Diablo 3 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Diablo 3 Review

Diablo 3 is a classic Blizzard sequel. The core gameplay has been iterated on and sharpened to a fine edge, while it ultimately feels a little light on major, impactful changes.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I wish they'd done something to reinvent the inventory system.

Swapping out 8 point pair of pants for an 8.6 pair every five minutes gets old quickly. So does constantly stopping to drop items in order to pick up other items.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Zhukov said:

Swapping out 8 point pair of pants for an 8.6 pair every five minutes gets old quickly. So does constantly stopping to drop items in order to pick up other items.
Don't know if its different for other difficulties, but there is literally no reason to pick up non blue items as each of the normal things only sell for 2-5 gold that I have noticed. Everything else you can find/craft if your blacksmith is leveled high enough.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
This is one of the first Diablo 3 reviews out there. I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing. It's Diablo 3 with no revolutionary changes.

Waiting for Torchlight 2.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
As expected. No matter where you stand on the 'always online' crap or the graphics, you know that this will be a game which will make your mouse buttons cry.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
The game is definitely good, but sadly lacks anything else than attack, kill, and loot. Not a bad thing to say in the least mind you, but I just wish there was just something more.

EcksTeaSea said:
Don't know if its different for other difficulties, but there is literally no reason to pick up non blue items as each of the normal things only sell for 2-5 gold that I have noticed. Everything else you can find/craft if your blacksmith is leveled high enough.
I kinda found this a bit frustrating. In one way you don't have to worry about going back to town to sell as much excess, but in the same manner, the white items boil down to meaningless screen clutter that you have to go back and pick through if you end up pulling a few consecutive groups.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Absolutionis said:
This is one of the first Diablo 3 reviews out there. I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing. It's Diablo 3 with no revolutionary changes.

They rated it 4 out of 5 stars. That is a numerical score.

That being said, sounds like classic Blizzard methods. Minimal change and release. The name Blizzard handles the rest.

I won't trash Diablo 3 directly as I have yet to play it (I refuse to buy it based on past experiences with the franchise, and I do not pirate), but sounds like it is exactly what I predicted. Diablo 2 with some WoW elements implemented (both gameplay and graphically, looks like they just updated the WC3 engine).

I'm sure it will do well though, and wish Blizzard the best.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Absolutionis said:

*cough* [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean]

Not buying this game because it hits all the wrong buttons for me: always on for single player, no modding(not just that it isn't mod friendly, but that modding attempts would get you banned from playing a single player game), no LAN, little to no reason beyond graphics to recommend it over its predecessor(and many reasons to do the opposite, as the review illustrates)... It is a shame because before WoW's Burning Crusade expansion I had been a huge fan of Blizzard from back in the SNES and Warcraft days. Now they can't seem to make anything I could give a shit about...

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Good, but nothing new.
Isn't that pretty much exactly what Blizzard stands for?
Thanks for this review. That and the displayed ingame scenes are more than enough to convince me not to get the game. If the DRM weren't already enough, of course.
Quite frankly, this looks like Warcraft.
Honestly, I don't like the idea of "automatic stat distribution". This seems like it's overly simplistic and easy, but more importantly lacking in variability and the possibility for outlandish builds, which was an utter necessity for D2's replayability.

Absolutionis said:
I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing.
Well, technically, they are giving it a 4 out of 5 (check the second page). EDIT: Ninja'd, of course.

EDIT2:
Scars Unseen said:
no modding(not just that it isn't mod friendly, but that modding attempts would get you banned from playing a single player game)
Good point, especially considering the modding scene around D2. I'd probably re-install Median before I would buy this game.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Zhukov said:

Ah, but if they had done that, we would now be hearing the cries of a million angry puritans who think that any effort to get rid of the stuff in RPG's that even RPG fans admit is tedious, equates to "dumbing-down".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wouldn't say the control are great, e.g. if you want your Wizard to use his/ her range blast you hold the shift button however to see the freeze spell you press 1 making it awkward for your right hand to press it while holding onto the shift button.
Other than that (well and a few other problems) I actually like the game despite being a newcomer to the franchise and the isometric game style.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
If always on DRM wasn't a dealbreaker for me the real money AH was.

Anyway it looks good it really does, but there are more games out there and I think I'll just skip this one.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Don't fix what isn't broken seems to be working out well for Diablo 3. The only problem I have with it is the occasional lag and DC.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Looking past the beastly elephant in the room (Mr. Forced Online DRM Server), this really looks like the series moved on without me. And I'm ok with that given what the game is.

I was originally sad I couldn't play, but they've ditched health potions in favor of dropped health orbs? The mana is gone in favor of a built-up power meter? The graphics look just like WoW? Unique character builds are no longer possible? GEeeeez loueeez, Blizzard!

If I cared one iota about this series anymore, this would totally be me right now:

But I don't really care. So I'm more like:

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
There's something to be said for a sequel that works on refining gameplay, but the series already started off pretty simplistic and hasn't needed much polish. If anything Diablo needs the opposite - add some complexity and variety to the formula. Maybe expand NPC interaction or introduce a factional system. Perhaps a non-linear mainquest to match their world generation?

The last time Blizzard did something that really caught me eye was their original plan for WCIII to be an RPG/RTS hybrid. While backpeddling may have satisfied the hardcore fans it lost my interest. I'll probably pick up StarCraft II when they finally release the whole game, but I doubt I'll pick up Diablo III. I don't know, maybe they'll introduce a class later on that gets me hooked.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Well, it's Diablo 3.
They did exactly what the fans wanted.
They didn't want drastic changes or innovation.
They wanted Diablo, and they got Diablo made better than ever before.
Just like with they did with StarCraft 2.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Li Mu said:
As expected. No matter where you stand on the 'always online' crap or the graphics, you know that this will be a game which will make your mouse buttons cry.
Unless the place you're standing is a place with a poor internet connection :D

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Im just gonna ask 1 question how is ubisoft always one drm unacceptable but diablo drm bad?
love how pc gamers love to whine about always on but when a game comes out with it they eat that shit up.