argument, they'll try and stop it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Wow, a "sci-fi orientated shooter" designed to compete with titles like Gears of War and Halo!
I can't fucking wait to get my hands on this unique little gem!
Thanks, activision!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
now there's a face I haven't seen in a while and totally wasn't eager to see again
as for the game itself... sure it may not be unique or something like that, but as long as it's a new IP, I'll give it a try
as long as it comes out on PC

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Patcher says it's not gonna happen, so it probably is.

Aiddon said:
I'm just waiting for us to find out that Kotick has secretly been making a doomsday device to try and destroy all other publishers.
Secretly?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Both companies have now walked away from the lawsuit, but Pachter thinks its unlikely that any real money exchanged claws.
So someone finally figured out that the net result of all these lawsuits is lawyers getting rich off of everyone else's misery? Bravo.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Aiddon said:
Secretly?
Millions of Skylanders portals are plugged into consoles and PCs all over the world. Who knows what they're really doing? (Cue sinister laughter.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mortuorum said:
Millions of Skylanders portals are plugged into consoles and PCs all over the world. Who knows what they're really doing? (Cue sinister laughter.)
Oh, I know...Who do you think patented the technology?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a long time since I've seen that face, that really annoying face.

OT: How generous of them, really.

Yeah they're saying that now, but meanwhile in the Legion of Doom...

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
Meanwhile, in Activision's "Secret" Lair!

Yes, they'll never suspect a thing..

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Kotick looks like something I killed in Diablo 3 last night. Seriously, he looks like some kind of hellspawn. The Lord of Lies is strong in this one.