178: The (Slightly More Than) Twelve Games of Christmas

Chris LaVigne

Dec 17, 2007
The (Slightly More Than) Twelve Games of Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas. A Muppets Family Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Every medium has made its own contributions to the Christmas tradition - except videogames. Chris LaVigne searches for a game that truly embodies the holiday spirit.

Read Full Article

Hamumu

Dec 2, 2008
Well, you didn't look hard enough! My Loonyland 2: Winter Woods, and Costume Party (with Winter Pack, released yesterday!), will let you celebrate the holidays in entertaining and non-crappy style! Loonyland 2 is an action-RPG, a cross between Zelda and Diablo 2 (but family friendly), and Costume Party is a teensy platformer all based around user-built levels. Check them out at http://hamumu.com !

In a less self-promotional note, I'd say Icy Tower is a roughly thematic choice that doesn't last terribly long, but is sure free and fun!

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I don't think you every will find a decent game dedicated to Christmas as they all tend to have terrible gameplay and just be games that are destined to be thrown on the crap third party game bonfire.

The article did remind me of playing Gex Deep Cover Gecko and owning the Evil Santa, it's not exactly in the spirit of christmas though lol.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
You briefly mentioned MMO Christmas events, and I have to say that nothing put me in the holiday spirit more than when I used to play Final Fantasy XI and they'd hold the Starlight Festival. The music and decor in Jueno were more seasonal and festive than any holiday-themed quests and special items that other MMO's offered.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Reading this article, I was thinking of one developer that really could land a Christmas game hit - the makers of the "Lego" games. Even though I've only spent limited time with them (a couple hours distributed over the demos of various ones), I think a "Lego Santa" game could really work. Think about it - it would have cooperative play, naturally bringing a family together, is relatively easy and thus not frustrating, and there are already a few lego lines that have Santa/Christmasy stuff (iirc).

The problem would be that the mechanics would the "Lego" games would be geared more towards platforming, a genre which (I agree) you say does not work well with the general idea of Christmas. But evil penguins aside, I think it could work decently well - maybe avoiding the eyes of insomniac children, or bopping on the heads of "Scrooges" that for some reason hate Christmas. I dunno - but it could be worth a shot.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
How about a stealth game? Sneak into the houses and secretly deliver presents to the tree without waking the children :)

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I was thinking about this only a few days ago myself, the conclusion my housemates came to was definitely a stealth game. Also, any sled-flying game would definitely have to be "passive"; no attacking, just dodging whatever obstacle you're up against and aiming for arbitrary goals.

Aha! Like NiGHTS, which happens to have a Christmas version...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I don't see why it specifically has to be specifically a Christmas game though. It could just as easily be a video game about the holidays in general, much more broad, and it won't come off as some pretentious company trying to shove their religion down your throat...as much anyway.

Frankly, whenever I see a commercial that says they have a "Christmas Sale!" I turn to the next channel. If they have a "Holiday Sale" they get bonus points from me. Though that may be because I'm jewish :p

Besides, when was the last time you've seen a Hanukah video game, hmm? All the more reason to make a great "Holiday Game" rather than specifically a "Christmas Game", and even broaden the audience a bit more. Hell, I could even see a fun game out of that.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Well if you are a WoW player, the Winter Veil does actually add a lot to the holiday spirit.

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
I have the exact same problem every time I hear that the must-have game of the season is an FPS. It's ridiculous. 2007 had a legendary Winter line-up in terms of quality, but out of all those the only one that had any sort of feel-good, hearty tone to it was Super Mario Galaxy. This year, it's not any better.

Thanks for the good article, and I hope a developer follows up on this criticism and makes a good game with the true Christmas virtue in mind.

SuperBH

Apr 29, 2008
Christmas NiGHTS was indeed an awesome Christmas game! Orginally, it was given away at GAME in December 1996 if two SEGA Saturn games were purchased at the same time.

A number of years later, 1998 I think, Sega Saturn Magazine gave it away as a cover disc. I remember I was extremely excited by that, since I had lusted after CN when I first saw it on GAME's Big Screen!!

wsd1012

Oct 29, 2008
i am suprised that he skipped over the elf bowling games. i know they where kind of boring sports games but they where always good for a cheap laugh and the first ones was the best bowling game i have ever played

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
The answer is pretty simple. As Indigo_Dingo said, Christmas games have a limited timeframe appeal. No sane developer will spend thousands of cold cash to create a game, that interests costumers only for a month. That is simply PC suicide. Just think about it, right after Christmas Eve, when you already unwrapped your presents, eaten the dinner and cookies, the relatives already left, and you are thinking about New Year's, you won't play X-mas games. It's like sex. When the calendar enters December, you get exited, start to prepare for the big day, and get more and more excited, work even harder on the preparations... until you reach Christmas, and after that, you suddenly lose interest.

Game developers are people too, and know exactly why a Christmas-only themed game won't sell. This is why. Of course they make holiday mods to existing games, but that's all about it. Maybe some indie dev will actually go the extra mile to hammer together some cute X-mas game, but don't expect an AAA title, because it won't come. Ever. It's simple business, they don't want to sell at a loss, which is quite understandable.

I, myself, am still happy with the holiday themed mods, levels and episodes, because they entertain me until the Day passes, and then I can return to my StarCraft and CS 1.6 to kill time.

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
Jumplion said:
I don't see why it specifically has to be specifically a Christmas game though. It could just as easily be a video game about the holidays in general, much more broad, and it won't come off as some pretentious company trying to shove their religion down your throat...as much anyway.

Frankly, whenever I see a commercial that says they have a "Christmas Sale!" I turn to the next channel. If they have a "Holiday Sale" they get bonus points from me. Though that may be because I'm jewish :p

Besides, when was the last time you've seen a Hanukah video game, hmm? All the more reason to make a great "Holiday Game" rather than specifically a "Christmas Game", and even broaden the audience a bit more. Hell, I could even see a fun game out of that.
I think the key to a good Christmas title is too have a good holiday title, something you can play all year and touches all seasons ...

Playing a Santa game might be fun for a couple of days but it will soon grow old...