"Complete Gacha" Ban is Complete in Japan

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Complete Gacha" Ban is Complete in Japan

As expected, Japan has formalized a complete ban on "complete gacha" in social games.

"Complete gacha" is - or was - a popular social gaming mechanic in Japan, in which players must complete a set of items drawn from a randomly occurring pool in order to earn another, more powerful item. Think of it as having to collect six blue gumballs from a giant gumball machine, so you can trade them in for an Uzi. The trouble is that every gumball costs a nickel, but the kids in Japan really want that Uzi, and they're spending huge amounts of money to get it - hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars a month.

The situation got bad enough that the Japanese government felt the need to get involved by declaring the mechanic illegal. Effective July 1, any game maker who employs "complete gacha" will face unspecified penalties. Details will be announced by Japan's Consumer Affairs Agency later today.

Most of the big players in the Japanese industry saw the ban coming and had already stopped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117134-Japan-Ready-To-Ban-Gacha-Gameplay] using "complete gacha" voluntarily, but that didn't spare them the pain of losing access to one of their most reliable money-making mechanics. Both Gree and DeNA dropped 20 percent of their share value earlier this month, while Konami and Namco Bandai suffered less-precipitous but still dramatic losses of their own.

I don't think I've ever heard of a ban on a specific game mechanic before and it strikes me as a rather extreme response to a situation that could've been remedied with less drastic and economically punitive measures, like monthly spending caps. But hey - at least we still have bullet time.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/con12k/complete_gacha_illegal/]

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
If it's gambling, then it seems perfectly fine to make it illegal. It's unethical to have such a mechanic, and perfectly fine to just ban it outright.

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
Andy, not to gripe, but could you change the picture to something a bit more...relevant? The article is about Gacha bans, but the picture appears to be of some sort of generic crappy smartphone game. A generic law pic would even work, but as it stands the pic has little to do with the article other then being "loljapanesegame"

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Wonderful. As always, the government knows much better what is best for their stupid, stupid citizens!...

...i really hate when some narcissistic idiots impose their narrow-minded will upon people. If someone wants to waste his money, it's his own decision. And if his kid wants to waste it's money, well, it's up to parent to take care of it. NOT government.

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
theriddlen said:
Wonderful. As always, the government knows much better what is best for their stupid, stupid citizens!...

...i really hate when some narcissistic idiots impose their narrow-minded will upon people. If someone wants to waste his money, it's his own decision. And if his kid wants to waste it's money, well, it's up to parent to take care of it. NOT government.
But, the government always knows best! Who needs to take care of their own kids when we can just ban what we feel is hurting our/their youth! I mean come on now, the year is 2012. Parents don't need to teach their kids anything this day and age, right?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zombine3D said:
you, sir, don't see the problem. for example: your small kid plays a stupid free-to-play game on android/ios and decides to buy some "quick access" currency for 70$. then imagine every child out of 3 do it.
I'm kind of torn here. On the one hand, this is out of hand. On the other, why aren't parents intervening on that level?

On the one hand, I'm fine with this ban. On the other, this sort of gaming problem seems to be something a ban won't fix. It seems like a societal issue that needs to be addressed or this ban is just a band-aid