Capcom Celebrates Street Fighter Anniversary with Collector's Edition

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
Capcom Celebrates Street Fighter Anniversary with Collector's Edition

The real fight will be getting all this stuff back in the box.

Back in August, 1987, Capcom released Street Fighter to arcades, unleashing a franchise onto the public that would see countless updates and iterations over its long, 25-year history. There's no doubt that Street Fighter has a huge, important legacy, so it comes as no surprise that Capcom is producing a massive collector's edition to celebrate the franchise's silver anniversary.

Set to arrive in stores September 18, 2012, the $149.99 collection will be available on the PS3 and Xbox 360. In addition to including four entries in the Street Fighter series (Street Fighter X Tekken, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, and Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition), it will also include all of the DLC for each.

Like any late-night infomercial, there's more. The star of the show is an 8-inch statue of Ryu performing a devastating Shoryuken. Best of all, it lights up, so you can rest assured that any monsters under your bed will be thoroughly trashed if they try anything. If you prefer watching Street Fighter more than playing it, this collection might be for you, too. It includes a documentary on the Street Fighter series, the entirety of the Street Fighter animated series, and the Street Fighter IV animated movies (notably, the live-action film is missing). There's also an 11-disc soundtrack and a hardcover art book featuring pieces from fans.

Best of all, fans who really want to get into character can strap on Ryu's black belt. Yes, you get a full-sized black belt in the box that you can wear it in public, should you choose. The major retailers have yet to list it as available for pre-order, but Capcom is stressing the limited nature of collector's edition, so get your orders in early if this is one you want.

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/05/23/announcing_street_fighter_25th_anniversary_collectors_set,_plus_details_on_international_tournament]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow (insert shup up and take my money) if only I was rich would I afford that without feeling bad about it.

asherdeus

Apr 23, 2012
vxicepickxv said:
Won't they just release an ultimate collector's edition in about 9 months?
Yes, and the Ultimate Collector's Edition Arcade Edition will be out 9 months after that.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
They are also missing an entire platform... or wasnt there a single PC fan for the IP over the years ?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh. I wanted to want it, but with all of the missing games and the fact that I already own a lot of what's included I just can't find myself caring. I would definitely like the statue though and would probably buy that by itself if I could.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
September! I'll be loaded by then! Can't wait! Street Fighter memories...HERE I COME!
If by memories, you mean the 4 games that were released in the past couple years.

OT: Great buy for folks who don't have the most recent Street Fighter titles. Beyond that, can't really justify blowing $150.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Um...yeah, that's all great and everything but when you advertise a "collector's" edition for an "anniversary," I expect to see:

"Street Fighter"
all incarnations of "Street Fighter II"
"3rd Strike"
"Street Fighter Alpha 1 - 3"
"X-Men VS Street Fighter"
"Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter."

Hell, even throw in the crap-tastic Jean-Claude Van Damme movie-based game

Then maybe I'll fork over $150

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
crono738 said:
If by memories, you mean the 4 games that were released in the past couple years.
Um... Street Fighter III was released in 1997 [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583627-street-fighter-iii-new-generation/data]; 15 years ago, and Street Fighter II is from 1993 [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583630-super-street-fighter-ii/data]. Some of us have been gaming since before the days of X-Box Live Arcade re-releases.

Edit: And no, the fact that the Collector's Edition mentioned here has the latest versions of the games doesn't count as "released in the past couple years", because the games are still the same. Otherwise I could argue that World of Warcraft is a brand new game because it just got a new patch.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm... tempting, VERY tempting. Despite being a big fighting game fan, I actually DON'T own most of those games (haven't picked up SFxT yet, don't have Turbo Remix, the only version of 3 I have is in the LAST anniversary collection, and while I have SSF4, I don't have Arcade Edition). To say nothing of not having the DLC for any of that. So, I'd probably be getting my money's worth for the games. Mostly.

The show and movies are a nice touch, and that Ryu bust is fairly awesome. Plus, the belt there would look GREAT with my Ryu headband from SF4.

Still... I'm trying to save money here. Not really sure I can justify purchasing this, especially since I've been a bit burned out on fighting games recently (Mortal Kombat, MvC3, TvC, Dissidia, etc.). Suppose we'll see. But damn, this box really DOES have everything. Well, except for the original Street Fighter... which is really forgivable, in my opinion.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
All of this after they say Street Fighter X Tekken didn't do well because of market saturation. I have such little respect for Capcom at this point. AND, I already own all of those games.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
I'm going to wait for the super hyper turbo ultimate remix HD DX edition that will come out in 1 year, just 6 months after its super turbo ultimate remix edition of the collection

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I understand th need to pick and chose games for this collection, but it's a poor aniversary colection that doesn't include the game you're celebrating the aniversary of.

Granted the original Street Fighter controled like shit.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
crono738 said:
Um... Street Fighter III was released in 1997 [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583627-street-fighter-iii-new-generation/data]; 15 years ago, and Street Fighter II is from 1993 [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/583630-super-street-fighter-ii/data]. Some of us have been gaming since before the days of X-Box Live Arcade re-releases.

Edit: And no, the fact that the Collector's Edition mentioned here has the latest versions of the games doesn't count as "released in the past couple years", because the games are still the same. Otherwise I could argue that World of Warcraft is a brand new game because it just got a new patch.
HD Remix being compared to a WoW patch...brilliant.

Chracter sprited were redrawn, as were backgrounds. The entire soundtrack was changed courtesy of OCremix, not to mention all of the balancing Capcom did. It was far more than a simple port or half-assed patch of the original SF2.

I'll give you 3rd Strike Online though, since the only real changes were online multiplayer and a pointless achievement system...thing.

Still, damn near everyoe who was actually a Street FIghter fan would've already picked both of them up off of the PSN/XBLA.

Edit: The addition of the Street Fighter Animated Series, assuming it's the old American one, is brilliant, however.