Larian Unleashes Divinity: Original Sin Screens and Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Larian Unleashes Divinity: Original Sin Screens and Video

The upcoming Divinity: Original Sin RPG looks like the real Divinity deal.

The curtains were pulled back Divine Divinity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117480-Larian-Reveals-Divinity-Original-Sin]. Today, we get a closer look, thanks to a pile of screens and a video showing some of the game's more advanced features in action.

The new Divinity game follows the adventures of two lead characters, a powerful warrior and resurrected mystic, who must uncover the "terrible truth" that binds them as they struggle to stop the rampaging orcs of Tanoroth. Dual protagonist mechanics features prominently in the game in both single and multiplayer modes, through cooperative spells and skills as well as an intriguing dialog system that uses character stats to resolve disputes between players. Combat is turn-based and the game world will be "large and dense," and also very interactive.

[gallery=730]

Based on these screens, it sure looks like a proper Divinity game, and it's going to sound like one too: Kirill Pokrovsky [http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/], the man behind the music in the previous Divinity games, is coming back for this one. Original Sin will also include a level editor, allowing fans to create and share their own adventures.

What it won't be, however, is on consoles. Larian produced an Xbox 360 version of its last game, divinityoriginalsin.com [http://www.amazon.com/Divinity-II-Ego-Draconis-Pc/dp/B002V1GFHS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338321743&sr=8-5].

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ooooh, cool. Quite a call for top-down RPGs of late, isn't there? Good thing these are fun things to have.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It ebbs and flows, I think. The Divinity games were good enough to warrant a sequel, but I think Larian was hoping to branch out into the console arena with Ego Draconis. It was by all reports a decent game (I haven't actually played it) but the studio has since cut ties with the publisher and says it will now self-publish all future projects. Perhaps Larian learned that a self-published PC-exclusive over which it has full control is ultimately a better proposition than getting caught up in the conventional developer/publisher milieu.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Divinity 2 was such a terrible, terrible game. Makes me sad to see that they're still around.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Divinity 2 seemed like a 'jack of all trades' kind of game.

Nothing was done super duper well, but all around, it was pretty decent, and I liked it for the most part. Note this was the extended version, after all the bug fixes. I heard that was pretty bad.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Well I'm resigned to the fact that I'm just not gonna get another Divine Divinity game, since this is a whole knew kettle of mosquitoes essentially separate from the 2002 classic. But, I will hand it to them they have come up with some remarkably fresh new ideas and focusing on multiplayer co-op is no bad thing. It'll be good, but it will still pale in comparison to the original and I get the feeling the game had more potential that was left at the side of the road.
Here's hoping it's worth a play.