Worst Gaming Foods: Spiffy or Spoiled?

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Worst Gaming Foods: Spiffy or Spoiled?

Does digging into unusual edible gaming goodies temp your taste buds or turn your stomach? You decide.

Many avid videogame enthusiasts have their own ritual crap - I mean "snacks" - they enjoy when locked in marathon sessions behind the controller, but the emergence of food branded with videogame themes and imagery still remains a curiosity. The intrepid folks over at gastronomists cringe [http://www.asylum.com].

Unsurprisingly, the bulk of the entries cited fall into the 1980s breakfast cereal category. Some of the earliest forerunners to modern day gaming snacks were best enjoyed drenched in milk first thing in the morning. From the Atari age, Donkey Kong, Q-Bert, and Pac-Man all received the kids cereal treatment, but the best was the ultra cool Nintendo Cereal System that sported both Zelda and Mario-themed crunchy goodness. This was one trend that should absolutely be brought back. I'd love to start my day with a nice bowl of BioShock puffs, Resident Evil crispies or Animal Crossing flakes.

With modern times comes quintuple the calories, which is why KFC's box of death [http://kotaku.com/5069584/guitar-hero-world-tour-meets-kfc-in-heart-attack-tie+in] is being marketed to counteract the energy burning potential of Guitar Hero World Tour. For slightly less artery-clogging action, I'm partial to the Pikachu Mac-N-Cheese.

The list gets a little sketchier, when venturing into the uncertain realm of gaming beverages. I can't imagine the hyperactive twitchiness induced by theHalo 3-themed Mountain Dew "Game Fuel" is going to do much to help your game. The Resident Evil "T-Virus Antidote" is suspect simply because any drink associated with zombies gives me great pause. Also, the eerily vague "Final Fantasy Potion" is another elixir that's best untouched. I think I'll stick with my Colt 45; it work's every time. Just ask Lando Calrissian [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM].

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
I like how they call it the "Nintendo Cereal System".

I don't think all gamer drinks are weird. While I've never had the pleasure to drink one, I like the idea of Mana Potions [http://www.manapotions.com/about.html]. They're appropriate to their source material, not overly marketed, and just as a real mana potion would be, sound completely unstable.

CrashTestZombie

Mar 13, 2009
This makes me wish I was born in the 80s. I've always wanted to try the Mario and Zelda cereal, and I agree that they should bring that stuff back. Imagine "Left 4 Dead: Rations Cereal", or "Fallout 3 Nuke-O's. No Rads here!". And, for some weird reason, the Pokemon Mac-N-Cheese tastes better than the regular kind.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
New brand Nuka-Cola, 97% rad free!
Mario's Mari-o cereal! Marshmallow coins and crunchy wheat koopas!
Left 4 Dead Ration Paste! PURE protein and other nutrients liqufied and super compressed into a 5ml tube for your convenience! [Servings per package: 140]
TEAM FORTRESS 2 ORIGINAL FLAVOUR BONK! ATOMIC PUNCH. ALSO COMES IN CHERRY FISSION AND BLUTONIUM FLAVOUR! [Note: May cause heart attack in 67% of cases. Can cause cancer. Drink at your own risk]
Fresh Sandvich in a Box. 120 nutritional points!
The list of possiblilities goes on...and then on and on and on.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Zombify said:
This makes me wish I was born in the 80s. I've always wanted to try the Mario and Zelda cereal, and I agree that they should bring that stuff back. Imagine "Left 4 Dead: Rations Cereal", or "Fallout 3 Nuke-O's. No Rads here!". And, for some weird reason, the Pokemon Mac-N-Cheese tastes better than the regular kind.

Necro old pointless threads is bad.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
It says Super Mario Bros but isn't that the Fake SMB2? Those nintendo sponsored candies are just terrbile though.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Heh. Reminds me of a time I used to eat gummy nitendo chracter sort of things.

At least that's what I think they were. They were odd, rather nice though.

CrashTestZombie

Mar 13, 2009
oliveira8 said:

Necro old pointless threads is bad.
Forgive me, oh supreme Escapist god, for posting on a thread that I thought was interesting. It's not like the date matters or anything. I guess it's my fault for not looking at the date the thread was created...

Douk said:
It says Super Mario Bros but isn't that the Fake SMB2? Those nintendo sponsored candies are just terrbile though.
That is the U.S. SMB2, but the Zelda game shown on the box was also Zelda II: Link's Adventure. I guess they wanted them to match. I think there were also boxes with artwork from the first games, with Link saying "We've rescued breakfast!".